Essential Oils for Digestion

by Andrea Butje on December 30, 2011

There are several essential oils for digestion and tummy trouble relief. Below is a simple and helpful blend that smells great!

Essential oils for digestion offer a gentle, natural remedy for belly aches and pains. This blend is one of my favorites. You can use it after each meal, save it for when you know you’ll be eating something that might upset your stomach, or use it when you’re trying a brand new exciting dish.

For Digestive Support

4 drops Cardamom essential oil or CO2 extract (Ellettaria cardamomum)
5 drops Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)
3 drops Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
3 drops Peppermint (Mentha x piperita)

Blend essential oils in 1 oz of unscented cream or jojoba oil. Massage into abdomen after each meal. This blend of oils can also be used in an inhaler for nausea or car sickness.

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

Linda Addison November 10, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Perfect timing. Our neighbor had surgery last week and came to us yesterday asking for something to help with nausea from a new medication. We had a blend (inhaler) for flu symptoms which he took. But we are making this one up right now to take to him. Thank you and to those who offered comments which helped me know to use fennel since I didn’t have cardamom. I’m learning so much from you. Thanks for your generosity is sharing your wisdom.

Andrea Butje November 11, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Linda, Thank you for your sweet message. It’s my pleasure to share!
Let us know how it goes with your neighbor!

Tammy Sousek November 9, 2016 at 9:50 am

Hi Andrea,
I would like to be able to receive follow-ups on your blog’s. Your information has helped me out so much. Mainly the Allergy Webinar. I was was able to help my son and grand daughter.
Tammy

Andrea Butje November 9, 2016 at 11:42 am

That’s fantastic Tammy! You can subscribe to the Aromahead Blog and you’ll receive an email each week when I post. We have an option to subscribe at the top right of the blog. http://www.aromahead.com/blog/

Michele November 9, 2016 at 9:48 am

As I was copying this down for my recipe file, I thought – this would make a great inhaler. And then you added the same thing! Thank you again for sharing your recipes.

Andrea Butje November 9, 2016 at 11:44 am

Michele, you are most welcome! Let us know how it goes with the Digestive Support inhaler!

Virginia November 9, 2016 at 9:14 am

Is this a safe blend for infants and children?

Andrea Butje November 9, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Virginia this blend is intended for adults. There are various opinions about the best age to start using oils for babies and kids. My experience over the years has been that babies and young children are very sensitive, and so the Aromahead Approach leans toward the cautious side. In most cases when you’re doing a topical application for kids under five years old, rather than using essential oil, we suggest using hydrosols, aloe vera gel, butters, and carrier oils.

For children under 5 years of age we would suggest a gentle massage with Trauma oil. Trauma oil is an herbal infusion in olive oil (or another carrier) of three flowers – St. John’s wort, arnica, and calendula. It’s very nourishing for the skin and it has wonderful healing qualities. Here is a link for more information:

For children 5-12 years of age we would suggest to blend
3 drops Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) and 3 drops Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis) into 1oz unscented cream or jojoba oil.

Michelle July 16, 2013 at 9:14 am

For nausea would this blend be ok for a pregnant woman suffering horrible ‘morning’ sickness?

Andrea Butje July 16, 2013 at 11:14 am

Michelle,
This blend is too strong for use during pregnancy. Pregnant women often use an unscented cream with just 3 drops of Roman chamomile and 1 drop of peppermint, that can really help. 🙂

Cristina Paniewski July 16, 2013 at 8:20 am

Instead of Cardamon can I use Fennel?

Andrea Butje July 16, 2013 at 8:30 am

2-3 drops of fennel would work really well!

Joy Musacchio December 30, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Beautiful recipe. I must try this blend. We have used fennel, orange, a hint of sage in blend for digestion that has worked quite well.