Sponge Cleanser Video

by Andrea Butje on February 19, 2013

If you follow this blog, you know how I feel about cleaning kitchen sponges. (It’s not a compulsion–I promise!)

Well, I just thought it would be fun to share a video I made on cleaning kitchen sponges.

In the video, I demonstrate how to make a 2 oz spray that helps keep your sponges fresh and smelling great! I hope you enjoy it!

PS–If you’d like email alerts when I upload a new video to YouTube, click “subscribe” on my YouTube channel. (I promise my channel isn’t overloaded with videos about cleaning kitchen sponges!)

Click this link to go to the video: Sponge Spray

cleaning kitchen sponges

Get free essential oil recipes and tips emailed to you!

Margo November 27, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Andrea,
I have made 2 facial cleansers (Aloe Castile facial cleanser and Argan oil face wash), I use 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. I just love how they feel and want to continue using them, but I have noticed red blotches on my cheeks and there is a dryness around my eyes. What is best to use for a moisturizer? I am 68 and I get out in the cold to walk my dog, so my skin feels like I have been out side in the wind and cold. Again, I just love your recipes and thank you for your input.
Blessings,
Margo

Andrea Butje December 1, 2015 at 11:13 am

Hi Margo! So glad you’re enjoying the facial cleansers. For a moisturizer, I use this blend on my face – http://www.aromahead.com/blog/2013/05/06/simply-elegant-body-cream/ :)

Margo December 1, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Thank you for the moisturizer recipe, I can’t wait to try it. I have to order the Neroli yet, also I read that Neroli is very good for mature skin. :) Hope so.
I made the sponge cleaner and just love it. I spray a little on a damp towel to wipe up spots on my floor. It smells so good.

Andrea Butje December 1, 2015 at 10:13 pm

You’re welcome Margo – I hope you enjoy it! I love this sponge cleanser blend too; one of my faves :)

Melissa L January 25, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Cleaning sponges…hmmm, not your typical blog post! Or, perhaps I’m reading the wrong blogs!? 😉

What I really enjoy about this post and the accompanying video is the practicality of it.

I’ve had an interest in aromatherapy for years now but have never quite felt comfortable delving into their use. I often find myself hesitating about which oils to use and when, not sure if I’m “doing it right”.

A couple of months ago, I started watching your videos (although I’ve been on your mailing list for awhile now) and I appreciate is how your recipes are so simple and for such practical uses.

This sponge cleanser video is the perfect example: 3 oils, vinegar and soap? I can do that!

And it smells much nicer than that nasty odor emitting from my sponge when I microwave it to kill germs. (Ewwwww)

Thanks!

Andrea Butje January 26, 2015 at 11:47 am

So glad you’re enjoying the YouTube videos, and thanks for your sweet comments (totally agree on the sponge aroma)!! :)

Kat November 17, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Couldn’t you just use white vinegar and essential oils?

Andrea Butje November 17, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Sure, it is personal preference but I love the recipe I posted.

Susan S. June 20, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I love cleaning my sponges with this formula! It makes the whole kitchen smell clean and fresh! I even use the spray to clean my counters and dish rack.

tiffany March 15, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Thank you! I hate the idea of microscopic germs in the sponges!! I will try this.

Andrea Butje March 16, 2013 at 7:57 am

Tiffany,
My pleasure! Clean sponges rock! :)

kaylee March 11, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I can not wait to begin using my essential oil products that i have begun making! This is all so fun and new to me. Perhaps this may be a good side job for me.

Andrea Butje March 11, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hi Kaylee,
Of course I think it is an excellent side job!!

Christina March 11, 2013 at 12:02 am

Before this, I’d only heard the “microwave on high for 2 minutes” advice. I loathe the smell of dirty sponges and they get dirty so quickly! Alas, I have not mastered the art of using a rag instead! So glad you did this in video format. I can’t take your class (yet!) but this gives me a nice sample. Thank you!

By the way, what role does the hydrogen peroxide play in this mixture?

Sara March 10, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Thank you so much! I’ve been looking to do this!!

Andrea Butje March 11, 2013 at 8:00 am

Sara,
Great!! I love my spray and use it for cleaning in the kitchen and bathroom too.

DBobbi March 9, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Thanks for the sponge cleaning recipe.

Andrea Butje March 10, 2013 at 8:21 am

My pleasure! I also use it for cleaning in the rest of the kitchen and bathroom.

Ty Dennis March 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for the new videos.

Andrea Butje March 9, 2013 at 3:54 pm

My pleasure!

Carol Ritson March 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thank you for the sponge spray video and recipe, my mother hates that I use sponges instead of dish cloths so I will be sure to tell her about this!

Andrea Butje March 9, 2013 at 3:54 pm