Make your Own Inhaler for Muscle Tension

by Andrea Butje on March 18, 2013

Make your own muscle tension aromatherapy inhaler!When it comes to muscle tension, it makes perfect sense to apply a relaxing, pain relieving blend topically, right over the area that is sore. So why a muscle tension aromatherapy inhaler? The answer lies in the connection between your nervous system, and muscle tension and pain.

An essential oil inhaler can calm your nervous system, which in turn reduces tension and pain. It’s a simple yet highly effective approach to ongoing tension and pain relief (and it’s great for headaches too).

In this video I show you how to make your own muscle tension aromatherapy inhaler—it’s so easy!

Here’s the muscle tension aromatherapy recipe:

10 drops Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis ct. camphor)
3 drops Black Spruce (Picea mariana)
3 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
1 drop Peppermint (Mentha x piperita)

Get our blog posts delivered to your inbox!

Lisa March 18, 2013 at 9:03 am

Thank-you for another great video. It is amazing how essential oils not only work topically but also aromatically. I cannot wait to make this inhaler to share with others.

Andrea Butje March 18, 2013 at 9:09 am

Thanks Lisa!!! :)

Nurse Aromatherapist Rosita Ho March 18, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Thanks for reminding the association of the body mind and spirit in this particular common physical condition.

Carole March 19, 2013 at 9:50 pm

This is a great video showing not only how to make an inhaler but also the link between the mind and body.

Kristin March 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Wonderful video! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

Jules April 26, 2013 at 7:42 am

Great idea ! Thanks for sharing.
Where do you get the inhalers? I am not in States so would need to order online maybe.

Andrea Butje April 26, 2013 at 7:59 am

Hi Jules,
You can get the inhalers online here:

Jennifer Crass June 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I will have to try this. I try not to take medicine when I know it is only tension. Thank you.

Diana June 19, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Only missing Blue Spruce but am getting it soon. I am very anxious to make the muscle tension inhaler.. Your video is great. Thanks

Alexis June 19, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Going to give this a try! I wonder if it will help with muscle tension related to stress. Probably, right? Thanks!

Andrea Butje June 20, 2013 at 10:02 am

Yup, that is the idea! :)

Tracey June 19, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Thanks! I’ve never made an inhaler before and your information and video were very helpful!

Andrea Butje June 20, 2013 at 10:01 am

I am so glad to hear that, thanks for letting me know!

Linda June 22, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I must get Black Spruce to try this. I have fibromyalgia and my muscles tense up and get rock hard some days. Facinating how our body works with EOs. Thanks

Judy Lujan June 23, 2013 at 4:38 am

Love the mat cleaner spray recipes! Will definitely use! By the way – I am living in China. Do you know of a good source for essential oils in China? Thanks!

Andrea Butje June 23, 2013 at 8:51 am

Hi Judy,
I don’t know good source in China, but Aromatics International does ship to China….

AlayaAD June 24, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I am SO glad I came across this blog. I have low back pain due to stress and uncomfortable beds. I know that lavender and peppermint oils are my go to in order to relieve the tension. Also, as a dancer, when I’m really stiff and I am engaging in barre work or split and flexibility exercises, it really helps for me to massage the base of my neck and lower back to relax my nerves, inhaling the scents as well. Now that I know I can add two more oils to the mix, I’ll definitely seek out the opportunity to make a few inhalers.

Andrea Butje June 24, 2013 at 5:47 pm

How great!! Thanks for your excellent comment and let m know how the inhaler goes for you!

DianneBeattie June 28, 2013 at 11:04 pm

love to read your blogs – this one, in particular, seems like it would be very beneficial to me.

Teresa Lam July 14, 2013 at 5:53 am

I only think of masage or application of creams or lotions to treat muscle tension. I’ve never thought of an inhaler to deal with this physical condition. Great !

Debbie July 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Love the video education series.

Debbie July 21, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Love the video series.

Andrea Butje July 22, 2013 at 10:46 am

I tried to send you the eBook but the email was returned to me. I used this email:
Is there another way I can send it to you?

Deborah Badawi October 27, 2013 at 7:10 am

I have continuous rheumatoid and osteoarthritis. I am seeking natural ways to enhance flexibility as well as pain relief. I am also interested in beginning essential oil combinations after further study. I would love to make this as part of a way of living and bring it to my home as a way to create a business as well.

beebe December 4, 2013 at 9:56 am

Great How To Video!! and tips. I would love to try something new like this too.

Pam December 15, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Could I sub Cypress for the Spruce…? Thx, love all of your fabulous teachings <3

Andrea Butje December 15, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Yes, for sure! :) And thanks!

Shirley October 27, 2014 at 9:52 am

I so enjoy reading your emails and the introductory course was great. In reference to the above inhaler(muscle tension) recipe what could I used besides Rosemary? I have extremely high BP and read not to use Rosemary in my formulas. Thanks, Shirley, Crystal River, FL.

Andrea Butje October 29, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Hey Shirley,
Thanks for your sweet comment. You could use laurel leaf or frankincense. :)
Just so you know, rosemary does not increase BP, that is a bit of a myth and no research actually proves that.

Conny Horne January 25, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I have a friend with lots of allergies and smell sensitivities. She gets migraines and never allowed me to give her a massage with essential oils, just plain Jojoba wax.
Her son is gravely ill and she takes care of him at her home. Her mother has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. My friend is under a lot of stress. So I gave her an inhaler to reduce the stress, telling her that she can smell it whenever she likes. This way she has the control over it, different than if it was on her skin. And, she can smell it from some distance. She doesn’t even need to put it right into her nostrils! A couple days later she told me how much she loved the inhaler and had used it all up. It was all out of smell.
I asked her to show me the inhaler. When I unscrewed the inhaler tube it was strong smelling. My friend laughed. She didn’t know that she was supposed to unscrew the top of it.
Now she asks for more aromatherapy products.

Andrea Butje January 26, 2015 at 11:50 am

That is a great story about the inhaler! Too funny.

Tanja Kristensen March 22, 2015 at 12:27 am

Where can i buy this essential oil inhaler. I have never seen this before

Andrea Butje March 23, 2015 at 9:52 am

Hi Tanja, you can get them at Aromatics International – :)

Debbie Canavan March 23, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Hi Andrea! I love watching you teach, you’re a natural, for sure. I’m just wondering, I have some Idaho Blue Spruce; would that be an acceptable substitute for the Black Spruce in this recipe?
Debbie Canavan

Andrea Butje April 10, 2015 at 7:37 am

Hey Debbie – Thank you so much for your sweet message! Idaho Blue Spruce would be a great substitute for Black Spruce in this recipe. :-)

Jenni June 9, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Hi, I’d like to try this recipe but the wholesale companies I get my oils from don’t seem to have “black spruce” – can the hemlock spruce variety be used with same results? Thanks!

Andrea Butje June 17, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Hi Jenni – yes, Hemlock would be a very nice substitute for Black Spruce in this recipe. :)

Megan July 10, 2015 at 10:28 am

I made this yesterday to go with a tight muscle lotion blend, been hunched over studding for a big exam and have some pretty tight neck and shoulder muscles. My rosemary and peppermint are the same color and I accidentally reversed then, ( 10 drop peppermint 1 drop Rosemary) put it right up to my nose and nearly burn my skin, Hahahahahahahahaha needless to say I had to start all over with a new inhaler.

Andrea Butje July 13, 2015 at 11:00 am

Oh wow Megan – ouch! I’ve made mistakes like that before too, you’re not alone! :)

Janette July 28, 2015 at 6:53 am

I made my very first inhaler, not this one but Calm. I was so excited I did a big happy dance.
Looks like there are a lot more EO’s to order

Andrea Butje July 28, 2015 at 10:34 am

Love to hear that Janette! :)