Spray for Cleaning a Sponge?

by Andrea Butje on September 11, 2012

spray for cleaning a spongeSometimes people ask me if I know how to make a spray for cleaning a sponge. I do indeed!

If we’re going to make a spray for cleaning a sponge, there are several great recipes we can use. They all involve water, white vinegar and essential oils.

Sponge sprays for sinks, tiles and bath tubs can also include hydrosols, castile soap and baking soda for extra cleaning strength.

Citrus Sponge Spray

12 oz (360 ml) Lime hydrosol
3 tablespoons white vinegar
20 drops Lemon essential oil (Citrus limon)
15 drops Grapefruit essential oil (Citrus paradisi)
15 drops Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis)

I recommend making this product fresh every few weeks.

I also use this spray to clean my sponges at the kitchen sink. I leave a small bottle of the spray by the sponge, and each day I spray both sides to keep it fresh and free of germs. Your kitchen will smell great and the sponges are kept clean!

Get our blog posts delivered to your inbox!

Brittani March 18, 2016 at 1:29 pm

After spraying the sponge down do you rinse or just leave it to air dry?? Also is the sponge way or dry when you spraybthem down?
Thanks.
*New to oils*

Andrea Butje March 21, 2016 at 9:27 am

Hi Brittani! After I use the sponge to clean dishes, I’ll rinse it out with hot water, spray it with the cleaning spray, and leave it to dry over night. If you’re new to essential oils, have you taken Aromahead’s free intro course? It’s full of important information about essential oils, and amazing recipes that you can begin blending right away—and it’s absolutely free! You can find out more info and sign up here: http://aromahead.com/courses/online/introduction-to-essential-oils

Christine October 2, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Where do you purchase Lime Hydrosol?

Andrea Butje October 3, 2012 at 6:30 am

Hi Christine,
I purchase the Lime hydrosol at AromaticsInternational.com

Traci September 20, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Thanks Andrea! I have just given a anti-viral / anti-bacterial blend to mydaughter’s kindergarten teacher for diffusing in the room. When I found out she didn’t have a diffuser I started brainstorming for other modes of use. Your cleaning spray is great!
Traci

Yolanda September 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I love your recipes. I have another hydrosol to add to the shopping list. I usually drop lemon essential oil on my sponges but I am going to try making this spray. I am trying to convert to using all natural cleaners.

Yolanda