5 Lavender Essential Oil Recipes

by Andrea on May 13, 2013

DSC_0091

Great ways to use lavender essential oil!

1. Try three drops in the tub. Just be careful when adding your Lavender essential oil drops–sometimes they can come out pretty quickly!  Three drops is plenty in your bath for a lovely aroma.  The aroma will fill your whole bathroom, turning a simple bath into a spa experience. (And you’ll sleep beautifully!)

2. For sunburned or wind-burned skin
, add 15 drops of Lavender essential oil in a spray bottle full of water, with a teaspoon of aloe vera gel (unscented) and 2 tabs of vitamin E. Keep it in the fridge for use on sunburns for an extra cooling effect

3. As a 100% organic skin moisturizer, use a 3–4 drops in 1 oz of organic jojoba oil

4. For effective calming action, use 5 drops Lavender and 5 drops Frankincense in an inhaler. Inhale during difficult situations or transitional times in your life. (Keep it in your bag or in your car!)

5. Make bath salts for your friends. Use 20 drops of Lavender essential oil in 4 oz of unscented bath salts for a great gift!

Learn more about using Lavender essential oil in Aromahead Institute’s free online class: Introduction to Essential Oils.

Andrea

Owner/Instructor at Aromahead Institute

Latest posts by Andrea (see all)

Get our blog posts delivered to your inbox!

jun May 16, 2013 at 10:44 pm

nice picture….i want to jump over with these lavender colored plants

didulaff2day June 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm

i think lavender is my most used oil,but im just a starter so i dont have that many oils yet :)

Susan June 19, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I must admit, as a lavender grower, I am a bit partial to the fragrance! Since I don’t have enough plants for distillation, I appreciate have hints like these to use when I buy my lavender essential oil for personal use and to share with my readers. Valuable post!

Andrea Butje June 19, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Thanks Susan!! :)

Paula June 19, 2013 at 9:50 pm

i Love Lavender I’m Always Looking For More Ways To Use Lavender.

chelli June 19, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I am very in love with lavender essential oil. I read somewhere that it can also be used internally. Is this safe?

Andrea Butje June 20, 2013 at 10:14 am

Hi Chelli,

Oils can be used internally however they need to be properly formulated and used correctly, this is a whole body of knowledge and rewuires an understanding of chemistry and physiology. Using them via the skin and inhalation is very effective and much simpler.

Fran Davidson June 22, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Lavender is one of my all time favorites, it goes on my pillow every nite. I have recently come off 2 pain RX’s and just recently Ambien. Suffering with fibromyalgia for over 15 years, I found my new love in EO’s!

Jamie R. June 22, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Lavender started my love of essential oils.

Keely June 24, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I love lavender. I live in Maine and about 2 weeks in the spring the black flies are unbearable. I find that lavender is the best way to keep them at bay and it smells wonderful. Now I’m going to use it in the summer on my sunburns too. Thanks

fran June 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Put lavender on my husband cuts after chopping palm fronds that crashed on his head. The scrapes & cuts looked like they were a week old after EO absorbed! He is sold on EO ‘s. Whatever I tell him to put on….he does!

Danielle M. Sales June 28, 2013 at 5:58 am

I really love lavender essential oil, and these five simple tips really rock!

Thank you!

Martha Ballesteros June 28, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I use essential oils in my Holistic Therapies Practice. The power of essential oils to help people release negative and traumatic emotions is amazing. Medicine should take this direction of healing and our planet would be different. We are pioneers of this precious information at this moment and it is our mission to spread the message. Thanks Andrea for the awesome work you are doing. Hope to come to your certification class one day. Blessings!

Andrea Butje June 28, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Thanks so much Martha! I love your comment and what you shared.

Therese October 29, 2014 at 10:08 am

I loved to use lavender EO in shampoo and bath salts. However it looses it’s aroma quickly. For example for homemade shampoo coconut milk and Castile soap 12oz. I used 20 drops of lavender. By the 3rd day the shampoo had no lavender aroma. What am I doing wrong? Are the lavender benefits still there since I can’t smell the aroma?

Andrea Butje October 29, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Hey Theresa,
I think you need to use more lavender. I would use 8-10 drops per oz, so 95-120 dros would be a 2% dilution and would most definitely help you hold the aroma in the shampoo. It is a wash off product and although it sounds like a lot of oil, it is not too much. Even 60 drops might do it. :)

Therese October 29, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Thanks for the quick follow up. 60 drops of lavender would double the cost of the shampoo. Where do you recommend to buy Essential oils?
Thanks

Andrea Butje October 31, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Therese,
I recommend Aromatics International. If your buying in bulk, the cost per drop of lavender should be reasonable.

Therese November 1, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Thanks again for quick response. Two more questions.
What is the difference between Bulgarian Lavender EO and French Lavender EO? Also I’m interested in purchasing your book do you offer a discount for purchasing both print and electronic version of your book?

Thanks
Therese

Andrea Butje November 3, 2014 at 9:43 am

Theresa,
The 2 lavenders are similar from a chemical profile standpoint but the aromas are different. The Bulgarian one seems softer to me, the French one more bold. I love to get Lavenders from several countries and compare, it is fun and I use enough lavender that it is never a problem to have several bottles. I love the one from India too.

I don’t offer a discount on the books,only because I just make a few dollars on the print one. Thanks for asking!!

Rehne Burge February 21, 2015 at 8:56 am

I too have Fibromyalgia and chose a holistic healing over drugs and Lavender is a huge part of my care. We could share healing methods.