Make Your Own Aromatic Beeswax Candle

by Andrea Butje on June 19, 2013

Who doesn’t love beeswax candles?

This 6-minute video shows you exactly how to make your own beeswax candle with essential oils.

Warning: There is no going back! Once you make your own beeswax candle, with your own essential oils, nothing else compares. Be prepared to be seriously spoiled!

Making your own beeswax candles is a great alternative to buying commercial candles, which often have synthetic fragrances, metal wicks and petroleum-based waxes.  This way, only natural healthy substances are released into your space. Another plus is that when we work with natural beeswax, we support beekeepers!

[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:3]

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

Jeaneane May 10, 2016 at 7:28 am

Can I use a Vegan Wax like Sunflower?

Andrea Butje May 10, 2016 at 9:56 am

Hi Jeaneane – I think you can, but I have never tried it. If you do experiment, let me know how it goes! 🙂

Judy February 13, 2016 at 9:59 am

Thanks for the great video! I am so excited to try to make my own candles. But, In doing research about scenting candles with essential oils, I found a couple resources that stated: “..essential oils are not safe options for candle fragrances, either. A soy or beeswax candle scented with essential oils will release toxins, since combustion changes the molecular structure of these oils.”

I wanted to ask you, an expert on all things essential oils, if there is any scientific truth to this that you know of? Can you safely burn essential oils!? I would really love to hear what you have to say about it!

Andrea Butje February 16, 2016 at 10:53 pm

You’re welcome Judy! I am not an expert on making candles and there are different thoughts on using oils in candles. I don’t know of any solid research on the toxicity of burning candles that contains essential oils. My perspective is that essential oils are a better choice than fragrance or synthetic oils. The natural aroma is healing in and of itself. Heat does change the molecular structure of these oils, however the aroma is what we are looking for. Candles are usually for ambiance only, and not for therapeutic use… for therapeutic use, it’s better to use a diffuser that doesn’t generate any heat.

Diana August 26, 2015 at 4:13 pm

I’m considering making my own candles but I am completely new to the process. This video was extremely helpful, however, I have heard that using essential oils in candle making can be dangerous as some essential oils catch fire or burn easily. Have you found this to be true? If so, which essential oils would you and would you not recommend using? Thanks!

Andrea Butje August 27, 2015 at 10:17 am

Hi Diana – I’ve only made small votive and tea light candles, and with the amount of oils added in the video, there’s no danger of catching fire. It’s very safe. 🙂

Audrey Lightfoot October 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Great video! Where do you get your wicks from???

Andrea Butje October 5, 2013 at 8:51 am
Jill June 28, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your recipes! I’ve been wanting to make beeswax candles for a long time and now I can. I love your blog. I also got your book and put the app on my iPad. Bless you!

Andrea Butje June 28, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Jill,
Thank you so much for your beautiful message and blessings to you to!

Kariman Hassan June 26, 2013 at 2:32 pm

That is gorgeous, I’m going to try making that right now.

Andrea Butje June 26, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Great! Let me know how it comes out.

Saray June 24, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Thanks for the easy recipe! Great Christmas presents.