Skip harsh over the counter medicated pads and make your own Natural Skin Cleansing Pads with dried organic herbs, hydrosol, essential oils and apple cider vinegar. What could be better? (I admit, I ate chocolate while making these, and that was just a little better!)
This recipe is easy to blend and leaves your skin feeling cleansed and refreshed, even if you don’t have acne. The base is apple cider vinegar, which is known to be a restorative tonic and is often used as a carrier for acne blends.
Natural Skin Cleansing Pads Ingredients
(makes four 8 oz jars)
6 tablespoons dried lemon balm leaves
4 tablespoons dried chamomile flowers
3 tablespoons dried calendula petals
1 tablespoon dried orange peel
3 tablespoons dried grapefruit peel
1 tablespoon dried lemon peel
4 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
1 tablespoons dried sage leaves
3 tablespoons dried comfrey leaves
32 oz organic apple cider vinegar
16 oz of any skin healing hydrosol (I used German Chamomile Hydrosol)
32 drops of any skin healing essential oils (I used Lavender — Lavandula angustifolia)
- Mix all the herbs together in a wide mouth 32 oz jar. Leave a few inches of space at the top. Pour the vinegar over the herbs, making sure it covers them completely. Wait for the herbs to absorb the vinegar, and then add more. Cover and place your jar in the sun or a warm window sill for two weeks. During the first few days, you may add more apple cider vinegar as the herbs absorb it. I used most of my 32 oz of apple cider vinegar, but not all.
- After two weeks, line up four 8 oz jars and stack each jar almost full with cotton round pads.
- Use a fine tea strainer to pour the vinegar into a clean 32 oz jar. It should fill the jar about half way.
- Fill the rest of the strained herbal vinegar jar with your hydrosol. It should be about half vinegar and half hydrosol.
- Add 32 drops of skin nourishing essential oil to your vinegar and hydrosol, close the cap tightly and shake.
- Pour your mixture over the cotton pads in the 8 oz jars. Place the caps on and let it soak for an hour before use.
How to use the pads
Take one pad and gently wipe the acne area with it. Place the used pad in a separate little bowl. See how your skin responds after a few hours. If it feels good, use the same pad 3 times in a day and then toss it. Use a new pad each day. Avoid putting a used pad back in the jar with the new pads. Frequency of use depends on your skin and how it responds to the pads.
Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)
- Distiller Spotlight: Naturalness - September 15, 2014
- 72 Aromatherapy Recipes On The Go with the Aromahead App! - September 8, 2014
- Aromatherapy Organizations Around the World - September 2, 2014