Make Your Own Lip Balm!

by Andrea Butje on March 7, 2013

It’s fun and easy to make your own lip balm!

I’ll walk you through one of my favorite recipes for chapped lips. When you make your own lip balm, the basic idea is to first melt your coconut oil and beeswax, then add in the shea butter, and lastly add the essential oil. Let the blend stand and harden for a few hours before use. These make great gifts!

make your own lip balm

Lip Balm Recipe:

• 1 oz of beeswax
  • 1.5 oz of coconut oil
  • 0.5 oz of shea butter
  • 1 oz of jojoba oil
  • 20 drops of Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis)

This makes about 24 lip balms if the tube is 5 mL (1/6 oz).

Measure the jojoba, butters and beeswax by weight. I use a small kitchen scale.

Melt the coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler.* When everything is melted, add in the jojoba and stir with a glass stirring rod, then take off the stove. Add the shea butter and stir again until the shea is melted, then add the Orange oil and pour immediately into the lip balm tubes. It helps a lot to have a lip balm tray to hold the tubes in place while you pour the hot liquid! It also helps to have some plastic pipettes (like you used in chemistry class!), which can reduce the chance of spills.

Remember to let them solidify before you use them. I let mine cool for several hours. I hope you love them!

At Aromahead Institute, we offer a free online class to learn about essential oils: Introduction to Essential Oils. We also offer a more in-depth class about blending body butters and lip balms. It’s called . . . “Body Butters and Lip Balms” (imagine that!).

*For a home-made double boiler, try using a Pyrex measuring cup rested in a soup pot. Add the ingredients to the Pyrex cup. Then fill the soup pot partly up with water, place the measuring cup in the water, and bring to a gentle boil. The boiling water provides the heat for melting the beeswax, coconut oil and jojoba oil.

Aromahead Institute Now Providing New York Massage CEU's
Cocoa Butter and Coconut Oil: The Perfect Relationship
Sponge Cleanser Video

Andrea Butje

Owner/Instructor at Aromahead Institute

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

• Sleep Tight! A Bedtime Aromatherapy Recipe for Kids - August 24, 2015
  • How To Make a Homemade Bathroom Scrub - August 17, 2015
  • Homemade Shower Gel for Your Gym Bag - August 10, 2015
Get our blog posts delivered to your inbox!

Karen June 24, 2013 at 7:37 am

Such a simple recipe – it’s hardtop believe that more people don’t just get on and make their own “stuff”.

Marlese A. June 27, 2013 at 10:55 am

I love creating my own bath & body products – can’t wait to try this formulation!

TINA June 28, 2013 at 9:09 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR RECIPES AND ALL YOU KNOWLEDGE I ENJOYED MAKING THIS AND ALSO THE VIDEO WAS A GREAT IDEA THAN K YOU LOVE ALL YOU PRODUCTS AND YOUR INCREDABLE KNOWLEDGE OF THE OILS

Andrea Butje June 29, 2013 at 5:43 am

Tina,
Thanks for your great message and all your wonderful support!

Heather August 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Is there a rule of thumb guide or calculator for how much of a specific EO or flavor to add by weight, I know each oil has different strengths

Andrea Butje August 1, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Heather,
Not as far as I know. I use 1 ml (volume) essential oil per 5 lip balm tubes (the tubes are .15 oz. each). Which comes out to about 5 drops per tube and of course that depends on the oils i am using, but it works for a general rule. Hope that helps a little.

Mona November 9, 2013 at 2:59 pm

What do you recommend instead of shea butter? Our family has nut allergies.

Andrea Butje November 10, 2013 at 7:57 am

Hi Mona,
I love cocoa butter! It works great instead of shea.

faizah June 27, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Thank you so much I love to make natural products i am a farmer plant and orchid lovers i have a lot local essential oil I bought import essential oil too i would love to learn more to blend but my english very poor greetings from Bali. ……

Angel April 14, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Thanks for recipe! I have been wanting to make my own balm for quite some time. I did have a question though…I heard that Citrus oils shouldn’t be stored in plastic as it can degrade the plastic and put those toxins into your solution (lip balm in this case). Is this true about Citrus oils?

Andrea Butje April 14, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Great question Angel! Glass is always ideal but sometimes plastic is handy, like for travel or cleaning products or lip balms. You can’t use plastic for hot butters, but you can use it for blends when you have a carrier oil, water or gel. Be sure to use PET plastic as it is non reactive. You can’t store pure essential oil in plastic. Hope this helps :)

Jenny April 15, 2015 at 11:06 am

Where can we get the lip balm tubes?

Andrea Butje April 16, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Hi Jenny – you can buy them from Aromatics International: https://www.aromatics.com/products/accessories/lip-balm-tubes

Emma July 4, 2015 at 6:27 am

Hi Andrea, can the jojoba oil be substituted for another carrier oil which is less expensive? xx

Andrea Butje July 6, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Hi Emma – Sure, you may substitute Jojoba with any other carrier oils of your preference. :-)