Argan oil is extracted from the kernels of the argan tree, Argania spinosa, found only in the southwest of Morocco. If you’re using argan oil for skin care, you’ve chosen a great oil to protect and nourish your skin, hair and nails.
The women of Morocco’s native Berber people have produced and used argan oil for skin care for centuries. It has amazing therapeutic properties.
There are two grades of argan oil:
1. Culinary argan oil is toasted. Before the oil is extracted, argan kernels are roasted over a low fire. This gives the oil its extraordinary nutty aroma, and a dark color. I’ve read that the heat from the toasting affects the chemistry of the oil enough that the anti-aging and healing properties associated with raw cosmetic argan oil are lost. I haven’t seen any research on this, but it’s commonly expressed.
2. Raw argan oil (cosmetic grade) is pounded out of raw kernels and has a light golden color. I visited Morocco and was able to see this process firsthand–believe me, it is a lot of work! Raw argan has a very slight nutty aroma and a mild flavor.
If you’d like more information on making and using the argan oil face wash, check out this video I made!
Here’s what Aromatics International says about raw argan oil:
- Softens and moisturizes skin
- Helps maintain the skin’s natural elasticity
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory to sooth irritated or damaged skin
- Is rich in vitamin E, antioxidants and essential fatty acids
- Can be applied topically to help nourish dry hair and brittle nails
- Is effective in soothing acne, psoriasis, and other skin disorders
And now I have a great argan oil face wash recipe to recommend!
3/4 oz (22.5 ml) cosmetic raw argan oil (If you want the amazing toasted aroma, use a 0.5 oz/15 ml raw argan and 0.25 oz/7.5 ml culinary argan.)
1/4 oz (7 gm) aloe vera gel
1 drop Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
1 drop Frankincense essential oil (Boswellia carterii)
Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)
- Aliksir: A Canadian Essential Oils Distiller - July 18, 2016
- Make an “Aromatherapy First Aid Kit” for Kids! - July 11, 2016
- Free Live Webinar with Andrea Butje: 5 Essential Oil Blends to Calm Allergies! - July 4, 2016