Solid Natural Perfumes

by Andrea on January 3, 2011

Make your own natural perfumesI love solid natural perfumes. They can be simple to make, and are so beautiful–and I don’t have to worry about synthetics.

One of my new favorites is made with beeswax, vanilla infused jojoba wax, Neroli essential oil (Citrus aurantium var. amara), Petitgrain essential oil (Citrus aurantium var. amara or Bigaradia) and Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis). It’s divine!

To make it, use regular jojoba wax (jojoba oil is actually a wax), or infuse the jojoba with vanilla. I use vanilla oleoresin when I’m infusing, but you can also use vanilla bean pods. The oleoresin has a thick, syrupy texture and doesn’t dissolve in jojoba–it’s not fat soluble (this works to our advantage)!

Just add a large “blob” of vanilla oleoresin to 16 oz of jojoba and let it infuse for a week. The jojoba will absorb the aroma of the vanilla, but it won’t blend with the vanilla, so the vanilla blob stays on the bottom of the bottle. Once you have used all the jojoba you can re-use the vanilla by adding another 16 oz of jojoba–no need to add more vanilla! I have re-used my one blob of vanilla in 16 oz of jojoba six times already and the aroma of the vanilla in the jojoba is still strong!

If you want to use vanilla bean pods, simply follow the same instructions as above, but remove the vanilla pod at the end of one week. Each time you make a new batch, use a fresh vanilla bean pod.

Now that your vanilla infused jojoba is done, you can make your perfume!

Directions
1. Melt 1 oz of beeswax and 2 oz of vanilla infused jojoba in a double boiler. I use a Pyrex glass measuring cup in a soup pot. Use enough water to fill the soup pot 1/4 full, add the jojoba and beeswax to the Pyrex, and place the Pyrex into the pot.

2. Once melted, add 10 drops Neroli, 10 drops Petitgrain and 20 drops Orange essential oils to the Pyrex and stir. Pour immediately into three 1 oz tins, or three 1 oz glass jars. Cover and allow to cool.

It’s fun to experiment with different essential oil blends, but even just one essential oil can make a beautiful perfume. Some people use just Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia) or just Rose (Rosa damascena). Allow your creativity to guide you, and enjoy!

If you’ve made solid perfumes, will you share a favorite recipe by commenting below? Thanks!

Andrea

Owner/Instructor at Aromahead Institute

Latest posts by Andrea (see all)

Get our blog posts delivered to your inbox!

Gretchen January 3, 2011 at 8:36 am

I made a vetiver, patchouli & ginger solid perfume recently – very earthy!

margaret January 3, 2011 at 10:12 am

I made a solid perfume inspired by Mandy Aftels Lime and Fir diffuser oil recipe in AROMA (her book).
Silver Fir, bitter orange, lime, and lavender. Its beautiful!

Anamari January 3, 2011 at 11:00 am

Sounds wonderful! I have plenty of beeswax and EO to experiment with. Has anyone tried experimenting with different types of floral waxes?

Anamari

Mindy MacLaren January 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I made a solid perfume for a male customer with Orange, Sandalwood, and Siberian Fir. It was really nice!

Rebecca Silence January 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Along with blends, I also like to use the medium of solid perfume to showcase single-note precious essential oils and absolutes, like tuberose, jasmine sambac, Mysore sandalwood, rose otto, neroli, and the like. I had a teeny sample of boronia that lasted beautifully when I used it this way. It’s really decadent!

Julie Duncan January 13, 2011 at 11:54 pm

This sound lovely. I am going to try your recipe along with a creation of my own this weekend. I’ll be sure to let you know how they turn out.

Jessica Bellantone January 14, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Here’s one I call “Calm Pregnancy” for all the expecting mamas out there: 20 lavender, 10 atlas cedar, 10 rose geranium, 5 sweet orange, 1 lemon, and 4 chamomile. It’s a good end-of-term blend (affectionately nicknamed “Finish Line, Ho!”).

FRANCISCO vILLALOBOS January 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Perfume Aroma: How Things have Moved Ahead in Time

To know more on perfume aroma:

Since ancient times, humans have tried to enhance or mask their own body odor by applying perfume, since perfumes tend to emit pleasant natural aroma. Perfumes are mostly prepared from various man-made and natural ingredients and are applied on clothing as well as directly on skin. They are also used in the making of cosmetics and cleaners or also for the manufacture of room fresheners. Owing to variations in body temperature, odor and chemistry, none of the perfumes will produce the exact same smell on two different people.

The word perfume has originated from Latin word “per”, which means “through” while “fumum,” means “smoke.” A lot of antique perfumes were created from natural oils that were extracted from plants, by means of compressing and steaming. Then the extracted oil was burned, in order to release scent in the air. These days, perfumes are widely used in the production of bar soaps.

While all scented liquids that are used for enhancing body smell are termed as perfumes, in reality, real perfumes are classified as essences or extracts that include a portion of oil, treated in alcohol. The United States is considered to be the world’s leading perfume manufacturing country with yearly sales adding up to more than a few billions of dollars.

The most common natural ingredients, used in perfume making are flowers, spices, grasses, fruit, roots, wood, resins, leaves, balsams, gums, as well as animal secretions. Apart from these balsams, substances like petrochemicals, alcohol, coal tars and coal are also used in perfume production. Certain plants, like lily of the valley, are not capable of producing oils naturally.

A number of perfumes use animal products as major ingredients. For instance, musk produced by male deer, ambergris collected from the sperm whales and castor produced by beavers. Animal ingredients are frequently used, since they play the role of fixatives, which help perfume to slowly evaporate as well as release odors, for extended period of time. Other fixatives are used in production of perfumes are mosses, coal tar, resins and synthetic chemicals. At times water and alcohol are used, in order to dilute elements, present in perfumes. It is actually the alcohol percentage to scent, which decides whether a perfume is cologne or “eau de toilette”.

Sherran Blair December 7, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Try using solid perfume recipes substituting a skin-nourishing carrier
oil for some of the jojoba as a cuticle creme. I keep it in my purse and use during boring meetings, watching TV or stuck in traffic!

Michelle March 9, 2013 at 11:23 am

I have always wanted to try my hand at solid perfumes and all of these recipes sound wonderful! I am so glad I found this site!

Karen March 12, 2013 at 5:38 pm

This sounds wonderful. Can’t wait to try it!

Brenda June 21, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Sounds so easy and the perfume blend sounds wonderful, can’t wait to try this!

Kim June 23, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I love the idea of creating my own personal perfume. I am so turned off by the synthetic aromas on the market today and usually were some sort of EO, which I receive constant compliments on. Thank you for giving us another option to create with!

Kris D'Amour September 5, 2013 at 10:31 am

It’s nothing more wonderful than be able to have your own and natural personalised perfume, design based on your personality. My journey with essential oils and creating amazing natural products began 5 years ago. I decided to share my passions by creating Kris D’amour. Now everybody have a chance to create its own high quality perfume;)

Susan December 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I made my own natural perfume oil a few months back and started wearing it about 6 weeks ago. Everyone loves it and asks about it :)
I didn’t make it a solid though as it was before I saw this blog and was feeling a little nostalgic of the 80′s when you could make your own perfume oil blend in the Body Shop stores. My blend has sandalwood, patchouli, ylang ylang, jasmine and orange. I even add a little to my coconut and aloe blend that I use as my conditioner (and volumizer I might add!) and no one can stay away from my hair! I love that no one else has the same scent. I used to hate when I would wear a perfume that people could automatically identify. Truly unique building your own perfume and so rewarding!