Foam Soap Recipes

by Andrea Butje on October 12, 2011

Little Girl Jumping With JoyHomemade foam soap recipes are a huge hit!

These foam soap recipes are simple to make, soft on your hands, and smell great! I have foam soaps by my kitchen and bathroom sinks, and people comment on them all the time. They also make perfect gifts.

I buy the 2 oz (60 ml) and 8 oz (240 ml) sizes at SKS bottles. I use the 2 oz for traveling, and the 8 oz for the house. Be sure to purchase foam soap containers and not regular soap pumps. The special foam soap pumps create a foamy texture when you dispense the soap.

SKS only sells in bulk, so if you want to buy them individually, Aromatics International has them.

A Walk in The Pine Forest

8 oz (240 ml) foam soap container
7 oz (210 ml) liquid castile soap (make sure to leave room for the bubbly top to sink into the bottle)
30 drops Hemlock essential oil (Tsuga canadensis)
25 drops Sweet Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis)
25 drops Siberian Fir  essential oil (Abies siberica)

Citrus Sunshine

8 oz (240 ml) foam soap container
7 oz (210 ml) liquid castile soap
30 drops Grapefruit essential oil (Citrus paradisi)
25 drops Sweet Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis)
20 drops Steam distilled Lime essential oil (Citrus aurantifolia)

Germ Away

8 oz (240 ml) foam soap container
7 oz (210 ml) liquid castile soap
30 drops Tea Tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
30 drops Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
20 drops Thyme ct. linalol essential oil (Thymus vulgaris ct. linalol)
15 drops Palmarosa essential oil (Cymbopogon martini var. motia)

You’re So Sweet

8 oz (240 ml) foam soap container
7 oz (210 ml) liquid castile soap
40 drops Cardamom CO2 extract (Ellettaria cardamomum)
30 drops Sweet Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis)
10 drops Steam distilled Lime essential oil (Citrus aurantifolia)

If you have a foam soap recipe you want to share, please add it to the comment section.

Headache? Try Essential Oils.
Make your Own Inhaler for Muscle Tension
A Recipe to Make Your Own Homemade Toothpaste!

Andrea Butje

Owner/Instructor at Aromahead Institute

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

Get our blog posts delivered to your inbox!

Maya October 12, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I love a mix of any two, three, or all four of the following: grapefruit, basil, peppermint, and rosemary ct camphor, very fresh and summery! Also love bergamot mint by itself, and the conifer/citrus combo!

Lini October 13, 2011 at 8:09 am

I’ve been reading everything you send, of course!! The foam soap is as easy as mixing essential oils with liquid castilles soap? The foam soap dispenser makes it come out foamy???? WOW! I’m going to try that for Christmas presents!!
Thanks for sharing all your knowledge so generously!
>>> Lini

Shelia November 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I’ve been loving the combination of fennel and ginger as the weather grows cooler. Warming and smells clean and fresh.

Alyssa March 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I recently made my own foam soap! I used essentail oils of lemongrass, bergamot, lavender and used tea tree Castile soap.

Andrea Butje March 9, 2013 at 6:45 pm

That sounds great!!

Kathy February 14, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I currently have 3 favorite blends: lemongrass w/ clove, roman chamomile w/ geranium and tea tree w/peppermint

Miranda Waddill March 2, 2014 at 2:05 am

Most foam soap recipes only use a small amount of liquid soap (maybe 1/4 bottle) and fill the remaining space with water. Is this recipe different because of the consistency of castile soap or personal preference?

Andrea Butje March 5, 2014 at 11:56 am

Interesting, I have always used all soap- I guess personal preference. :)

Janet Payne March 5, 2014 at 9:58 am

I wondered the same thing; usually it’s mostly water with a little soap.

Lauralynn Hake April 5, 2015 at 10:52 am

How would adjust the recipe for toddlers in the home?

Andrea Butje April 10, 2015 at 7:35 am

Hey Lauralynn – For children over 5, I would recommend dividing the amount of oils by half in the foam soap. However, for toddlers, I suggest to use the foam soap without any essential oils in it.

Danielle July 16, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Could you use hydrolsols? Instead of oils for kids? Or maybe kid safe like lavender?

Andrea Butje July 17, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Hey Danielle – for children 5-12, you can just cut the number of drops of oil in half. That amount is safe for them :)

Danielle July 17, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Thanks!! I have a 3 and 5 yr old so it’s hard. Could I do less drops for both? Otherwise I’d have to use no oils. :( and I’ve currently been making soaps with water and Castile soap and oils but not a ton of drops. Like maybe 10 max. But I just tried the Castile and aloe and oil.

Elizabeth April 14, 2015 at 12:57 am

Hi Andrea, I have a leftover foam soap pump that I got from Bath and Body Works that does not specify whether it is PET plastic or not. Can I use that with a glass bottle or does the pump itself have to be PET as well. Thanks!

Andrea Butje April 14, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Hi Elizabeth – Sure, you can use the pump if it fits into your container. :-)

Debbie July 15, 2015 at 10:07 am

Hi Andrea. I’m curious about the amount of essential oil that you use. It seems like a lot to me. Does it take that much to truly be effective? That is, in order to kill germs and so forth do you really need between 75 and 95 drops of oils per 7 to 8 ounces of soap/liquid?

Andrea Butje July 17, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Hi Debbie – It seems like a lot of oil because we are making a fairly large amount – 7 – 8 oz container. It only comes to 2% dilution, which is 10-12 drops of oil per 1 oz of carrier. That is a good proportion for everyday use, but you can use less in the soap if you prefer.

Gloria Cantu July 15, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Hi Andrea, I love making foam soaps for kitchen and bathrooms. But, how do I keep my soap from clumping up in the bottle. Seems to happen after a few days. Thanks!

Andrea Butje July 17, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Hey Gloria – Liquid castile soaps vary in texture and consistency depending on the manufacturer. Some are thicker and more concentrated than others, and some can clump up easily. If your container clogs up, you can always use a toothpick to unclog it and run it under hot water. The castile soap I like to use is from Aromatics International:–organic

Andrea Butje July 21, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Hey again Danielle – we follow the essential oil safety guidelines set forth by Robert Tisserand, and he recommends not using essential oils on children 5 and under. You can use hydrosols though, as they’re much safer and okay for small children.