Making Your Own Massage Oil

by Andrea Butje on December 18, 2013

Massage and Aromatherapy = True Love!

It’s so satisfying to make your own massage oil for the whole body or just the feet! Let’s get right to it. We’ll approach this project in three different ways:

I want to make my own massage oil and…
1. It needs to be simple, easy and fast.
2. I want to be creative.
3. I want a certificate of excellence after I make my oil!

2561264292_3e08bbd05c_n1. It needs to be simple, easy and fast:
Buy a 4 oz (120 ml) bottle of jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis)
Buy 1/2 oz (15 ml) of Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
Add 40 drops of Lavender to the bottle of jojoba
You are done!

create2. I want to be creative:
2 oz (60 ml) of vanilla-infused jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis)
2 oz (60 ml) argan oil (Argania spinosa)
40 drops essential oil

Recipes Options

No More Pain Blend
10 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
10 drops Mandarin (Citrus reticulata)
10 drops Peppermint (Mentha x piperita)
10 drops Black Spruce (Picea mariana)

Extraordinary Calm
15 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
5 drops Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata)
20 drops Frankincense (Boswellia carterii)

certificate3. I want a certificate of excellence after I make my oil!
1 oz (30 ml) of vanilla-infused jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis)
1 oz (30 ml) argan oil (Argania spinosa)
2 oz (60 ml) avocado oil (Persea gratissima)
40 drops essential oil

Create your own blend, drop by drop. Add one drop at a time and assess the aroma. Continue this process until you reach about 40 drops. Some essential oils have stronger aromas, so you need less in a blend (Ylang Ylang), and with others you can add quite a few drops (citrus oils). * Some oil suggestions below

* Comforting, rich, nourishing oils:
Balsam Copaiba (Copaifera officinalis)
Frankincense (Boswellia carterii)
Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha)
Patchouli (Pogostemom cablin)
Palo Santo (Bursera graveolens)

* Relieve Pain and Inflammation:
Black Pepper (Piper nigrum)
Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
Peppermint (Mentha x piperita)
Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)
Spike Lavender (Lavandula latifolia)

* Emotionally Uplifting & Bright
Bergamot Mint (Mentha citrata)
Gingergrass (Cymbopogon martini var. sofia)
Lime (distilled) (Citrus aurantifolia)
Mandarin (Citrus reticulata)
Yuzu (Citrus junos)

Vanilla, Coconut, Cocoa and Lime Lip Balm Recipe
3 Ways to Resin Heaven
Dry, Chapped Skin Butter

Andrea Butje

Owner/Instructor at Aromahead Institute

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

• Homemade Gym Equipment Cleaner Spray - August 31, 2015
  • Sleep Sweet! A Bedtime Aromatherapy Recipe for Kids - August 24, 2015
  • How To Make a Homemade Bathroom Scrub - August 17, 2015
Get free essential oil recipes and tips emailed to you!

Hillary Arrieta December 19, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Thank you for this post!
I really enjoyed reading it :)

Andrea Butje December 23, 2013 at 8:52 am

Thanks Hillary,
I appreciate your comment, so glad you enjoyed the post! I had fun writing it! :)

betsy bonsignore December 23, 2013 at 7:35 am

A tardy note to say that I love the cleaning compound (baking soda vinegar and oils). It inspired me to get to work right away and things are nicely polished and tidy as a result. Long live your inspiration!!!

Andrea Butje December 23, 2013 at 8:52 am

Thanks betsy! I am so glad you like that recipe, it is one of my favorites.

Maggie December 23, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Thank so much for all the wonderful advice. A year ago I had bought your wonderful book but then my tablet had to’ be repaired so addio book. This coming year, l will buy it again. A Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.

Andrea Butje December 23, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Maggie!! :)

LucyQ December 23, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Thank you Andrea! I don’t have jojoba but have an 8oz. bottle of sweet almond oil. What essential oils can go with it to add a sunny fragrance? Right now it smells plain *blah*. It’s dreary, wet & gray here in the Northeast and I’m feeling a little un-sunshiney!

Andrea Butje December 23, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Sweet Almond works great! How about the Emotionally Uplifting & Bright blend?
Bergamot Mint
Gingergrass
Lime (distilled)
Mandarin
Yuzu

Andrew August 29, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Could I have the link to that sounds interesting?

Andrew August 29, 2015 at 8:19 pm

I notice that you reply her that sweet almond can replace the jojoba in the blend, I will do my own researching but interested to know your thoughts on how the effects would change? For experimenting on how the smell would change would also tend to be an expensive exercise, so awesome sparks thoughts, questions and debate. Thanks Andrea

kingarthur December 28, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I am into the power of baking soda just add herbs and you’re at it. Cleaning, rusting and all!

brandi August 11, 2015 at 6:43 am

I want to become a massage therapist an I would love learn how to make my own massage oils, how can I become a member of your class.

Andrea Butje August 11, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Hi Brandi – you would love our Aromatherapy for Massage Therapists course! http://aromahead.com/courses/online/aromatherapy-for-massage-therapists

Feel free to email me if you have any questions – andrea@aromahead.com :)

faizah August 11, 2015 at 7:50 am

Hi Andrea thank you so much i would like to ask what is trauma oil? Doon i am ready to take a course i made batural products if possible i wouldlike to meet in person because my english very poor. I really need this bussiness to support my dreams. I want to.huild mini forest thank you so much best regards Faizah

Andrea Butje August 11, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Hi Faizah! Trauma oil is a blend infused with the fresh flowers of St. John’s Wort, Calendula and Arnica in Olive Oil or similar carrier. You can find it Aromatics International: https://www.aromatics.com/products/carrier-oils-butters/trauma-oil-organic

Unfortunately I no longer offer in-person courses, but our online courses are very in-depth and self-paced, so you can take your time with them. Feel free to email me if you have any questions: andrea@aromahead.com

Sandra August 11, 2015 at 11:30 am

Thank you so much for all the recipes Andrea. It’s really helping me learn a lot more being that I am a new to essential oils.

Andrea Butje August 11, 2015 at 5:15 pm

You’re welcome Sandra! We’re here to help :)

Leslie August 13, 2015 at 5:54 pm

First time blogging!……
First…….thank you so much Andrea……..am in the middle of the essential oil class for natural living!..
Wanted to share a recipe I made for my husband who after a surgery developed a reacurring fungus. He had been to doctors and received various medicines that did not work …And this did!!!!! I am very committed to learning more after this gift……
Recipe…..1 ounce Aloe Vera……7 drops tea tree……10 drops patchouli…..7 drops eucalyptus cit. He applied 3-4 times a day until it was gone and then for a week more for good measure. Similar to a recipe you gave us …I just didn’t have all the oils ….so read about all the oils I did have until some replacements seemed to be the right ones.
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and the tools to explore………annnnd the organizational suggestions .

Andrea Butje August 14, 2015 at 10:13 am

Hi Leslie! Thanks so much for the sweet comment – glad you are liking the class! Absolutely love to hear that you’re making your own blends and having success with them :)

Andrew August 29, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Hi Leslie,
I have been practising aromatherapy massage for 20 years and recently graduated in Chinese medicine as well so suddenly my thinking takes a 90 degree turn and as I have mentioned in another reply would be nice to understand the rational (left brain) and irrational (right brain) thinking along changes or inclusions of oils.. kind of the yin and yang of things, so I am curious about the choice of patchouli…was it a specifically identified fungus or just broad spectrum ( hope not being to medical or technical in my termini log, just that these days one is exposed to sooooo much information that it’s hard to remember what you should or shouldn’t be able to know. Thanks

Jackie August 17, 2015 at 4:32 pm

I love your website having trained as an aromatherapist and loving the oils this site is like a candy shop to a child. thank you soo much for sharing.

Andrea Butje August 17, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Thanks so much for the sweet compliment Jackie! Hope you love the blends you find :)