Simply Elegant Body Cream

by Andrea Butje on May 6, 2013

body creamSimply Elegant Body Cream is quick to make and doesn’t require any melting on the stove.

This body cream has a lovely thick texture, and coats dry skin beautifully. Even a small amount of this cream is deeply moisturizing–and it lasts for hours!

If you love the aromas of shea butter, coconut oil and Neroli, you just might fall in love with this easy to make homemade body cream. Shea butter is famous for its moisturizing abilities–and is used for healing and cooking by women in Africa.  Coconut oil is perfect for addressing dry, irritated skin (and even conditions like inflammation).

Neroli is a gentle citrusy, floral scent, and the oil is known to support skin healing and soothe pain. The addition of the German Chamomile hydrosol to this body cream brings a surprisingly sweet and fruity aroma.

Some uses for your body cream:

• take care of your skin after sun exposure
  • preventing stretch marks during pregnancy
  • for dry skin, hair and nails
  • as a nighttime moisturizer
  • to soothe itchy,  irritated skin
  • to heal babies skin from diaper rash

Simply Elegant Body Cream

This thick cream is exquisite for dry skin. The aroma is slightly nutty and smoky with coconut and a hint of fruit from the hydrosol.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon Coconut oil
3 tablespoons Shea butter
1 tablespoon German Chamomile hydrosol
3 drops Neroli

Directions
All ingredients need to be at room temperature.

1. Mash the shea butter into the coconut oil with a spoon (ideal if the coconut oil is liquid).
2. Add the German Chamomile hydrosol and mix to a smooth cream. Mix in 3 drops of Neroli.
3. Store in a glass jar. As long as the shea is fresh it will last 6 months.

Notes: I keep my shea butter in the refrigerator. In order to get the ideal soft texture I leave 3 tablespoons of shea in a bowl on a warm windowsill. It takes a few hours to soften and then it is easy to mix into the coconut oil.

Learn to make your own body butters and lip balm in Aromahead Institute’s Online Class.
Sign up now (only $225) and begin right away!

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

Get updates from Aromahead Institute!

Dana B. May 7, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I have used Shea butter before but never to come up with my own Body cream, what a cool idea! It sounds pretty simple, I can’t wait to try it! Thanks for posting this!
Dana B. recently posted…RUSHFIT Work Out!My Profile

Laurie May 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Where can the german chamomile hydrosol and the shea butter
be purchased please?

Amy May 12, 2013 at 8:26 pm

What is German Chamomile hydrosol? Can I use essential oil or are they different things? Thank you

Delanie June 3, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Essential oils and hydrosols are different. Hydrosols are floral waters, and are often a byproduct of essential oil distillation. They are far less concentrated but still have many healing benefits. Hope this helps!

clare June 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I love coconut and shea butter, and Ilove the idea of not having to use the stove to make a batch of body care. Its so easy and fast. I love using tree smells so I add balsam fir and spruce to mine with a little orange. Reminds me of walking in the forest. Thanks for the recipe

Sheriden June 19, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Wow love this I ave always melted the ingreadients awesome going to try this :0)

Jenn Givler June 19, 2013 at 7:34 pm

This sounds like such a lovely, easy body cream. I’m definitely going to try this… I never thought to try and put one together without emulsifying wax… this is great – thanks for sharing!
Jenn Givler recently posted…Comment on Rest, Reset, Reconnect by JennMy Profile

Ny June 20, 2013 at 7:52 am

I like to use Shea Butter and Coconut Oil but have not used the Hydrosol yet. This is such a simple quick recipe to put together and I can’t wait to try it out! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Rose J. June 21, 2013 at 9:11 pm

This looks like a great recipe! I was just looking at store-bought body butter ingredients, and it was nearly all chemicals. I don’t have all the ingredients for this recipe, but I hope to try it sometime.

mysticskye June 22, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I love this recipe! I will have to order more Shea butter as I am currently out of this miraculous moisturizer. Although I love Shea butter in all it’s forms, I really like how this recipe mashes the oils into the butter. It makes for a quick, super creamy product without having to melt anything on a stove or worry about graininess as the moisturizer cools. Wonderful!

Tanja June 24, 2013 at 7:41 am

Never thought of making my own body cream even though I have shea butter

Nanette Conover June 28, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I love coconut oil and shea butter. I also cook with coconut oil as well as use it as a moisturizer on my scalp. I have Sisterlocks and my hair loves it. I would like to know more about how to mix and what not to mix and the different fragrance. It has become my new passion and I would like to make products as well.