3 Healing Essential Oils: Vetiver, Lavender, Helichrysum!

by Andrea Butje on October 2, 2013

Here are three of my favorite healing essential oils!

Vetiver, Lavender (L. angustifolia) and Helichrysum (H. italicum) are three powerful healing essential oils, and each has a host of uses. Below are a few popular uses.

Vetiver

healing essential oils

healing essential oils

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

Get updates from Aromahead Institute!

Lloyd October 3, 2013 at 8:44 am

Do you know of a really effective mosquito repellent that does’t merely use Citronella?
I am trying the vitamin B1 method with mediocre results.
Citronella, although somewhat effective, has a distinct smell that doesn’t jive with a good cologne smell. Is there some formula that serves as a good cologne/perfume, but is also very effective at repelling Mosquitos.

Or is there some other method that doesn’t include DEET?

Thank you for all that you do, Andrea!

claire October 3, 2013 at 9:51 am

Hi, could you maybe add some candle mixes?
like what different essential oils go good together, I am not very good at the top/middle and base notes. I would like to make an orange and cinnamon candle but not sure if I can just use two or if I need to use three and I dont know how much to get a nice one, please help!
I love your blog.

Cheryl October 3, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Hi Lloyd, I have had great success with Citronella, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Tea Tree and Eucalyptus (the TTO and Eucalyptus are great for ticks too!) Lets see if Andrea (The Goddess of EO’s in my book) agrees.

Lorena October 3, 2013 at 1:30 pm

For repellent try this blend: Eucalyptus and lemongrass make a natural insect repellent very effective and delicious aroma. You can use in vegetal oil or using alcohol like splash is veru refreshing. Let me know how it works!

Lloyd October 3, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Thanks, Cheryl!

I guess I can add my “human attracting” good smelling oils as I wish.

Repelling Mosquitos is one thing but not repelling humans is my other objective, however that concoction doesn’t like it should smell too bad!

So many thanks!

Peggy October 3, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I had the best of luck using lemon eucalyptus (primary oil, about 30%) with some additional oils for their lovely properties: cinnamon and rose geranium, and tea tree, which are also repellents — cinnamon can be very skin irritating, so use only a tiny drop or two. I was camping in Northern Ontario in the height of mosquito and fly season; it “out-did” the DEET of fellow campers. I put it in lavender witch hazel, and used it as a spray.

Maggie Mahboubian October 4, 2013 at 12:37 am

Yarrow tincture works for me as well. Just have to keep a bottle handy to re-spray from time to time which I don’t mind because it smells so good!