Homemade Bathroom Grout Scrub Recipe

by Andrea Butje on February 16, 2011

Bathroom Grout Scrub RecipeCommon household cleaners often contain harsh chemicals. So we made our own bathroom grout scrub that not only works, but smells clean and delicious!

Can cleaning bathrooms and showers get more enjoyable? Really?

Bathroom Grout Scrub Recipe

Ingredients
15 drops Sweet Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis)
15 drops Tea Tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
10 drops Peppermint essential oil (Mentha x piperita)

Directions
In a 16 oz wide mouth container, mix the essential oils listed with 1 cup of baking soda, 3 tablespoons castile soap, 1/4 tablespoons cornstarch  and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar. Easy! Add more vinegar or castile soap as needed to make a smooth consistency.

Use about a teaspoon of this mixture on a scrubby sponge to clean the shower. I also use this on the kitchen and bathroom sinks.  The bathroom smells great and I feel good after cleaning!

Get updates from Aromahead Institute!

Christina February 20, 2011 at 10:07 am

This works like a charm! I’ve never enjoyed cleaning before. Instead of holding my breath with cleaning products, now I’m taking a deep breath! Is there anything better than a slow deep breath??

Lucy Miller February 20, 2011 at 10:21 am

Thanks for the tip Andrea. I love my new grout cleaner – It smells beautiful, feels good and it cleaned my grout. I think I will do the other tiles today cuz I am lovin’ the aromas!

Kim February 20, 2011 at 10:47 am

Great bathroom scrub! So nice to be able to inhale the scents in a cleaning product and not get a headache or become light headed! Instead, I know that the essential oils I am inhaling while cleaning are actually benefiting my health! What a great combination!

Joy Musacchio February 20, 2011 at 11:22 am

This scrub is fantastic. I used to be a big bleach user for my bathroom until I came across this. Now I do not have to feel like I am poisoning myself to have a clean bathroom or kitchen. The great plus is that the aroma of the scrub is so uplifting and energizing!

paula s begel February 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

just made this !!!
smells awesome and works great !
especially up here in winter ! refreshing and efficient !

Maya February 20, 2011 at 7:09 pm

How great to be able to make something like this with just a few ingredients, and not only no scary fumes but a great scent and the wonderful health-supportive properties of the essential oils!

susan April 12, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I love your recipes! Do you happen to have one for a drain cleaner? I know there’s some way to use hot water or vinegar or something… any ideas? (Of course, I’d love to add essential oils, too :)

Thanks!

Andrea Butje April 12, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Hi Susan,

I just use vinegar and a citrus oil to clean my drain, as needed.

Lisa June 19, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Wondering how long this stores for…sounds great! Thanks for the tip!

Andrea Butje June 20, 2013 at 10:01 am

Hi Lisa,
The shelf life is really long, easily a year if not longer, depends on the essential oils you use. The base ingredients all have a good shelf life.

Amy June 23, 2013 at 5:52 pm

This really works! It even gets hair color stains out of porcelain,. I have never been able to find anything that can do that. Plus the smell is amazing, puts me in a good mood.

Michelle October 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I’ve been crazy about this stuff ever since I made my first batch. I try to get everyone to use it!
I live in a very old buiding and the old tile shower was stained. One day as I was using the last of a jar of cleaner in the kitchen, I threw few blobs into the shower with the intention of cleaning it with a bunch more later. Turns out this blew me away and helped me to realize that it can be left on tough stains to dry and washed later. The blob spot on the gray shower floor was actually WHITE and I hadn’t added water or scrubbed it at all. I smeared a whole bunch over 1/2 of the shower floor and left it for 5 hours and when I cleaned it with a scrub brush and water it was like night and day. I actually took a picture of it as a testimonial. There are a few places that the grime just won’t budge and it doesn’t seem to work on the water/soap streaks on the old glass door, but for a completely natural AND beneficial cleaner it is amazing. I clean my sink A LOT more than I ever have because it’s just more fun.

Andrea Butje October 18, 2013 at 7:54 am

Hi Michelle,
Thanks for your great comment. I also absolutely love this product!! What a fantastic story about your shower. I am so glad you took a picture, great idea. :)

Deanna January 25, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Love the looks of this recipe. I’ve been wondering how to make a scrubby-like bathroom cleaner. This looks easy and I’m definitely going to try it!!
Thanks.

Andrea Butje January 26, 2015 at 11:48 am

Deanna,
Great! Let me know how you like it, I am hooked!

Tach May 19, 2015 at 1:37 pm

I just made this to clean my shower and so far it works great. I love the smell. It reminds me of the pine-sol my mom used to use but without the harsh fumes. I’m going going to ask my sister if she wants me to make some for her, just so I have an excuse to make more. Lol

Andrea Butje May 20, 2015 at 8:47 am

Haha love that Tach! Hope your sister enjoys it as much as you do :)

Korin June 7, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I have been using baking soda and vinegar to clean the bathroom, but the vinegar does not smell good. This scrub is delicious and works very good.

Andrea Butje June 8, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Glad you like it Korin! :)