Shingles Spray

by Andrea on July 26, 2008

shingles sprayRecently, a friend of mine was diagnosed with shingles.

It was very painful, and she asked me to make her a blend for the pain. I made her a shingles spray that she used five or six times a day. She reported that it really reduced the pain and the relief lasted for many hours.

The recipe includes a product called Solubol. This is an all natural “dispersant” that helps essential oils dissolve in water or hydrosols. As you know, essential oils and water don’t mix. When essential oils are added into a water or hydrosol spray, the tiny droplets of oil stay separate from the rest of the liquid. When sprayed on the body, we get tiny droplets of neat essential oil on our skin.

This is no big deal, except when dealing with sensitive or damaged skin. In the case of shingles, I wanted to use the solubol to be sure the essential oils wouldn’t disturb her skin.

Solubol is an all natural product. Here are the ingredients:

• Sucrose stearate — An emulsifier made from sugar and vegetable oil
  • Helianthus annus — Annual sunflower oil
  • Cera alba — Beeswax
  • Sterculia urens — a medium-sized, deciduous tree that exudes a gum called karaya, used in food as an emulsifier, stabilizer and thickener
  • The gum of the acacia tree
  • Propolis wax from bees

Here is the recipe for the Shingles Spray:

1 oz (30 ml) Spray bottle
About 1 oz (30 ml) of Yarrow hydrosol (Achillea millefolium; You could use other hydrosols as well, like Frankincense or Myrrh.)
10 drops Melissa essential oil (Melissa officinalis)
10 drops Sandalwood essential oil (Santalum paniculatum)
20 drops Solubol

I know Melissa and Sandalwood are some of the more expensive oils, but they are so effective when it comes to viruses and pain that I felt they were the best choices. I hope you never need this recipe, but if you do I hope you find it as helpful as my friend did.

Foam Soap Recipes
Aromahead's iPhone App: 72 Aromatherapy Recipes!
Make Sports Massage Oil with Spike Lavender

Owner/Instructor at Aromahead Institute

Latest posts by Andrea (see all)

• 3 Plants for Your Aromatic Garden - October 27, 2014
  • Aloe Avocado Soap-Free Face Wash - October 13, 2014
  • 5 Lavender Essential Oil Recipes - May 13, 2013
Get free essential oil recipes and tips emailed to you!

Maria July 26, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Yay! I remember you mentioning this success story. Very excited to see it on the blog!

Marge Clark April 7, 2009 at 7:26 pm

I love the idea of using a spray for Shingles! But, in total honesty, I think the blend of Ravensara aromatica in a base of Calophyllum Inophyllum (sometimes found as Foraha, or Tamanu) can’t be beat for effectiveness. Sure with it were light enough to spray on, tho!

Admin April 7, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Thanks for your idea. We have found that Ravintsara (Cinnamomum camphora) is more effective with shingles then Ravensara aromatica.

The spray was the most effective blend we have made yet! The pain of the shingles was relieved by the spray, when an oil could not be tolerated. I do like Tamanu (Calophyllum Inophyllum) for shingles and other skin issues, when the skin is not quite so painful.

We have more information about both Ravintsara essential oil and Tamanu (great carrier oil) on Aromatics International.

eve December 23, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Hi Andrea, where may I get Solubul in Asia (Singapore)? I am trying this recipe out for my dad

Andrea Butje December 27, 2014 at 10:57 am

I am sorry I don’t know where to get solubol in Asia.

Leah January 25, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I had shingles about a year and half ago. Initially the rash was very itchy. Not understanding I had shingles, I hunted through my medicine cabinet for anything that would bring some relieve. In my desperation I reached for my hemorrhoid cream and smoothed it over the rash. Yes, you read that right! I put hemorrhoid cream on my shingles rash! When the itchiness was replaced with pain I went to my doctor, he diagnosed me, and prescribed an antiviral. Needless to say I ceased all use of the hemorrhoid cream. Although I was grateful for the medication I remember wishing I had something to apply directly to the rash. Your spray would have been perfect!
Having shingles was such a painful experience; naturally I am nervous about getting it again. There is a vaccine in Canada; however, it is only available to anyone 50 years of age and older. I am 29. I am hoping not to get sick with this virus again but if I do I am so thankful to be equipped with your shingle spray recipe!

Indebted to you,

Andrea Butje January 26, 2015 at 11:51 am

Excellent! Let’s hope you never have to use the spray! :)

Nancy February 24, 2015 at 1:05 am

Marge, I have two friends who say your mixture can’t be beat! I have told so many people about it…they told me it worked within minutes, for the pain and to begin drying the weepy spots! :)

Kenene Farrington, RN April 21, 2015 at 8:10 pm

My sister-in-law loves this spray. So effective! I use Ravinstara, peppermint. sandalwood and Melissa.

Andrea Butje April 23, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Love to hear that Kenene! Great combo :)