Need Your Deodorant Crisis Resolved?

by Andrea Butje on June 12, 2013

Natural deodorant recipeAre you having a deodorant crisis? Don’t sweat it! Try this natural deodorant recipe.

There are all kinds of natural deodorants out there, and whether they work seems to be hit-or-miss depending on what’s right for your personal body chemistry. Maybe you’ve even gone on the hunt for a natural deodorant recipe you could make yourself.

I recently made a natural deodorant recipe that is so simple and easy . . . and yes, effective!

Anything that’s going under my arms has got to meet a few requirements:

• Smells good
  • Feels good
  • Easy to make
  • Organic

Once all that is established, then it’s all about which essential oils to add. That decision is personal of course, but I do have a few suggestions below.

Smelling Good!

Ingredients

• 1 oz organic, unrefined, not fractionated, just leave it alone Coconut Oil
  • 1 tbs arrowroot powder
  • 20 drops essential oil

Instructions

1. Combine the coconut oil and arrowroot in a small bowl and mix well
  2. Add your essential oils, and mix well
  3. Use a small amount under your arm to be sure the arrowroot does not irritate your skin (it's fine for most people)
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Customize this natural deodorant recipe with these essential oil blend ideas:

1960
15 drops Patchouli
5 drops Sandalwood

You Smell Like A Rose
6 drops Rose otto
7 drops Palmarosa
7 drops Geranium

Citrus Celebration
10 drops Lemon
5 drops DISTILLED Lime (Distilled Lime is not phototoxic, so be sure to use only the distilled Lime.)
5 drops Sweet Orange

I Don’t Care How It Smells If It Works
8 drops Tea Tree
4 drops Lemon
5 drops Palmarosa
3 drops Eucalyptus

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

Get our blog posts delivered to your inbox!

Mahnaz khaliqi June 13, 2013 at 6:07 am

Andrea,
Thanks so much for your information. You provide such an amazing resource for learning. I own a residential/commercial cleankng company called Green Apple Clean & Steam. I employ your techniques all the time. Thanks again!!

Naz

debby June 13, 2013 at 6:08 am

This really IS a great recipe! I’ve been using this same recipe for about 4 months & I can’t believe how great it is. The only difference between your recipe & mine is, I also add some organic baking soda. I love your posts & always try your recipes! Thanks!

Martine June 13, 2013 at 7:07 am

I have been having a deodorant crisis for the past two years! I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks, Andrea!

Ann June 13, 2013 at 7:47 am

The only thing I like better than these blends are the names…1960 and I Don’t Care How It Smells If It Works are my favorites! Andrea, thanks for your never ending inspiration and cheer.

Barbara June 13, 2013 at 8:25 am

Thank you for your Blogs & input. They are great. Can you tell me what could you use instead of ‘arrowroot’ ? thank you kindly.

Petie June 13, 2013 at 8:45 am

Thanks Andrea for all the wonderful recipes, This one is especially good.

Susanne June 13, 2013 at 10:29 am

Thank you so much for all those recipes!
It is really inspiring to follow you!
Susanne

Alice June 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I use cornstarch instead of arrowroot. It works GREAT! Be careful of some essential oils – direct application on the skin should be done only in diluted form. Tea tree oil in particular can burn or irritate, at least on me!
Alice recently posted…Vote for Alice and Connie!My Profile

Steph June 13, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I was so excited about this I had to go out and buy the arrowroot today! Just made it, using mostly patchouli and lemon eos, with just two drops of lavender. Excited for tomorrow :) Thanks Andrea!

Janice June 17, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Andrea, what is fractionated coconut oil? Is it more refined, because I bought some, but want only organic, clean and pure, and I am not understanding what the liquid coconut oil is and how it’s made.

Cindy June 19, 2013 at 3:34 pm

These are wonderful recipes that I am looking forward to using

Robin June 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Your recipe inspired me to try coconut oil and lime as deodorant.

Rachel June 19, 2013 at 4:33 pm

So easy. Love it!

maggie June 19, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I love this recipe thank you for posting, I have been having problems with a natural deodorant product I purchased at my local store so I will be trying this recipe out.

Tracy June 19, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I’ve been looking for a deodorant recipe that works. Thanks so much for posting this.

Heather Smith June 19, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Love this! Going to try it asap! Thanks for the recipe.

Tamjo5 June 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I am always in search of the perfect deodorant, but I never thought to make it myself. I can’t wait to get all the ingredients that I am missing to make my own. I appreciate all these recipes you share with us.

mary June 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I have been so concerned lately, reading so many articles on the dangerous of chemical deodorants. I find this recipe so simple and love the idea of adding my own blend of oils. I am looking forward to trying this and saying good buy to my chemical deodorant.
Thank you for sharing these blogs.

Mandy June 19, 2013 at 5:00 pm

This is deodorant only? Is there anything that can be added as a natural antiperspirant?

Tracy June 19, 2013 at 5:04 pm

This is fantastic…TODAY is the day that I finally got around to picking up coconut oil to make my own deodorant…and now, not only did I find a few ideas for oil combos to use (I was undecided exactly how I wanted to smell…), I also was able to enter a contest that I would LOVVVVE to win!! Thank you, Andrea!!!!!

Thea June 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I usually just use fractionated coconut oil and an EO of choice for deodorant. Would your recipe have any advantages to that, besides perhaps it would be in a more solid form that people are used to? I love the names you gave the blends too :)

Diane Viall June 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Always looking for deodorant recipes that work. This is brilliant – thankyou

Jennifer June 19, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Excited to give this a try!

Cattie June 19, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I’ve been meaning to try to make my own deodorant “forever”! Thanks for the recipes, I will finally give it a go! :-)

Dianna A June 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I have been using this recipe for about six months now and it really works! I am SO happy to have an easy, inexpensive, and healthy choice for deodorant!

Mary Burgess June 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I can’t wait to try this! thanks for posting :)

Trinity Cook June 19, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I’m eager to try making my own deodorant, as none of the store bought ones even work!

Julie June 19, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I can’t wait to try this!

amisha June 19, 2013 at 5:24 pm

i have never been able to get a natural deodorant to really work, so i am excited to try this with some of these different scent combinations. thank you!

lizfaye June 19, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for sharing this! It is so easy to make and I’ve shared it with a lot of friends.

Herbal Oma June 19, 2013 at 5:28 pm

How did you know that after 10 years with not needing deodorant things have recently changed? A life style change from sedentary to daily walking and physical exercise brought this on. For the past 4 years there are only herbal products in my house. This basic recipe looks easy and I already know the ingredients are OK on my finicky skin. Being a Flower Child of the ’60′s I will make up that one first. Thanks for ALL your knowledge you so willingly share.

Sarah Bilbro June 19, 2013 at 5:34 pm

After searching and searching for a deodorant that doesn’t have harsh chemicals/heavy metals AND actually works, I’ve decided it just doesn’t exist at any of the stores near me. So here I am, eager to make my own! Can’t wait to try the “Citrus Celebration”!

Jen Frazier June 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I’ve been experimenting with homemade deodorants and the search is still on for a good one. I’ll try these!

Kate June 19, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Interesting idea – will try this combination and tweak it. Thanks so much.

Christina Connors June 19, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I am somewhat new to going natural, I am slowly but surely changing everything from chemical nasty stuff to natural and wonderful. I would love to try to make this for us to save money and more importantly, be healthier. Thank you.

Nicole S. June 19, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I’m going to try this!! I’ve tried TONS of “natural” deoderants and recipes and none seem to work. Excited to try this one!

Penny Hagen, CMT June 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I’m very excited to try this out with the e/o blend I use in my own deodorant! I’ve been using a mixture of half witch hazel and half distilled water with a Dalmatian Sage-dominant synergy and lately it just hasn’t been working as well as it used to (probably because the Sacramento Valley Summer has kicked in and it’s 20 degrees hotter than when I originally started using it). I’m really looking forward to seeing how the coconut oil and arrowroot treat me, especially throughout a full day of massage. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, as always! :)

Erin June 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm

This is wonderful! I’m in the process of eliminating the amount of chemical-based products I use on a daily basis, especially those that I put in and on my body. Your posts are full of great resources that help people become more self-sufficient and health-conscious.
Thank you!

Vcasey June 19, 2013 at 6:52 pm

This is so great! Can’t wait to try this.

Anita June 19, 2013 at 7:32 pm

As an individual who loves to research about natural health and wellbeing, I have scoured the world wide web for home remedies that work and haven’t always been successful. Deoderants are a tricky issue as some dont actually work as well as its meant to so when I came across your tried and tested recipes, it was like a “breath of fresh air”! Please keep them coming!
x
Your #1 fan

Lauralee L June 19, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thank you so much for such a great recipe with some alternative customization blends! Can’t wait to try this out!

Angela June 19, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I’ve often wondered how to make my own deodorant. Now I know! I have sensitive skin and have had several issues with finding a deodorant that doesn’t irritate my skin. Can’t wait to try these!

Carol June 19, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for posting. This is great!

Roxanne Slemmer June 19, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Hi Andrea,
Does the coconut cause any staining if you sweat? I have been using a natural crystal deodorant and eucalyptus under my arms for years. My thinking was the antiviral and antibacterial properties going right into the lymph nodes. Thanks for the recipes !

Nancy Lubin June 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Thank you, Thank you! I have been slowly converting my 22 yo daughter to more natural ways for body care and deodorant has been a tough one, especially for one who works summers in hot kitchens / restaurants. Will be making some this weekend for sure.

Kelly Brancato June 19, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I have been trying to find a great deodorant recipe so I can’t wait to try this. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. My confidence in trying new recipes has increased thanks to you!

Lionesse June 19, 2013 at 11:09 pm

This looks so awesome. I can’t wait to try it out, and I think I have all the ingredients. Definitely 1960 is the one for me!

Karen G June 19, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Wow these are so simple! Thank you for sharing this. I have quite a few of the oils on hand, can’t wait to try some of these out. I hate the store bought deodorants, they work for awhile and then you have to find a new one. Plus who knows what is in them!

Elizabeth June 19, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Hello Mandy,

I understand your concern about antiperspirant. I am not sure there are any natural ingredients you can use. I was concerned, too. However, it hasn’t been a problem for me. Summer hasn’t really come here, so I will have to wait and see.

My recipe uses baking soda, which can irritate some people. I have not stunk since I have been using it. My clothes don’t have marks. I kind of want to scream at commercial deodorants- even the natural stuff from Maine wasn’t as satisfying as homemade.

The ingredients are simple and versatile enough that you can try this with low risk. Only you can determine if you are satisfied with the results. I hope you are as pleased as I am!

Cathy June 19, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Thank you so much. I will try this right away!