Dry, Chapped Skin Butter

by Andrea Butje on February 15, 2012

chapped skin body butter

This aromatic butter recipe makes a silky, easily-applied chapped skin body butter that moisturizes, soothes, and protects.

Body butters are pure nourishment for your skin!

The true art of creating body butters has to do with the ratio of butter to oil to wax. To create a chapped skin body butter that’s soft and easy to apply, a 6:1 ratio is ideal. Six parts of butters and oils, to one part beeswax.

2 oz (60 ml) Calendula oil
1 oz (30 ml) Neroli infused jojoba
2 oz (56 gm) Palm Kernel oil
4 oz (112 gm) Coconut oil
2 oz (56 gm) Shea butter
1 oz (28 gm) Cocoa butter
2 oz (56 gm) Beeswax

1. Melt the beeswax and Neroli infused jojoba together in a glass Pyrex measuring cup. (Use the double boiler approach in picture above.)
  2. Add the cocoa butter and gently stir until melted. (I use a glass stir rod.)
  3. Add the coconut oil and palm kernel and gently stir until melted.
  4. Add the shea butter, remove from the heat and stir until melted.
  5. Add the calendula oil and stir until combined.

Pour into seven wide-mouth 2 oz (60 ml) glass jars, cover and allow to cool (makes about 14 oz, or almost .5 litres). I keep the ones I’m not using in the refrigerator for longer shelf life. The ones I’m using I leave at room temperature. The shelf life of this butter could be one year if all your ingredients are fresh. Ask your supplier when each butter/oil was produced. Smooth into dry, cracked skin (or over healthy skin to protect it), and enjoy!

And now for a small marketing moment . . . if you want to learn more about making your own products with essential oils, check out my aromatherapy recipe book, Essential Living.

Get updates from Aromahead Institute!

Mary August 25, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Love this essential oil blend. (Ylang Ylang and Patchouli are my favorites!!)
Is it okay to use orange oil in leave on skincare products? I was thinking it was photo toxic? Thanks so much!!

Andrea Butje August 25, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Hi Mary – orange is actually not phototoxic! I wrote a blog post about avoiding phototoxicity that you can find here: http://www.aromahead.com/blog/2010/03/22/citrus-essential-oils-avoiding-phototoxicity/ :)

Judy J. August 25, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Hi Andrea, There are a lot of oil/wax ing. in this body butter recipe..where do you recommend purchasing them, for a good price?? Also, you use Trama oil in previous recipes where do I find that? I do enjoy your e-mails and videos. Thank-you for your response. jj

Andrea Butje August 26, 2015 at 10:19 am

Hi Judy – so glad you’re enjoying the emails and videos! There are a few places we recommend for purchasing carriers:
Aromatics International – http://www.aromaticsinternational.com
The Jojoba Company – http://www.jojobacompany.com
Mountain Rose Herbs – http://www.mountainroseherbs.com

You can buy trauma oil from Aromatics International: https://www.aromatics.com/products/carrier-oils-butters/trauma-oil-organic

Judy J. August 26, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Thank-you for the info. jj

Andrea Butje August 27, 2015 at 10:17 am

You’re welcome Judy!

Donna August 26, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Any substitute for Neroli infused jojoba? I priced it and it is beyond my budget. Thanks!!

Andrea Butje August 27, 2015 at 10:15 am

Hi Donna – If you have Neroli essential oil, you can use a drop or two of Neroli in Jojoba instead of the infused jojoba. If not, just use plain Jojoba, it works just as well. :-)

Caron August 26, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Would you recommend any essential oils for this chapped skin butter? I was wondering about using Frankincense. Thank you so much. Love, love, love the recipes!
PS. how many drops for this amount? My frankinsence EO is not diluted.

Andrea Butje August 27, 2015 at 10:16 am

Hi Caron – Here’s a blend suggestion that combines perfectly with the skin butter recipe:
-35 drops Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata)
-60 drops Orange (Citrus sinensis)
-45 drops Patchouli (Pogostemom cablin)
If you want to use Frankincense only, you would need about 140 drops of it – because the butter recipe is for 14 oz of butter. This would be 2% dilution.

Caron August 26, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Andrea…I didn’t read your post completely and obviously missed the suggested EO oils to add to the butter. SS. But would still appreciate any blend suggestions that use Franksincense. TYSM

Andrea Butje August 27, 2015 at 10:16 am

You can try 70 drops of Frankincense, 35 drops of Lavender and 35 drops of Orange. Sounds like a lot of oil, because the butter recipe is for 14 oz. This is about 2% dilution.

Rebecca September 16, 2015 at 9:41 am

Which type of calendula oil is this recipe intended for? I have both calendula-infused olive oil and calendula-infused coconut oil, and I imagine the final texture and hardness would vary a little bit depending on which one I used.

Andrea Butje September 16, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Hi Rebecca – I used calendula-infused olive oil, but you can definitely try it with the coconut oil to see which you prefer :)

Rebecca September 16, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Thanks, Andrea! I’ll experiment and see how it turns out.

Andrea Butje September 17, 2015 at 3:12 pm

You’re welcome Rebecca! I’d love to hear how it goes.