Storage of Essential Oils

by Andrea Butje on June 23, 2009

Storing essential oilsThe best way to store essential oils is in a cold, dark space.

We have a cold room dedicated to our essential oils. I don’t normally like hanging out in cold, dark rooms (being more of a fan of the tropical scene) but our essential oil cold room is hard to resist!

When I walk in, I’m met by the smell of all the oils, blended into one exotic aroma.

We recently expanded our cold room, as we are ordering larger quantities of essential oils and butters now. When I turn on the light, the room is filled with colorful labels, bottles of essential oils from around the world, hydrosols, body butters, carrier oils, glass beakers and bags of resins!

I never thought a cold, dark room would be my favorite place!

An Interview with Aromatherapy Thymes Magazine
Spring is Here: Calm Your Allergy Symptoms Naturally
72 Aromatherapy Recipes on Aromahead's Innovative iPhone App!

Andrea Butje

Owner/Instructor at Aromahead Institute

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

• Homemade Gym Equipment Cleaner Spray - August 31, 2015
  • Sleep Sweet! A Bedtime Aromatherapy Recipe for Kids - August 24, 2015
  • How To Make a Homemade Bathroom Scrub - August 17, 2015
Get our blog posts delivered to your inbox!

Marge June 23, 2009 at 10:11 am

We store our citrus and conifers either in a refrigerator or a walk in cold room, most of the rest at cool room temperature.

Just wanted to remind your readers that some of the oils improve with age, and refrigeration will hamper this process. Most of the woods, roots, patchouli, etc. will actually profit by room temperature storage. You don’t WANT to delay the “aging process” with these beauties.

Admin June 23, 2009 at 11:08 am

Actually, we have found that our 15 year old patchouli has aged beautifully being kept cold, as well as all the sandalwood and vetiver-although we agree that those oils will do ok with room temperature cold! We have noticed a big difference in the shelf life our customers get from our oils when they are kept cold. You mentioned that you keep citrus and conifers cold, that’s good. Please don’t forget to keep all your aldehyde rich oils cold, and the phenols benefit as well. They will have a much slower oxidation rate if they have been stored correctly! (and therefore less concern for the skin in the first year)

Ally Kuo June 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Dear Andrea:

Thanks for sharing this info. Do you also keep your hydrosols in the same room? Do they require a lower temperature? May I ask the temperature range in ur cold room?

I keep my inventories in my cozy lab in the basement so it’s naturally cool. But I am still thinking to expand some ACs in needed.

Hug

Ally

Admin June 23, 2009 at 12:20 pm

HI Ally,

Yes, I keep the hydrosols in the same room. They need to be kept cold as well, actually, they seem more vulnerable to me then the oils. I keep the room between 65-70 degrees. I keep my lotions in an actual refrigerator to have them even colder, but everything else is in the cold room between 65-70.

Your basement sounds like a great storage place!

-Andrea

Glass Bottles October 15, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Thanks for sharing this, I’m glad I can find useful information on your blog. You are very knowledgeable about this subject.

Janette July 28, 2015 at 7:09 am

I live in Florida and keep my house at 76. After reading some storage hints I decided to put my EOs in the fridge. Should I keep them there? It seems so cold. Also I just ordered some butters and jojoba – should I refrigerate those as well?

Andrea Butje July 28, 2015 at 10:37 am

A fridge is a good place to store small amounts of oils and the carriers too, but I wouldn’t store too many oils in there for too long (your food can actually start to taste like the oils!). If you’re able to, a mini fridge specifically for oils would be best to have.