But I’ll justify it because I lived in Ithaca, NY during the winters for many years! I know all about scraping car windows, black ice and freezing cold feet.
I had a few essential oils for winter that really got me through even the coldest, darkest nights.
So if moving to a tropical climate is not on your list for this winter, here are a few recipes to support your health through the cold months.
For the moment you feel even the hint of a cold.
Use a 5 mL bottle with an orifice reducer. Make a stock bottle with the following essential oils and then use 1 drop for your steam:
- 25 drops Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- 25 drops Ravintsara (Cinnamomum camphora ct. 1,8 cineole)
- 25 drops Black Spruce (Picea mariana)
Need to learn how to do a steam? Register for Aromahead Institute’s free online class!
The Best Inhaler
Add these oils to a blank inhaler and use 2–3 times daily for a few months:
- 3 drops Lemon (Citrus limon)
- 5 drops Black Spruce (Picea mariana)
- 2 drops Laurel Leaf (Laurus nobilis)
- 3 drops Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
Awesome Aloe Wash for the Shower
Begin with 2 oz aloe vera gel in flip top (pop up) PET plastic bottle and add:
- 10 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- 3 drops Neroli (Citrus aurantium var. amara)
- 7 drops Orange (Citrus sinensis)
Use freely on your body at the end of your shower and then rinse off.
“Keep Your Cold to Yourself” Diffuser Blend
Add drops to an electric diffuser filled with water and run until the blend is finished.
Right Before Bed
Add the following oils to 1 oz of unscented lotion:
- 5 drops Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)
- 5 drop Sandalwood (Santalum album) — Vetiver or Patchouli can be substituted for Sandalwood.
Apply gently to your legs, feet, neck and stomach.
During Your Morning Shower
3 drops of Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis ct. camphor/1,8 cineole) on the shower floor in front of where you stand. Breathe deeply!