Making lip balm with kids is so much fun!
When you’re making lip balm with kids, you’ve got quite a few great flavor options. The chocolate/vanilla is definitely a favorite!
There are a few steps to complete before you get the kids in the kitchen to make the lip balms. You’ll need to infuse cocoa absolute and vanilla bean pods into jojoba wax for a week beforehand.
The infusions are so easy to make! They just take a few minutes, and since they last for years, you can make more than you immediately need and store them. They’re really great to have on hand for making other body products.
Let’s get started!
Step 1: Purchase 14 oz jojoba wax. While you’re at this website (Aromatics International), you can purchase one lip balm tray, 50 lip balm tubes and some pipettes (1 pack of 10 is fine).
Step 2: Purchase the vanilla bean pods. Amazon.com has organic ones: Vanilla Beans (Whole) Organic Pods.
Step 3: Purchase the cocoa absolute to make your infusion. You can start with the smallest size, if you like (5 ml, which is about 1/6 oz).
Step 4: Be sure you have two 8 oz glass jars with caps to make the infusions in.
Now you have everything you need to make the infusions. Here’s what to do with all that stuff:
- To make the vanilla infusion, simply add 3 or 4 pods to an 8 oz glass jar, fill the jar with 7 oz of jojoba, and let it sit for about a week. It can sit on any shelf–it doesn’t need to be cold or dark. After a week or so, remove the vanilla bean pods, and you’re left with the most luscious vanilla infused jojoba for your lip balms. If you prefer, you can purchase vanilla infused jojoba already made.
- To make the cocoa absolute, simply add about half the 5 ml bottle of cocoa absolute to your 8 oz jar (2–3 ml is fine, I never measure it exactly). Then fill the jar with jojoba, cover and let it sit for a week. As with the vanilla, the cocoa absolute can sit on any shelf. It will be perfectly fine if it’s not cold or dark. After a week, you can either leave the jojoba in the jar with the cocoa until you use it up (it will just get stronger and more aromatic with time), or you can transfer the jojoba into another bottle.
Note: The cocoa absolute will sit at the bottom of the jar and never blend into the jojoba. This is great, because after you finish using the jojoba (or if you transfer it to another jar), you can refill the jar with jojoba several more times and the cocoa absolute will continue to infuse the oil.
Now you’re ready to make the lip balms!
Lip Balm Recipe:
- 1 oz of beeswax
- 1.5 oz of vanilla infused jojoba
- 1.5 oz of cocoa infused jojoba
This makes about 24 lip balms if the tubes are the 5 ml size (1/6 oz).
- Measure the jojoba and beeswax by weight. I use a small kitchen scale (be sure to use the tare to remove the weight of the bowl you’re measuring in).
- Melt both of the jojobas and the beeswax in a Pyrex glass measuring cup (use the double boiler method you see in the picture below).
- Once everything is melted, take it off the stove.
It helps a lot to have a lip balm tray to hold the tubes in place while you deal with the hot liquid (see the next picture)! It also helps to have some plastic pipettes (like you used in chemistry class!), which can reduce the chance of spills and makes it safer for the kids to participate. Simply squeeze the hot liquid into the pipette and then squeeze it out into the lip balm tube. Fill them to the top. I place the lip balm tray on tinfoil in case of any wax spills.
If the hot wax begin to solidify, you can put the Pyrex back in the hot water to remelt it. Once all the tubes are full and have solidified (which happens fast–it only takes a few minutes!) you can remove the tubes. Gently pull them from the underside of the tray, and cap them. Leave them standing upright for a few hours to cool.
They last for many years. Jojoba and beeswax never go rancid!
Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)
- All-Natural Solid Deodorant Recipe - October 20, 2014
- Saro Essential Oil: A healing profile - October 6, 2014
- Aromatherapy Recipes to Enhance Your Yoga Practice - September 29, 2014