A Simple and Effective Aromatherapy Mouthwash

by Andrea Butje on July 3, 2013

Aromatherapy mouthwash recipe

Looking for an Aromatherapy mouthwash that tastes great, is made of natural ingredients, and actually gets the job done?

I’ve found that rinsing with peppermint hydrosol is a simple and effective Aromatherapy mouthwash. Peppermint hydrosol is great for taking care of your teeth and mouth. (Hydrosols are the pure healing waters produced during essential oil distillation.)

If you love the taste of peppermint, it can be used all on its own for an Aromatherapy mouthwash.

If you want a more unique Aromatherapy mouthwash, blend a few excellent mouth care hydrosols together. Try peppermint, myrrh and helichrysum.

The method is easy–the usual rinse and spit approach works great! You can also use this mixture during the day to refresh your breath. I recommend making this product fresh every few weeks.

Do you have a favorite hydrosol? Please comment below and tell us how you use it (I love comments). Thanks!

If you’re interested in other uses for hydrosols, check out this blog post.

kim Johnson June 13, 2016 at 10:52 am

Hi Andrea:) I do not have hydrosols, but a lot of the essential oils. Can you share a suggested recipe using the actual eo’s? Maybe a larger container to share, since the oils are more potent?
thanks so much!!
kj:)+

Andrea Butje June 13, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Kim, I am really fond of hyrodosols for mouth care. In fact, all our recipes for mouthwash are made with hydrosols!
I highly recommend trying hydrosols – they truly are equally wonderful: https://www.aromatics.com/products/hydrosols

Katie Wood June 7, 2016 at 10:21 am

Hi Andrea!

What a great recipe you’ve shared! I am very interested in trying this recipe, as my gums tend to be sensitive while brushing and flossing. My dentist is aware and has no concerns, but I would love to see if this could help! I went right on to Aromatics International and they are out of stock of peppermint. 🙁 Would you substitute with spearmint? Or recommend another place to purchase hydrosols? I am a new student as of April and I am loving all of the vast information you share!

Katie Wood

Andrea Butje June 7, 2016 at 11:57 am

Katie, it’s wonderful to hear that you are enjoying the information we share! That makes me smile!

Yes – you can substitute Spearmint hydrosol in this case. Enjoy!

Bobbi Ann DePierro June 7, 2016 at 9:08 am

Hi Andrea, What is the difference if you use an Essential oil like Peppermint and mix it with water and use it as a spray compared to buying and using a hydrosol?

Andrea Butje June 7, 2016 at 11:44 am

Bobbi Ann, that’s a great question! Hydrosols are healing, aromatic waters that are a result of the essential oil distillation process. During distillation highly concentrated essential oils are produced as well as hydrosols.

A hydrosol is an aromatic water that still has a lot of the properties of an essential oil but it is more gentle than an essential oil. A hydrosol is significantly less concentrated than even one drop of essential oil in water. The chemistry is different as hydrosols are made of the water soluble components from the plant. A hydrosol vs essential oil in water are two are very different products – we would suggest using hydrosol.

Jeanne June 7, 2016 at 7:52 am

I’m not familiar with hydrosols. Can you explain what they are, what they’re used for and where to find them, please? Thanks,

Andrea Butje June 7, 2016 at 8:39 am

Jeanne, hydrosols are healing, aromatic waters that are the result of the essential oil distillation process. So they still have a lot of healing powers, but they’re gentler. It contains the water soluble parts of the plant being distilled. Hydrosols have many wonderful uses – here are just a few: as a compress, in a bath, as a skin toner, mouthwash, room sprays, and for cleaning.

I dedicated a blog post to hydrosols and I hope you enjoy reading more about them here: http://www.aromahead.com/blog/2011/11/30/5-great-ways-to-use-hydrosols/

Aromatics International has a lovely selection of hydrosols:

Ana August 2, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hello, I was wondering, aren’t hydrosols, in general, too acidic? Especially for the mouth…

Andrea Butje August 2, 2013 at 12:20 pm

In my experience, they are wonderful to drink, although I do dilute them in water. Here is the website of a wonderful hydrosol distiller and she can answer all your questions based in her research on the acidic nature of the hydrosols. http://www.morningmystbotanics.com/

Venus July 16, 2013 at 10:05 am

Hello Andrea, I’ve just discovered your blog, YouTube videos and most importantly your Aromahead institute. I love everything. You are a wealth of knowledge. I make handcrafted soap and only use natural and vegan products. I only scent my soap with essential oils and I want to learn how to create a more beneficial soap. Thanks so much for providing so much free information. I plan to become a student of Aromahead institute ASAP. Thanks again.

Andrea Butje July 16, 2013 at 11:12 am

Venus,
Thanks for your great message!I am excited to work with you and help with the oils for your soaps!! 🙂

Ann July 4, 2013 at 5:39 pm

This is the blend I use instead of toothpaste, happy to hear any comments/feedback. I put 2-3 drops on my toothbrush after dipping it in a saturated salt solution. I would also normally dab my toothbrush in baking soda before placing the oils but since I ran out, I have just being placing the drops of oil directly on the brush.

To 40 ml of carrier oil – usually olive or sesame
ADD 8 drops of eucalyptus
8 drops of thyme (poss there is a best ‘CT’?
8 drops of myrrh
8 drops of oregano wild 80% caravcol
6 drops of tea tree or manuka
6 drops of peppermint taste mainly)
4 drops ginger
Put 2-3 drops of toothbrush, Its about a 6% dilution

Andrea Butje July 5, 2013 at 6:01 am

Hi Ann,
Thanks for sharing your ideas. I like that your diluting the oils in sesame or olive oil, that is a great idea to protect your mouth from the harsher oils that can be irritating like oregano, thyme ct thymol, ginger and even the eucalyptus and peppermint. I also like the salt and baking soda, all great! I is a good blend, although personally I would use less of it, and dilute it more. It is a personal choice of course. Thyme ct linalol would be a milder choice and since you have the oregano in the blend I would not feel the need for thyme ct thymol as well.

If I was making this blend I would change the drops to this:
60 mls sesame or olive oil
2 drops of eucalyptus
4 drops of thyme linalol
8 drops of myrrh
2 drops of oregano wild 80% caravcol
8 drops of tea tree or manuka
2 drops of peppermint taste mainly)
2 drops ginger

I hope that is helpful.

Wendy shaver March 28, 2016 at 7:17 am

Please explain the benefits of the toothpaste.

Andrea Butje March 28, 2016 at 10:09 am

Hi Wendy – this toothpaste will clean your teeth and give you fresh breath!

Lea Harris July 4, 2013 at 10:48 am