Essential Oil Inhalers for Allergies

by Andrea Butje on July 28, 2011

Essential Oil Inhalers for Allergy Symptoms

Allergies can cause headaches from the pressure of nasal congestion. Often these headache can be relieved by using essential oil inhalers. Use the inhaler every 15 minutes for an hour whenever a headache starts to come on. The inhaler can also be used to ease the congestion itself.

Ingredients:

• 4 drops Balsam Fir essential oil (Abies balsamea)
  • 3 drops Peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita)
  • 3 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (Eucalyptus globulus)
  • 5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia carterii)

Directions: Add these oils to the cotton part of a blank inhaler.

Sinus Steam

Allergies can improve with the regular use of essential oils! If you suffer sinus congestion, try doing the steam below two times a day for a week. Then take a break for a few days and do it again twice a day for another week. If you notice an improvement, continue using the steams for a few weeks.

Ingredients:

• 25 drops Balsam Fir essential oil (Abies balsamea)
  • 25 drops Eucalyptus dives essential oil (Eucalyptus dives)
  • 15 drops Laurel Leaf essential oil (Laurus nobilis)
  • 40 drops Tea Tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)

Directions: In a glass orifice reducer bottle, blend the essential oils undiluted for an inhaler or steam. To do a steam, add one drop of this blend to a bowl of steamy water. Make sure the water is just steaming, not boiling. CLOSE YOUR EYES, lean over the bowl and breathe in the oil. To enhance the effects, use a towel over your head to create a tent. You only need one drop. No need to add another drop–even if you no longer smell the oils while steaming, they are still working.

If you’ve successfully used essential oils for your allergies, let us know by adding a comment below! Any of your favorite recipes are welcome, too.

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

Get free essential oil recipes and tips emailed to you!

Rose May 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

I used Mentha piperita + Eucalyptys globulus and it was amazing!
Thanks!

Rozangela Alves June 19, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Thanks for the tips!
I love your blog!

Barbara Miller June 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Even with eyes closed, the steam really helped the dry, red, itching eyes. I am so grateful for my oils! When I use them, I try to remember to hold an attitude of gratitude in my heart for the sacrifices and energy that now contribute to my healing.

Elizabeth June 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I can’t tell you how I love the idea of allergy relief with essential oils. Unfortunately, my husband has epilepsy, so eucalyptus is not an option for us. worse, he gets headaches from ingesting mint. I wonder if anyone has suggestions for alternatives. He needs something portable for work, so a steam bowl would not work for him.

Kris Jedene June 19, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I used your recipe for an allergy inhaler & I was so surprised at how helpful it was. I made several for friends of mine & they loved them too! Thanks Andrea!!!

Stephanie Ghostkeeper June 20, 2013 at 6:59 am

I love using inhalers! Thank you for the fabulous recipes. Would you recommend inhalers for children, and if so how would you modify the blends?

Danielle @ More Than Four Walls June 20, 2013 at 7:05 am

I didn’t know you could do this. I get occasional headaches typically sinus and allergy so this is wonderful to know.
Danielle @ More Than Four Walls recently posted…Oven Rosted Asparagus Fries: A Veggie Book Preview RecipeMy Profile

Georgina June 23, 2013 at 9:35 am

I would definitely like to try such an inhaler. I have been really suffering this year from seasonal allergies. Do you know of a Canadian supplier who carries the inhalers? Or do you ship to Canada?

Thanks for all of the wonderful information on your blog! :)

Georgina

Shannon June 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I am definitely going to try this. Thank you for providing valuable and SAFE information!

Audrey Lightfoot July 8, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I love that! “I try to remember to hold an attitude of gratitude in my heart for the sacrifices and energy that now contribute to my healing!