New Tool for Liquid Soapmaking: Foamer Pumps

by Andrea on December 12, 2010

Foamer pumps for liquid soapThis summer I bought some bottles and foamer pumps for liquid soap  from SKS Bottles.

I added organic Castile soap, organic aloe vera gel, organic jojoba and some essential oils to the container, and to my complete delight, I had foam soap!

I know these containers are not new, but this is the first time I have used them. SKS says, “The white plastic foamer pumps create foam without the use of gas propellants and allow for precise mixing of liquid and air, producing a dose of high quality foam with each stroke.” Just air? Now that is remarkable!

I am now making soap, shower gel, and shaving cream. The recipes below can be adjusted based on personal preference. All the recipes use the same three ingredients in slightly different proportions. When I first made these products, I measured the ingredients. Now I just estimate!

Only fill your bottle 3/4 of the way, as the foam top needs room to expand.

SKS only sells in bulk. If you want to buy them individually, Aromatics International has them.

2 oz Foam Soap
1 oz Castile soap
.25 oz aloe vera gel
.25 oz jojoba
20 drops of essential oil (I like Peppermint – Mentha piperita)

2 oz Foam Shower Gel
1 oz Castile soap
.25 oz aloe vera gel
.50 oz jojoba or a bit less, so you don’t fill the bottle too high
20 drops of essential oil (I like Rosemary – Rosmarinus officinalis ct. camphor)

2 oz Foam Shaving Cream
1 oz Castile soap
.50 oz aloe vera gel or a bit less, so you don’t fill the bottle too high
.25 oz jojoba
20 drops of essential oil (I like Black Spruce — Picea mariana)

Andrea

Owner/Instructor at Aromahead Institute

Latest posts by Andrea (see all)

Get updates from Aromahead Institute!

Claudia Chapin December 12, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I use the SKS foaming pumps, too, and they produce such a nice, creamy foam.

Jaime December 12, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I love these! Just refilled mine this morning. Thanks so much for posting the recipes!

Rebecca Silence December 12, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I use and love these SKS foamers, too! Those velvety puffs of luscious foamy soap are to die for!

Thanks for sharing the specific proportions of ingredients… Have you found that the aloe gel settles out on the bottom at all?

xoxo,
Rebecca

KC Rossi-Heart Blossom Essentials December 12, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Hi Andrea~

Perfect timing! I just tried a hand soap recipe last weekend in these little foamers. My jojoba ratio was too high, which meant no nice foam puffs. Thank you for the proportions, looking forward to round 2. :o)

Christina December 13, 2010 at 8:16 am

Love these bottles!!!
I made Christmas soap blends for my clients this year, Balsam Fir and Mandarin, YUMMY!

Liz Fulcher, The Fragrant Muse December 13, 2010 at 9:23 am

What a fascinating concept. Must try!

Elizabeth Inman December 13, 2010 at 10:49 am

Hi Andrea, So nice to stay in contact through your blogs, etc. Long time no see. Things are good here at the lavender farm. Great harvest this year. YEA! Have you tried making this soap formula in larger quanities? I know my customers would love this and I would like to try making it as well. Does the formula stay stabilized at say, a gal, or 5 gal mixtures? Thanks Elizabeth

Shellie Enteen December 13, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Hi Andrea
Thanks for the message on facebook about buying with the bottles…I am unable to connect to facebook for some reason (Mercury retrograde I hope…not something more sinister or difficult!)so wanted to say thanks here…I have an aversion to the clear bottle, but I will try to overcome it so I can experience this foamy wonder! :-)
Best holiday wishes to you,
Shellie

Elizabeth Hornak December 14, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Andrea, YAY! I can’t wait to try this out. I would like to order the foamers and would like to know if you ordered a specific bottle to go with it? Beth

Patrick Smith May 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I have loved these recipes! Recently, however, I got a different kind of castile soap, which had a gel-like quality. I’m finding that this starts to clog up the pump mechanism – seems the gel starts to harden a little. Have you run into this? I may need to go with a more liquid castile soap like the original castile from Aromatics International?