Sponge Cleanser Video

by Andrea Butje on February 19, 2013

If you follow this blog, you know how I feel about cleaning kitchen sponges. (It’s not a compulsion–I promise!)

Well, I just thought it would be fun to share a video I made on cleaning kitchen sponges.

In the video, I demonstrate how to make a 2 oz spray that helps keep your sponges fresh and smelling great! I hope you enjoy it!

PS–If you’d like email alerts when I upload a new video to YouTube, click “subscribe” on my YouTube channel. (I promise my channel isn’t overloaded with videos about cleaning kitchen sponges!)

Click this link to go to the video: Sponge Spray

cleaning kitchen sponges

Get free essential oil recipes and tips emailed to you!

Carol Ritson March 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thank you for the sponge spray video and recipe, my mother hates that I use sponges instead of dish cloths so I will be sure to tell her about this!

Ty Dennis March 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for the new videos.

DBobbi March 9, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Thanks for the sponge cleaning recipe.

Sara March 10, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Thank you so much! I’ve been looking to do this!!

Christina March 11, 2013 at 12:02 am

Before this, I’d only heard the “microwave on high for 2 minutes” advice. I loathe the smell of dirty sponges and they get dirty so quickly! Alas, I have not mastered the art of using a rag instead! So glad you did this in video format. I can’t take your class (yet!) but this gives me a nice sample. Thank you!

By the way, what role does the hydrogen peroxide play in this mixture?

kaylee March 11, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I can not wait to begin using my essential oil products that i have begun making! This is all so fun and new to me. Perhaps this may be a good side job for me.

tiffany March 15, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Thank you! I hate the idea of microscopic germs in the sponges!! I will try this.

Susan S. June 20, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I love cleaning my sponges with this formula! It makes the whole kitchen smell clean and fresh! I even use the spray to clean my counters and dish rack.

Kat November 17, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Couldn’t you just use white vinegar and essential oils?

Melissa L January 25, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Cleaning sponges‚Ķhmmm, not your typical blog post! Or, perhaps I’m reading the wrong blogs!? ;-)

What I really enjoy about this post and the accompanying video is the practicality of it.

I’ve had an interest in aromatherapy for years now but have never quite felt comfortable delving into their use. I often find myself hesitating about which oils to use and when, not sure if I’m “doing it right”.

A couple of months ago, I started watching your videos (although I’ve been on your mailing list for awhile now) and I appreciate is how your recipes are so simple and for such practical uses.

This sponge cleanser video is the perfect example: 3 oils, vinegar and soap? I can do that!

And it smells much nicer than that nasty odor emitting from my sponge when I microwave it to kill germs. (Ewwwww)

Thanks!