Cocoa Butter and Coconut Oil: The Perfect Relationship

by Andrea Butje on February 24, 2012

Cocoa butter and coconut oil adore each other!

The textures of cocoa butter and coconut oil complement one another, and the aromas are perfect together. I like to make the following simple body butter for daily skin moisturizing. It’s silky smooth and can be used every day after your shower.

1 oz (28 gm) Beeswax
3 oz (84 gm) Coconut oil
3 oz (84 gm) Cocoa butter

Melt all three ingredients together and pour into four 2 oz (60 ml) glass jars with tops.

Cocoa butter and coconut oilCocoa butter (Theobroma nucifera) is a beautiful, hard, solid aromatic butter pressed from the roasted seeds of the Cacao tree in West Africa. It adds a silky texture to body butters, and is protective of our skin–it contains about 5 IU of vitamin E per ounce! Cocoa butter is particularly praised for its antioxidant properties, and is used to reduce wrinkles around the eyes.

Cocoa butter and coconut oilCoconut oil (Cocos nucifera) has a fresh coconut aroma. It is moisturizing and serves as a protective layer, helping to retain moisture in our skin. Coconut oil is mild and nourishing for inflamed, irritated and sensitive skin. It’s also used for nail and cuticle treatment, and for healing for dry, itchy skin. It adds a tropical aroma to your body butters.

If you are excited to learn more about making body butters, I created a great online class at Aromahead Institute called Body Butters and Lip Balms. In this class you learn how to make body butters and specifically when you finish the class you know how to make:

•Scar Butter
•No More Pain and Inflammation butter
•Lip balms
•Lip gloss
•Solid deodorants
•Massage cocoa butter sticks

Learn more hereBody Butters and Lip Balms

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

Get free essential oil recipes and tips emailed to you!

coconut oil benefits March 2, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Coconut oil is also great to apply on your sunburn. It cools, adds moisture to the skin and is anti-inflamatory .

Alyssa March 6, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I had a lot of success using coconut oil for my dry skin this winter. I highly recommend it!

Tracey July 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Do you need to add the beeswax? What does it do? Also, can you melt them in the microwave or do you need to use the stove?

Andrea Butje July 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Yes, the beeswax is what solidifies the product, without it you won’t have a solid product. I avoid the microwave, as I am concerned how it effects the properties of the butters.

Kristen June 19, 2013 at 7:56 pm

That sounds wonderful! Is cocoa butter safe for sensitive/acne skin?

Andrea Butje June 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Kristen- usually cocoa butter is very easy on the skin, test it out in a small spot and see but so far I don’t know anyone who has trouble with it. :)

Victoria March 19, 2015 at 10:26 am

I microwave them in 30 second intervals stirring well between intervals. I have had success and never had a bad batch of any product.

Natalie April 2, 2015 at 12:00 am

This recipe is PERFECT! I’ve tried a couple of others from different sources but they both turned out so hard it was like dragging something across my skin to try and moisturize! That said, would you recommend an oil or two to add so that I can make a nice man-scented blend for my husband and son?

Andrea Butje April 8, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Love to hear that Natalie! For manly scents, I like to add in Cedarwood, Siberian Fir or Black Spruce. :)

Ms.Blanca May 19, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Should I use filtered or unfiltered beeswax & where should I purchase this from? Thanks :-)

Andrea Butje May 20, 2015 at 8:48 am

Hi! The beeswax I use is from Aromatics International – according to their website it is “organically produced (however, not certified organic), unrefined, yellow and aromatic. It comes pre-cut into small pellets, making blending easy. Our beeswax comes from a company in New Zealand that uses no chemcials, peticides or sprays of any kind. Just pure, natural beeswax!” You can buy it here:

carolyn May 20, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Hi Andrea
love this recipe. Can you tell me how many drops of essential oil would be 3.5mls.

Andrea Butje May 26, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Hi Carolyn – Measuring by drops is not as accurate because of the different size orifice reducers and the viscosity of the oils, but approximately, there is 25 drops in 1 ml. So, 3.5 ml would be about 87-88 drops of oil.

debora cadene September 8, 2015 at 8:06 am

Hi Andrea…You included this recipie along with the cypress vein cream, in an email I recieved today. Does this lotion need to be whipped, or is it good to go after its all melted and into the jars? And when would you incorporate the oils?

thanks bunches,

Andrea Butje September 9, 2015 at 10:25 am

Hi Debora – If you are adding essential oils to the body butter, you would want to have it prepared in advance and stir it in once the carrier oil/butter mixture is melted, right before pouring into the jars. If you are adding to the unscented lotion, you can simply stir in the oils and mix well. :-)

Elke September 8, 2015 at 10:38 pm

I tried making body butter with beeswax but it developed sand like gritty balls of what I assume is the beeswax. I melted everything stovetop double boiler method. Also, I put 36 drops of oil in and my end result had ZERO aroma (I use GC tested oils that seem to work in the diffuser fine). Any ideas of where I went wrong? Thanks and love your website/blog!!!

Andrea Butje September 9, 2015 at 10:26 am

Hi Elke – There are many factors involved in making body butters, so it’s not easy to pinpoint what would be the cause of it. Usually the grainy texture happens when the butter is cooling and the various fatty oils within the butter cools at different rate. You could gently remelt it in a double boiler, and then cool it immediately by putting it in the freezer, which may prevent it.

Both coconut oil and cocoa butter have strong aroma, so if you’ve used 36 drops of oil in 7 oz of butter, that is less than 1% dilution, which is fine, but if you want stronger aroma, you may need to add more oils. 2% dilution would be 70 to 84 drops of oils in 7 oz. I would suggest to experiment with a small amount first and see what your preference in aroma is. Keep in mind natural products tend to have much softer and subtler aroma than synthetic ones.

Hope this helps!

Beverly November 6, 2015 at 9:23 pm

why does the lotion have to be put in four 2 0z jars…..can it not be put in a larger jar…

Andrea Butje November 10, 2015 at 12:10 pm

You can put it into a larger jar :) I usually travel a lot with my blends so it’s easier to have smaller sizes.

Scott November 19, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Hi. I hope you can help me. I have very dry skin and am also chemically sensitive. I used to use straight jojoba oil and for a short while used Emu oil (but that got too expensive). I was using unscented cocoa butter directly (would melt a small amount in a pan each night), but my sister informed me that I smell strange, like rancid oil. I switched to scented cocoa butter because I thought maybe some of the healing properties and what keeps the oil stable is being removed in the refining process. However, I notice I still have that odd smell to me of rancidity. Now I’m thinking of trying coconut oil (or butter) to see if I can solve this problem. One of the problems is I’m sure I’m using way too much, but my skin gets so dry at night that I can’t sleep if I don’t put a lot on. Sorry this email has a lot of issues going on in it. I would like to add some fragrance, but even essential oils can be overwhelming for me. I think I would be ok with lemon (or lemongrass?) scent (I like that smell). Does rosemary act as a preservative and is that smell overwhelming. I get really sick from lavender. Will the beeswax also help prevent any rancidity of the cocoa butter, and/or help mask the mild unpleasant smell I am currently getting from using straight cocoa butter. sorry for being all over the place, but any advice you have would be so much appreciated. I will try your recipe above, but thought I’d ask this before hand. Being chemically sensitive, trying something new can be scary, but I don’t want to smell bad, which apparently I am with my current moisturizing set up. Thanks so much, Scott

Andrea Butje November 20, 2015 at 11:39 am

Hi Scott – we prefer to use unrefined, virgin and organic carrier oils that are pure and unrefined. I would make sure that you are using fresh ingredients (check the shelf life); the rancid smell normally occurs when products are expired. Also, rosemary will not act as a preservative. This blog post might help you too:

I’d also suggest you sign up for our free course where you’ll learn about the basics of essential oils, as well as our Body Butters and Lip Balms course where you’ll learn to make your own body butters with a range of different carriers. Feel free to email me too if you have any questions :)