Cocoa Butter and Coconut Oil: The Perfect Relationship

by Andrea Butje on February 24, 2012

Cocoa butter and coconut oil adore each other!

The textures of cocoa butter and coconut oil complement one another, and the aromas are perfect together. I like to make the following simple body butter for daily skin moisturizing. It’s silky smooth and can be used every day after your shower.

1 oz Beeswax
3 oz Coconut oil
3 oz Cocoa butter

Melt all three ingredients together and pour into four 2 oz glass jars with tops.

Cocoa butter and coconut oilCocoa butter (Theobroma nucifera) is a beautiful, hard, solid aromatic butter pressed from the roasted seeds of the Cacao tree in West Africa. It adds a silky texture to body butters, and is protective of our skin–it contains about 5 IU of vitamin E per ounce! Cocoa butter is particularly praised for its antioxidant properties, and is used to treat wrinkles around the eyes.

Cocoa butter and coconut oilCoconut oil (Cocos nucifera) has a fresh coconut aroma. It is moisturizing and serves as a protective layer, helping to retain moisture in our skin. Coconut oil is mild and nourishing for inflamed, irritated and sensitive skin. It’s also used for nail and cuticle treatment, and for healing for dry, itchy skin. It adds a tropical aroma to your body butters.

If you are excited to learn more about making body butters, I created a great online class at Aromahead Institute called Body Butters and Lip Balms. In this class you learn how to make body butters and specifically when you finish the class you know how to make:

•Scar Butter
•No More Pain and Inflammation butter
•Lip balms
•Lip gloss
•Solid deodorants
•Massage cocoa butter sticks

Learn more hereBody Butters and Lip Balms

Get our blog posts delivered to your inbox!

coconut oil benefits March 2, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Coconut oil is also great to apply on your sunburn. It cools, adds moisture to the skin and is anti-inflamatory .

Peter

Alyssa March 6, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I had a lot of success using coconut oil for my dry skin this winter. I highly recommend it!

Tracey July 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Do you need to add the beeswax? What does it do? Also, can you melt them in the microwave or do you need to use the stove?

Andrea Butje July 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Yes, the beeswax is what solidifies the product, without it you won’t have a solid product. I avoid the microwave, as I am concerned how it effects the properties of the butters.

Kristen June 19, 2013 at 7:56 pm

That sounds wonderful! Is cocoa butter safe for sensitive/acne skin?

Andrea Butje June 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Kristen- usually cocoa butter is very easy on the skin, test it out in a small spot and see but so far I don’t know anyone who has trouble with it. :)

Victoria March 19, 2015 at 10:26 am

I microwave them in 30 second intervals stirring well between intervals. I have had success and never had a bad batch of any product.

Natalie April 2, 2015 at 12:00 am

This recipe is PERFECT! I’ve tried a couple of others from different sources but they both turned out so hard it was like dragging something across my skin to try and moisturize! That said, would you recommend an oil or two to add so that I can make a nice man-scented blend for my husband and son?

Andrea Butje April 8, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Love to hear that Natalie! For manly scents, I like to add in Cedarwood, Siberian Fir or Black Spruce. :)

Ms.Blanca May 19, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Should I use filtered or unfiltered beeswax & where should I purchase this from? Thanks :-)

Andrea Butje May 20, 2015 at 8:48 am

Hi! The beeswax I use is from Aromatics International – according to their website it is “organically produced (however, not certified organic), unrefined, yellow and aromatic. It comes pre-cut into small pellets, making blending easy. Our beeswax comes from a company in New Zealand that uses no chemcials, peticides or sprays of any kind. Just pure, natural beeswax!” You can buy it here: https://www.aromatics.com/products/new-zealand/beeswax-pellets-organic

carolyn May 20, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Hi Andrea
love this recipe. Can you tell me how many drops of essential oil would be 3.5mls.

Andrea Butje May 26, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Hi Carolyn – Measuring by drops is not as accurate because of the different size orifice reducers and the viscosity of the oils, but approximately, there is 25 drops in 1 ml. So, 3.5 ml would be about 87-88 drops of oil.