Kenya Essential Oil Distiller

by Andrea on October 18, 2010

pic01_470Lubanchem Limited was named after the company’s signature product–“Luban”–the Somali word for Frankincense, or the Boswellia species.

The company is registered and based in Nairobi, Kenya. From their humble beginnings in 2002, the company now has its own facilities with 12,500 square feet of production area.

Due to its ability to adapt and change proactively, the company has progressed and expanded. This success is in large part due to Lubanchem’s commitment to research, development and application of the latest technologies.

Lubanchem works with communities and women’s groups in the war-torn regions of Somalia, as well as in the arid and semi-arid regions of Northeastern Kenya, to help them create regular sources of income.

The long, drawn-out civil war and unrest in Somalia has had profound effects on the nation as a whole.

The men are fighting the war, leaving the women to fend for themselves and the children. Due to the lack of a stable infrastructure, work is difficult to find, especially for the uneducated–collection and sale of the gum resin is the primary and only source of income for many families in the region.

Quality is uppermost in Lubanchem’s considerations–not only the quality of its products but also of its management, policy making, environmental protection, and social presence. The company aims to be a competitive global supplier in promoting the holistic benefits of wild-crafted organic essential oils. They are proud of their flexibility, attention to customer wishes and results-orientated approach.

Essential oils distilled and sold by Lubanchem

Frankincense species:

• Boswellia carterii
  • Boswellia frereana
  • Boswellia sacra
  • Boswellia neglecta
  • Boswellia rivea
  • Myrrh essential oil — Commiphora myrrh
  • Opopanax essential oil — Commiphora guidotti
  • Cinnamon bark and leaf essential oil — Cinnamon zeylanicum
  • African wild sage — Tarchonanthus camphoratus

Lubanchem accepts wire transfer for essential oil payments, as they have no credit card system set up.  You can email them through their website if you wish to order oils.  (Note: ordering from this company is best if you’re looking to import a large quantity of oil.)

Click on each picture below for a larger image.

Andrea

Owner/Instructor at Aromahead Institute

Latest posts by Andrea (see all)

Get free essential oil recipes and tips emailed to you!

Wendy Norman October 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm

How wonderful. Thank you. Frankincense is my favourite oil and it’s great to see this community at work.
Wendy Norman – Aromatherapist
Adelaide South Australia

Joan October 19, 2010 at 8:50 am

I’d like to try some of these oils, but I don’t order in large quantities. It would be great to hear from someone/company that will carry it and offer it for sale later. I love frankincense and want to support the people in these extremely challenging areas.

Andrea Butje October 19, 2010 at 10:10 am

Hi Joan,

I will let you know which companies decide to carry oils from Lubanchem. Thanks for asking.

Andrea

Christine Rose October 19, 2010 at 3:56 pm

The timing of this article is perfect. I have been looking for distillers to work with directly. And, I would love to be able to help the residents of this ravaged area. I will get in touch with them and see if it will be possible.
Thank you!

Admin October 19, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Thanks Christine! If you do import from them, let me know so I can send some people your way for their oils. I also have a Distiller Directory with contacts for over 50 distiller around the world-most of whom I have worked with extensively over the years (importing oils, having them tested with GC/MS). Here is the link for that directory: http://distillerdirectory.com/
The cost is $250 for the first year and if you wish to renew it is just $50.

Paul October 29, 2011 at 10:54 am

Hi I have some essential oils including frankincense and others.I am looking for buyer out there.

Andrea Butje October 29, 2011 at 11:01 am

Hi Paul, Send me more information about your business and i will see if i can help.

barkhad hassan November 11, 2012 at 1:41 pm

hi
i was wondering if you’d be interested in working as a partnership with some our communities in somaliland where you can find the three varieties of frankincense b.frereana, sacra and carterii as well as myrrh and opponax. im british somali and started importing these resin for destillation in the u.k and would love to hear from lubanchem as i think we can make a major difference. im currently in ceerigaabo somaliland and will be travelling back to the u.k with around 10mt for the sole purpose of distilling and receiving a fair price. you can contact me on 25224995073. looking forward to hearing from you.

Andrea Butje December 8, 2012 at 7:19 am

Thanks Barkhad. I will pass your information to someone I think might be interested!

Muhamad February 26, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Hi,

Am just surprised that this was written more than two years ago, but still informative and very good. Thanks Andrea for the Good Work. I am in Puntland – Somalia, and have got tons of Frankincense and looking for distillation companies and other interested Buyers. Price is just reasonable and standard.

morrash@gmail.com is my contact.

Thanks

Mohamed

Andrea Butje February 26, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Mohamed,
I will ask around for you, to see if anyone needs the resin for distilling. Can you ship to the USA?

terrence June 25, 2014 at 10:50 am

Hello,
I am interested in starting up a business in Nairobi Kenya supplying organic oils especially citronella oil. The problem is, i dont know where to source the oils from. Any one with an idea?

Peris December 13, 2014 at 1:49 am

Am located in Nairobi, kenya and would like to purchase some essential oils. How and where can i get them? Thank you

Andrea Butje December 17, 2014 at 10:01 am

Hi Peris – Aromatics International will ship to you; their website is http://www.aromaticsinternational.com. Also check out Scatters in South Africa – http://www.scattersoils.com. Hope this helps!

John February 26, 2015 at 9:28 am

Hi Peris, I can connect you to a company that sells Steam Distilled Bulgarian Rose essential Oil.
If interested contact me on johnwairiuko@gmail.com

John February 26, 2015 at 9:31 am

Hello,
I am looking for Steam Distilled Bulgarian Rose Essential Oil buyers. If interested or know some companies/individuals who would be interested, please reach me on johnwairiuko@gmail.com

Kabaty March 2, 2015 at 4:49 pm

We are a essential oil distillers based in Nairobi with a broad range of essential oils such as eucalyptus, leleshwa, geranium, Croton, frankincense, myrrh, Mexican marigold, cinnamon, ginger and many more. For more enquiries, just contact me on my email above.

koni March 31, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Hi Kabaty,

am interested to buy essential oil , could you please send me your address and Cel no,

John Donald Angira April 8, 2015 at 1:56 am

Kindly contact me should want to know the quality of the oils by Gas Chromatography-Mass spectrometry

Muthoni Kabeberi April 11, 2015 at 3:35 am

Hi Kabati. l would like to discuss further. I can’t see your email address. Please contact me on kabeberi@yahoo.com or +254722842164 Muthoni

beth May 20, 2015 at 10:47 am

pls share email.im interested.

Jane May 31, 2015 at 7:54 am

kabaty
I am interested in buying some essential oil…please send me your e- mail address

Sebhatu June 8, 2015 at 7:24 am

Hi , we thank you for this great blog and we are looking for a buyer for our frankincense essential oil. We are located in Asmara – Eritrea you can contact us through our telephone 00291-1-117030 or mail to us: mehreteabs@gmail.com
BR

Andrea Butje June 8, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Hi Sebhatu – we don’t sell oils at Aromahead Institute. I would suggest contacting a few companies who do, like Aromatics International. :)