A Great Idea For Using Lavender Around Babies

by Andrea Butje on July 22, 2014

Lavender is soothing!One of the most frequent questions I get at Aromahead is how to safely use essential oils around babies.

I have an approach to share with you that works really well!

I find that using essential oils around the baby often brings about healing effects, without ever having to apply the oils to the baby’s sensitive skin.

One of my favorite techniques to teach moms and dads is to apply the oils in a blend to their own backs or shoulders (not to the baby’s back), and then when they hold their baby, the healing oils are inhaled. It’s just enough! And it’s a nice way for baby and parents to bond.

The aromas can increase a baby’s sense of security, and as the child gets older, they come to associate the scent with security and reassurance, which can be really powerful to help calm anxiety issues.

One drop of Lavender in some unscented cream or lotion is a great oil to begin with to calm the baby (and the parents!). If you try it, let us know how it goes by commenting below. Thanks!

Get free essential oil recipes and tips emailed to you!

Jenny July 22, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Great tip, I use California Baby body wash as a it has slight lavender scent which is both calming and therapeutic for the baby.

Fay July 23, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I used to use a natural bug spray I made for my grandchildren by spraying it on the stroller or on a car seat in an area where the child would not make physical contact with it. If we wanted the baby to be on a blanket I would lightly spray the blanket around the edges and make sure the baby’s skin would not make contact with the spray. This seemed to make a little area that deterred the bugs. You will likely have to respray as needed.

April July 23, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I recently made a “New Mommy Kit” and one of the things I included was a roller ball tube with a very simple and low dilution witch hazel/Lavender blend that I told her to rub on her own wrists and let dry at baby’s bedtime. Similar concept, I haven’t heard feedback from her yet as baby is less than 2 weeks old.

Laurie July 23, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Hi Andrea
It is a good tip – personally I found with my 2 year and 4 year grand kids greet me at their door and they come running with big extended hugs and I often concluded they were enjoying the essential oils .
It so makes sense and glad to hear it from
You Andrea!
Laurie

Eliane July 24, 2014 at 2:50 am

so funny, I have been teaching exactly that (to rub your own shoulders with lavender or neroli oil and then carry the baby as shown in the photo) for years. I had this idea when a nurse wasn’t allowed to use soothing oils for “her” premature babies. I asked her whether she was allowed to wear perfume. Of course. So why not wear “baby-safe-natural perfume”…

Eliane July 24, 2014 at 2:51 am

so funny, I have been teaching exactly that (to rub your own shoulders with lavender or neroli oil) and then carry the baby as shown in the photo) for years. I had this idea when a nurse wasn’t allowed to use soothing oils for the premature babies. I asked her whether she was allowed to wear perfume. Of course. So why not wear “baby-safe-natural perfume”…

Kimberly Gonzalo July 24, 2014 at 2:33 pm

I use Lavender oil for almost everything from washing the floors to putting the oil on a cotton and putting on the back of all my outdoor chairs outside. It keeps the flies and mosquitoes away and my grandson can roam freely on my deck without problems from bugs. It is such a soothing herb. I even put it in the bath to help sunburn.

Andrea Butje July 25, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Jenny,
I agree, lavender aroma is so soothing for babies!

Andrea Butje July 25, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Fay,
That is such an excellent idea!! :)

Andrea Butje July 25, 2014 at 5:35 pm

April,
I love that blend, so smart and I bet it is wonderful!

Andrea Butje July 25, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Laurie,
That is the best story! Lucky grandkids!!

Andrea Butje July 25, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Eliane,
Great minds right? :)

Andrea Butje July 25, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Kimberly,
That is so wonderful, I feel the same way about lavender! :)

Amyah August 11, 2014 at 1:54 am

I had 2 very premature babies and they were extremely nervous as their nervous systems were not completly “finished” . To calm them down, I was doing massage with almond oil with few drops of lavander and mandarine E.O…. it calmed them down and they slept very well and developped very well also. Even later on, when they felt excited, they were bringing me the oil and asked for a massage.

Now, they are adults and very healthy :)

Marquita December 2, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I like to use oils {lavender/sweet marjoram/roman chamomile/ylang ylang/hawaiian sandalwood/vanilla} high on my chest before I breastfeed my son after work. It’s a nice way for both of us to unwind after a long day at work and we both reap the benefits of the essential oils.

Roseanne Kelly March 16, 2015 at 4:14 am

Hi,what is the best way to use oils on elderly?

Andrea Butje March 23, 2015 at 9:52 am

Hi Roseanne – it is best to use a 1% dilution.

Michelle May 21, 2015 at 7:34 am

I’ve often heard that essential oils shouldn’t be used aroudn the nose of infants and young babies. How true is this?

Andrea Butje May 26, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Hi Michelle – we follow the guidelines set forth by Robert Tisserand, who is an expert in essential oil safety. For children under 5, he recommends not using essential oils around babies and infants unless it is through a diffuser, and to replace any peppermint and eucalyptus with cedarwood.