Make Your Own Natural Skin Cleansing Pads

by Andrea Butje on June 14, 2011

Make your own natural skin cleansing padsTrying to deal with acne?

Skip harsh over the counter medicated pads and make your own Natural Skin Cleansing Pads with dried organic herbs, hydrosol, essential oils and apple cider vinegar. What could be better? (I admit, I ate chocolate while making these, and that was just a little better!)

This recipe is easy to blend and leaves your skin feeling cleansed and refreshed, even if you don’t have acne. The base is apple cider vinegar, which is known to be a restorative tonic and is often used as a carrier for acne blends.

Natural Skin Cleansing Pads Ingredients
(makes four 8 oz jars)

6 tablespoons dried lemon balm leaves
4 tablespoons dried chamomile flowers
3 tablespoons dried calendula petals
1 tablespoon dried orange peel
3 tablespoons dried grapefruit peel
1 tablespoon dried lemon peel
4 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
1 tablespoons dried sage leaves
3 tablespoons dried comfrey leaves
32 oz organic apple cider vinegar
16 oz of any skin healing hydrosol (I used German Chamomile Hydrosol)
32 drops of any skin healing essential oils (I used Lavender – Lavandula angustifolia)

Directions

1. Mix all the herbs together in a wide mouth 32 oz jar. Leave a few inches of space at the top. Pour the vinegar over the herbs, making sure it covers them completely. Wait for the herbs to absorb the vinegar, and then add more. Cover and place your jar in the sun or a warm window sill for two weeks. During the first few days, you may add more apple cider vinegar as the herbs absorb it. I used most of my 32 oz of apple cider vinegar, but not all.
  2. After two weeks, line up four 8 oz jars and stack each jar almost full with cotton round pads.
  3. Use a fine tea strainer to pour the vinegar into a clean 32 oz jar. It should fill the jar about half way.
  4. Fill the rest of the strained herbal vinegar jar with your hydrosol. It should be about half vinegar and half hydrosol.
  5. Add 32 drops of skin nourishing essential oil to your vinegar and hydrosol, close the cap tightly and shake.
  6. Pour your mixture over the cotton pads in the 8 oz jars. Place the caps on and let it soak for an hour before use.

How to use the pads

Take one pad and gently wipe the acne area with it. Place the used pad in a separate little bowl.  See how your skin responds after a few hours. If it feels good, use the same pad 3 times in a day and then toss it. Use a new pad each day. Avoid putting a used pad back in the jar with the new pads. Frequency of use depends on your skin and how it responds to the pads.

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

Get free essential oil recipes and tips emailed to you!

Rebecca Silence June 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm

This is such a great post. I make my own baby wipes, but haven’t yet tried facial cleansing pads… what an excellent idea! I love the herbs you chose for this infusion; they are so healing and nourishing for the skin.
Very inspiring! I’m ready to go whip up a batch right now! :)

Elizabeth Hornak June 15, 2011 at 10:33 am

Andrea,

Thank you for this wonderful recipe! I’ve only made oil infusions and can’t wait to try this one.

Pam Dore June 15, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Andrea,
THis comes at the perfect time. My teenage daughter has developed a lot of acne on one side of her face – I will definitely make this recipe. Thanks as always for your wonderful recipes and inspirational wealth of information you share.
Pam

Yolanda Cathcart June 17, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Thanks for sharing. I have most of the dried herbs already and can’t wait to try it.

Stephanie Veilleux-Welch June 29, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Andrea I was wondering if you could share where you got your pads from. I have only been able to find ones that are small and very fluffy and don’t work so well when soaked in solutions. Thanks!

Stephanie Veilleux-Welch June 30, 2011 at 8:51 pm

thanks Andrea!

Tracie Baxter July 5, 2011 at 6:53 am

Andrea,
This sounds great can’t wait to try it with some of my friends teenage children… several suffer from the acne and are embarassed by it… Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie December 10, 2011 at 11:01 am

Thank you for a great recipe, Andrea. I have made these before but without so many herbs. I am excited to try it with all these fabulous herbs. I added neem and rose hydrosols to my recipe since I didn’t have any chamomile on hand. I hope I can hold off for two weeks before trying this out!

Lisa March 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm

HI i dont know where you live, but if you have a dollar store, they sell packages of round flat cotton pads (instead of cotton balls), they come in a long package with alot of pads for 1.00 and they work wonderful!

jun June 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Hi Andrea,
It’s perfect timing! I just start a case study for Acne and I needed your recipe—!!!
I’m going to try to make one this weekend.

thank you.

Jun

Marian Prezyna December 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

Andrea, I just found this. I have dry ski with occasional breakouts. I have been using rosepetal or chamomile ijnfused witch hazel as a toner/cleanser/freshener. How can I adapt this, with which EO & hydrosol (I have a small distiller, so I am pretty versatile) for my own skin issues?

Linz December 18, 2012 at 7:59 am

That sounds like a really good idea; i’ve made skin care from oils before but this is great – a natural, quick fix!

Silvia Breton March 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Acne has been always a problem for me. I am ready to try it.

Faustino April 9, 2013 at 11:46 am

Good day I am so thrilled I found your blog, I
really found you by mistake, while I was looking on Google for something else, Regardless I am here now and would
just like to say thanks a lot for a marvelous post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.
Faustino recently posted…FaustinoMy Profile

Carlo Panggabean June 13, 2013 at 7:45 am

Hi,
This is a wonderful sharing on this website. I love to know how it can be self made to cure our acne problems.
Thanks admin for the great post.
Regards,
Amra Ayur Skincare
Carlo Panggabean recently posted…ENERGISE COLLECTIONMy Profile

Claudine Eskonen June 19, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Great post, can’t wait to try this recipe- thanks!

Kelly Arroyo June 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I need to try this! I can’t wait.

Misty Slagle June 23, 2013 at 8:55 am

I will be trying this for 2 of our teenage daughters. Their acne is so much worse than our older children’s used to be :( The soap I make them helps a lot but this might be an added bonus for them. Thank you for posting!

Ximena June 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Thanks Andrea for sharing this with us! I’ve been meaning to enroll in your full aromatherapy certification course and I hope to be able to do it soon! In the meantime, I am going to love trying this recipe out, thanks again.

ellie June 28, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I am going to make these this summer for my kids who are always looking to improve their skin.

Amy September 15, 2013 at 3:01 am

Thanks for the great information! I was wondering what the shelf life is on the cleansing pads and if they need to be refrigerator? Would like to give to my friends but want to be sure I know the proper method of storage for them. Thanks so much!