5 Salt Scrubs I Love

by Andrea on May 25, 2010

pink Himalayan salt scrubWant to know some of my favorite blends for salt scrubs?

I leave mine right in the shower or by the tub, and use them every few days. If I want to use them on my face, I substitute the salt for brown sugar and the rest of the recipe stays the same.

1. Coconut & Orange Tropical Scrub

8 oz (224 gm) Himalayan Pink salt
2 oz (56 gm) Coconut oil
2 oz (60 ml) Jojoba oil
30 drops Sweet Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis)

2. Vanilla & Lime Delight

8 oz (224 gm) Himalayan Pink salt
2 oz (56 gm) Coconut oil
2 oz (60 ml) Vanilla-infused jojoba oil
30 drops distilled Lime essential oil (Citrus aurantifolia)

3. Spikenard & Roman Chamomile Sleep Support

8 oz (224 gm) Himalayan Pink salt
2 oz (60 ml) Avocado oil
2 oz (60 ml) Vanilla-infused jojoba oil
20 drops Spikenard essential oil (Nardostachys jatamansi)
10 drops Roman Chamomile essential oil (Chamaemelum nobile)

4. Juniper & Lemon Detox scrub

8 oz (224 gm) Himalayan Pink salt
2 oz (60 ml) Trauma Oil
2 oz (60 ml) Jojoba oil
15 drops Juniper essential oil (Juniperus communis )
15 drops Lemon essential oil (Citrus limon)

5. Saro & Ravintsara Allergy Scrub

8 oz (224 gm) Himalayan Pink salt
2 oz (60 ml) Baobab  oil
2 oz (60 ml) Jojoba oil
20 drops Saro essential oil (Cinnamosma fragrans)
10 drops Ravintsara essential oil (Cinnamomum camphora ct. 1,8 cineole)

Directions for all the salt scrubs: Mix together in a 16 oz (480 ml) PET plastic wide mouth jar. In the shower or tub, use a small handful as a scrub and then rinse off the salt. If you want a smaller amount, just cut the whole recipe in half and use an 8 oz (240 ml) jar. Enjoy!

A Glance into Aromahead's Free Online Class
You Can Have Relief From Allergies!
How To Make a Cooling Body Mist for Summer

Andrea

Owner/Instructor at Aromahead Institute

Latest posts by Andrea (see all)

• 3 Plants for Your Aromatic Garden - October 27, 2014
  • Aloe Avocado Soap-Free Face Wash - October 13, 2014
  • 5 Lavender Essential Oil Recipes - May 13, 2013
Get free essential oil recipes and tips emailed to you!

Jessica May 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Great post! I received some Himalayan pink salt for Mother’s Day and never thought about using it in a salt scrub. Thanks for the wonderful ideas-I’ll continue my Mother’s Day pampering with these recipes!

rick November 4, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Great Blog. Where I can purchase some Himalayan pink salt?

Admin November 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Rick, Aromatics International sells it, it is really great salt for scrubs, baths and for the kitchen!

Rebecca Silence November 5, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Andrea, these are some really wonderful ideas for supportive blends! It hadn’t occurred to me to use salt scrubs to alleviate allergies. My partner has been relying on my Sinus Relief inhaler these last few sneezy weeks of autumn. I’ll have to whip up the Saro/Ravintsara scrub for him to try! Thanks for sharing!

Admin November 5, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Rebecca-thanks! In my experience salt scrubs are great for allergies! Also-making your own liquid soap with those same oils during the season is good too.

KC Rossi-Heart Blossom Essentials November 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Hi Andrea~

Awesome post!
I am having my first home party in December. Thinking one of these great recipes would be a nice interactive “sample station” for the guests.

Fun, fun. Thank you for sharing.

Admin November 6, 2010 at 6:48 am

Home party-excellent idea. sounds like such fun!

Alexandra December 12, 2011 at 11:29 am

Hi Andrea,

I’m new to the site, so I apologize if you’ve answered this somewhere else…
Out of curiousity, why do you choose Himalayan Pink salt as opposed to any other salts… like sea salt, for example?
Thanks!

Andrea Butje December 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Hi Alexandra,

Thanks for your question. All pure salts are great and I do love sea salts! I used the pink salts because they are beautiful and quite therapeutic. Here is what Mountain Rose sayas about Pink Himalayan Salts:

Beneficial Properties
Himalayan Pink Salt has a rich mineral content that includes over 84 minerals and trace elements such as: calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper and iron. This salt is recognized for its beautiful pink color, high mineral content, and its therapeutic properties.

History of Salt
Himalayan Pink Salt was originally formed from marine fossil deposits over 250 million years ago during the Jurassic era. Harvested from ancient sea beds, this rare and extraordinary salt has been a valuable commodity for centuries. Historically, the Himalayan people used this salt to preserve their fish and meat throughout the year, and every spring they transported the salt to Nepalese valleys for trade. Heavily burdened yaks would carry the salt along narrow sloping paths, mountains, and cliffs in order to sell and exchange the salt for other commodities.

Himalayan Pink Salt is still extracted from mines by hand, according to long-standing tradition, and without the use of any mechanical devices or explosion techniques. After being hand-selected, the salt is then hand-crushed, hand-washed, and dried in the sun.