Essential Oil Inhalers for Allergies

by Andrea Butje on July 28, 2011

Essential Oil Inhalers for Allergy Symptoms

Allergies can cause headaches from the pressure of nasal congestion. Often these headache can be relieved by using essential oil inhalers. Use the inhaler every 15 minutes for an hour whenever a headache starts to come on. The inhaler can also be used to ease the congestion itself.

Ingredients:

• 4 drops Balsam Fir essential oil (Abies balsamea)
  • 3 drops Peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita) *
  • 3 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (Eucalyptus globulus)
  • 5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia carterii)

Directions: Add these oils to the cotton part of a blank inhaler.

Sinus Steam

Allergies can improve with the regular use of essential oils! If you suffer sinus congestion, try doing the steam below two times a day for a week. Then take a break for a few days and do it again twice a day for another week. If you notice an improvement, continue using the steams for a few weeks.

Ingredients:

• 25 drops Balsam Fir essential oil (Abies balsamea)
  • 25 drops Eucalyptus dives essential oil (Eucalyptus dives) *
  • 15 drops Laurel Leaf essential oil (Laurus nobilis)
  • 40 drops Tea Tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)

Directions: In a glass orifice reducer bottle, blend the essential oils undiluted for an inhaler or steam. To do a steam, add one drop of this blend to a bowl of steamy water. Make sure the water is just steaming, not boiling. CLOSE YOUR EYES, lean over the bowl and breathe in the oil. To enhance the effects, use a towel over your head to create a tent. You only need one drop. No need to add another drop–even if you no longer smell the oils while steaming, they are still working.

If you’ve successfully used essential oils for your allergies, let us know by adding a comment below! Any of your favorite recipes are welcome, too.

*Blends with Eucalyptus are suggested for children over 10 years old and adults.
*Blends with Peppermint are suggested for children over 5 years old and adults.

Get our blog posts delivered to your inbox!

Rose May 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

I used Mentha piperita + Eucalyptys globulus and it was amazing!
Thanks!

Andrea Butje May 29, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Hi Rose,
That is so great! Yay!

Rozangela Alves June 19, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Thanks for the tips!
I love your blog!

Barbara Miller June 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Even with eyes closed, the steam really helped the dry, red, itching eyes. I am so grateful for my oils! When I use them, I try to remember to hold an attitude of gratitude in my heart for the sacrifices and energy that now contribute to my healing.

Elizabeth June 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I can’t tell you how I love the idea of allergy relief with essential oils. Unfortunately, my husband has epilepsy, so eucalyptus is not an option for us. worse, he gets headaches from ingesting mint. I wonder if anyone has suggestions for alternatives. He needs something portable for work, so a steam bowl would not work for him.

Andrea Butje June 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Elizabeth,
Have you ever tried an aromatherapy inhaler? You make it yourself so you could use the right oils for your husband. Here is a link: http://www.aromaticsinternational.com/Blank_Inhalers

Kris Jedene June 19, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I used your recipe for an allergy inhaler & I was so surprised at how helpful it was. I made several for friends of mine & they loved them too! Thanks Andrea!!!

Andrea Butje June 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Yay! So glad to hear that!

Stephanie Ghostkeeper June 20, 2013 at 6:59 am

I love using inhalers! Thank you for the fabulous recipes. Would you recommend inhalers for children, and if so how would you modify the blends?

Andrea Butje June 20, 2013 at 10:08 am

I would go to 10 drops rather than 15 and use oils that have no safety concerns for kids in an inhaler like lavender, and citrus-perfect for inhalers.

Danielle @ More Than Four Walls June 20, 2013 at 7:05 am

I didn’t know you could do this. I get occasional headaches typically sinus and allergy so this is wonderful to know.

Andrea Butje June 20, 2013 at 10:07 am

Great! I hope it helps.

Georgina June 23, 2013 at 9:35 am

I would definitely like to try such an inhaler. I have been really suffering this year from seasonal allergies. Do you know of a Canadian supplier who carries the inhalers? Or do you ship to Canada?

Thanks for all of the wonderful information on your blog! :)

Georgina

Andrea Butje June 23, 2013 at 10:09 am

Hi georgina,
Yes Aromatics International sell inhalers and does ship to Canada. http://www.aromaticsinternational.com/Blank_Inhalers

Shannon June 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I am definitely going to try this. Thank you for providing valuable and SAFE information!

Audrey Lightfoot July 8, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I love that! “I try to remember to hold an attitude of gratitude in my heart for the sacrifices and energy that now contribute to my healing!

Penny O. January 22, 2015 at 10:57 am

Andrea, I just had to let you know that last February I found this Allergy Symptoms Inhaler recipe and I made it for my husband who was having a very difficult time with allergies….so bad that he was laid up in the bed feeling like he had the flu with cold chills and all. This inhaler alone (he didn’t do anything differently except use this inhaler often throughout the day) caused him to have ZERO allergy problems for the rest of the year!!!! YAY!!! No more flu-like symptoms and missing days of work due to allergies!!! At the time, I was searching all over the place finding recipes and had actually forgotten where I found this specific recipe. I knew the EOs needed for the recipe since I wrote them on the inhaler, but didn’t know the specific number of drops, so when my hubby “sniffed all the goodness” out of his inhaler he was so upset that I couldn’t remember where I had found this recipe. Then a few days ago it dawned on me that it was through your blog. So this morning when I read your email about the contest, well that was just more incentive to go back through all your blog posts to see if the recipe was indeed on here. 😉 And it was!!!! My husband is going to be THRILLED when he comes home and finds a fresh inhaler for him!!! Thank you so very much for creating this recipe! It has *literally* changed my husband’s life!! All you do is magic! I am so incredibly inspired by your knowledge, passion and love for all things aromatherapy! I hope to one day be as inspiring as you are! This family is truly grateful for you and your life’s work! Biggest hugs ~ Penny

Andrea Butje January 22, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Penny!!
What a beautiful story! I am so happy to know how much the inhaler has helped your husband. I love how the oils can profoundly change people’s lives! That recipe came from my own experience with resolving allergies many years ago, so glad it helped you too. Thanks for writing.

Mary Polese February 23, 2015 at 6:43 pm

What oil can be substituted for the Eucalyptus? I do not have it right now, but my daughter is suffering from allergies really bad.

Andrea Butje March 12, 2015 at 8:20 am

Mary,
I like cedarwood as a good substitute.

Frances Clewein February 23, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I wish I’d said all that Penny said!!! I feel the same way she does about what you do! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Andrea Butje March 9, 2015 at 3:15 pm

You’re welcome Frances!! :)

Anita K Pullon February 23, 2015 at 9:41 pm

I would like the recipe please, I too have been having allergy issues and this is what I have been asking for

Andrea Butje March 9, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Hi Anita, here is the recipe:
-4 drops Balsam Fir essential oil (Abies balsamea)
-3 drops Peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita)
-3 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (Eucalyptus globulus)
-5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia carterii)
Enjoy :)

Teresa Kohan May 7, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Hi Andrea. I was curious if I can use White Fir in place of Balsam Fir for this nose inhaler recipe? Thanks, Teresa

Andrea Butje May 12, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Definitely Teresa! :)

Teresa Kohan May 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Thank you!

jacquie February 23, 2015 at 9:41 pm

I think you should post the recipe for us!

Andrea Butje March 9, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Hi Jacquie, here is the recipe:
-4 drops Balsam Fir essential oil (Abies balsamea)
-3 drops Peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita)
-3 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (Eucalyptus globulus)
-5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia carterii)
Enjoy :)

Kim Codner February 23, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Where did you purchase your inhalers? So glad you posted this, thank you..

Andrea Butje March 9, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Hi Kim – you can find them at Aromatics International. http://www.aromaticsinternational.com/products/accessories/blank-inhaler :)

Natishia February 24, 2015 at 2:23 am

I’m going to try this blend right away.
Do you have any recommendations for asthma, allergy caused asthma?

Andrea Butje March 12, 2015 at 8:18 am

Hi Natishia,
I love cedarwood essential oil as it is gentle and effective.

Sandy February 24, 2015 at 11:51 am

So exciting that EOs can be so helpful! We have just started using a few. Could you please post the link to the specific recipe? Allergy season is coming up! Many, many thanks!

Andrea Butje March 9, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Hi Sandy, here is the recipe:
-4 drops Balsam Fir essential oil (Abies balsamea)
-3 drops Peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita)
-3 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (Eucalyptus globulus)
-5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia carterii)
Enjoy :)

Sandy February 24, 2015 at 11:56 am

Oops… Just scrolled up and found the recipe! :) Can’t wait to try it. Also, is it safe to use for a three year old?

Andrea Butje March 12, 2015 at 8:16 am

Hi Sandy,
Glad you found the recipe. I generally don’t use inhalers with kids under five but you can diffuse the oils instead and that works well.

nadia February 24, 2015 at 2:42 pm

what was the Allergy Symptoms Inhaler recipe? or where can I find it?

nadia February 24, 2015 at 2:44 pm

sorry my computer didn’t show it, I see it now.

Andrea Butje March 9, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Glad you found it! :)

Judy Addington February 24, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Would someone tell me the recipe for the Allergy Symptom Inhaler? Thanks.

Andrea Butje March 9, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Hi Judy, here is the recipe:
-4 drops Balsam Fir essential oil (Abies balsamea)
-3 drops Peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita)
-3 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (Eucalyptus globulus)
-5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia carterii)

Andrea Butje March 9, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Hi Judy, here is the recipe:
-4 drops Balsam Fir essential oil (Abies balsamea)
-3 drops Peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita)
-3 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (Eucalyptus globulus)
-5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia carterii)
Enjoy :)

LINDA ISBELL February 25, 2015 at 11:58 am

Can someone explain where to find the “blank inhalers” mentioned in this post. Thank you so much.

Andrea Butje March 9, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Hi Linda – you can find them on Aromatics International. http://www.aromaticsinternational.com/products/accessories/blank-inhaler

Francine February 25, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Where did you find it?
I look under allergie and nothing…
I would really like to have it…
Francine

Andrea Butje March 9, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Hi Francine, here is the recipe:
-4 drops Balsam Fir essential oil (Abies balsamea)
-3 drops Peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita)
-3 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (Eucalyptus globulus)
-5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia carterii)

Jenny@PlantExtracts.org March 1, 2015 at 2:35 am

Can White Fir be used in place of Balsam Fir in the allergy inhaler recipe?

Andrea Butje March 12, 2015 at 8:14 am

Hi Jenny,
Yup! White Fir is a great substitution.

Grace March 3, 2015 at 11:10 am

Would love to try this! I don’t have Balsam Fir. Would Fir Needle work? Or another alternative? Thanks!

Andrea Butje March 12, 2015 at 8:11 am

Hi Grace,
Yes fir needle would work great!

Sheri March 7, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Reread the blog post. The recipe is right under the words “ingredients.”

Andrea Butje March 9, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Glad you were able to find it Sheri! :)

Sandy March 9, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Andrea: Do you have an allergy inhaler recipe that would be safe to use for a 3 yr old??? Thanks!

Andrea Butje March 12, 2015 at 8:03 am

Sandy,
I would suggest diffusing cedarwood (Juniperus virginiana is nice) for kids, it is gentle and effective.

Amber March 30, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Would Cedarwood be an acceptable replacement for Balsm Fir? And, is Frankincense frereana ok?

Andrea Butje April 10, 2015 at 7:36 am

Hi Amber – Yes, Cedarwood can be substituted for Balsam Fir, and Boswellia frereana is fine to use instead of Boswellia carterii.

Angel April 5, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Hi there, my husband’s allergies to dust and pollen are severe and debilitating ( and annoying . . .). He has had some success with lavendar and peppermint and fennel (suggested by my oils reference book). I am going to try your recipe! I am wondering about how to stop the allergy before it starts though, at the receptor level, instead of just treating the symptoms. Ideas?

Lisa April 29, 2015 at 10:48 pm

My 13 year old daughter rinses her nose with a Neilmed each night and she uses a nasal steroid afterwards for allergies. I have started using EO’s and would be interested to know if the E.O. nasal inhaler you made might be helpful to limit or stop using the steroid? We are sampling the use of a diffuser and oils on the feet too. I am pretty new at this, so trying a little at a time. We also limit wheat and dairy which helps quite a bit too. Thank you.

Wendy April 26, 2015 at 12:42 pm

can Siberian Fir replace Balsam Fir? Thank you.

Andrea Butje April 30, 2015 at 9:39 am

Hi Wendy – yes :)

Wendy April 30, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Thank you! I will give my husband this to try. The eucalyptus/Roman chamomile/frankincense blend wasn’t cutting it…

Carla April 27, 2015 at 3:27 pm

How often can I use my inhaler? Can it be “overdone”? I made one and have been using it when my cough is bad, which is really all the time. Just finished a round of antibiotics and steroids. Ugghhh…

Andrea Butje April 30, 2015 at 9:41 am

Hi Carla – you can use your inhaler as often as you like until the symptoms reduce. If you feel light headed or get a headache, then use it less, but otherwise in an acute situation you might want to use it quite often.

Andrea Butje June 1, 2015 at 8:24 pm