But I’ll justify it because I lived in Ithaca, NY during the winters for many years! I know all about scraping car windows, black ice and freezing cold feet.
I had a few essential oils for winter that really got me through even the coldest, darkest nights.
So if moving to a tropical climate is not on your list for this winter, here are a few recipes to support your health through the cold months.
For the moment you feel even the hint of a cold.
Use a 5 mL bottle with an orifice reducer. Make a stock bottle with the following essential oils and then use 1 drop for your steam:
- 25 drops Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- 25 drops Ravintsara (Cinnamomum camphora ct. 1,8 cineole)
- 25 drops Black Spruce (Picea mariana)
Need to learn how to do a steam? Register for Aromahead Institute’s free online class!
The Best Inhaler
Add these oils to a blank inhaler and use 2–3 times daily for a few months:
- 3 drops Lemon (Citrus limon)
- 5 drops Black Spruce (Picea mariana)
- 2 drops Laurel Leaf (Laurus nobilis)
- 3 drops Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
Awesome Aloe Wash for the Shower
Begin with 2 oz (56 gm) aloe vera gel in a flip top (pop up) PET plastic bottle and add:
- 10 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- 3 drops Neroli (Citrus aurantium var. amara)
- 7 drops Orange (Citrus sinensis)
Use freely on your body at the end of your shower and then rinse off. I recommend making a fresh bottle of this every few weeks. I usually like to use glass with essential oils, but in cases where glass isn’t ideal (such as for a blend I might drop in the shower), PET plastic is a good choice. It’s known as a non-reactive plastic that doesn’t leach.
“Keep Your Cold to Yourself” Diffuser Blend
Add drops to an electric diffuser filled with water and run until the blend is finished.
- 10 drops Siberian Fir (Abies siberica)
- 5 drops Orange (Citrus sinensis)
Right Before Bed
Add the following oils to 1 oz of unscented lotion:
- 5 drops Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)
- 5 drop Sandalwood (Santalum album) — Vetiver or Patchouli can be substituted for Sandalwood.
Apply gently to your legs, feet, neck and stomach. I suggest blending a fresh jar of lotion and essential oils every few weeks.
During Your Morning Shower
3 drops of Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis ct. camphor/1,8 cineole) on the shower floor in front of where you stand. Breathe deeply!
Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)
- My Journey into the World of Essential Oils - September 19, 2016
- Rivendell Aromatics: Distilling Lavender Varieties in California - September 12, 2016
- A Vanilla-Infused Jojoba Massage Oil - September 5, 2016