Homemade Bathroom Grout Scrub Recipe

by Andrea Butje on February 16, 2011

Bathroom Grout Scrub RecipeCommon household cleaners often contain harsh chemicals. So we made our own bathroom grout scrub that not only works, but smells clean and delicious!

Can cleaning bathrooms and showers get more enjoyable? Really?

Bathroom Grout Scrub Recipe

Ingredients
15 drops Sweet Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis)
15 drops Tea Tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
10 drops Peppermint essential oil (Mentha x piperita)

Directions
In a 16 oz wide mouth container, mix the essential oils listed with 1 cup of baking soda, 3 tablespoons castile soap, 1/4 tablespoons cornstarch  and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar. Easy! Add more vinegar or castile soap as needed to make a smooth consistency.

Use about a teaspoon of this mixture on a scrubby sponge to clean the shower. I also use this on the kitchen and bathroom sinks.  The bathroom smells great and I feel good after cleaning!

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

Get free essential oil recipes and tips emailed to you!

Christina February 20, 2011 at 10:07 am

This works like a charm! I’ve never enjoyed cleaning before. Instead of holding my breath with cleaning products, now I’m taking a deep breath! Is there anything better than a slow deep breath??

Lucy Miller February 20, 2011 at 10:21 am

Thanks for the tip Andrea. I love my new grout cleaner – It smells beautiful, feels good and it cleaned my grout. I think I will do the other tiles today cuz I am lovin’ the aromas!

Kim February 20, 2011 at 10:47 am

Great bathroom scrub! So nice to be able to inhale the scents in a cleaning product and not get a headache or become light headed! Instead, I know that the essential oils I am inhaling while cleaning are actually benefiting my health! What a great combination!

Joy Musacchio February 20, 2011 at 11:22 am

This scrub is fantastic. I used to be a big bleach user for my bathroom until I came across this. Now I do not have to feel like I am poisoning myself to have a clean bathroom or kitchen. The great plus is that the aroma of the scrub is so uplifting and energizing!

paula s begel February 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

just made this !!!
smells awesome and works great !
especially up here in winter ! refreshing and efficient !

Maya February 20, 2011 at 7:09 pm

How great to be able to make something like this with just a few ingredients, and not only no scary fumes but a great scent and the wonderful health-supportive properties of the essential oils!

susan April 12, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I love your recipes! Do you happen to have one for a drain cleaner? I know there’s some way to use hot water or vinegar or something… any ideas? (Of course, I’d love to add essential oils, too :)

Thanks!

Lisa June 19, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Wondering how long this stores for…sounds great! Thanks for the tip!

Amy June 23, 2013 at 5:52 pm

This really works! It even gets hair color stains out of porcelain,. I have never been able to find anything that can do that. Plus the smell is amazing, puts me in a good mood.

Michelle October 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I’ve been crazy about this stuff ever since I made my first batch. I try to get everyone to use it!
I live in a very old buiding and the old tile shower was stained. One day as I was using the last of a jar of cleaner in the kitchen, I threw few blobs into the shower with the intention of cleaning it with a bunch more later. Turns out this blew me away and helped me to realize that it can be left on tough stains to dry and washed later. The blob spot on the gray shower floor was actually WHITE and I hadn’t added water or scrubbed it at all. I smeared a whole bunch over 1/2 of the shower floor and left it for 5 hours and when I cleaned it with a scrub brush and water it was like night and day. I actually took a picture of it as a testimonial. There are a few places that the grime just won’t budge and it doesn’t seem to work on the water/soap streaks on the old glass door, but for a completely natural AND beneficial cleaner it is amazing. I clean my sink A LOT more than I ever have because it’s just more fun.