Cleaning With Hydrosols

by Andrea on June 4, 2010

Lately, I’ve started cleaning with hydrosols. My two favorites to clean with are Lavender hydrosol and Peppermint hydrosol.

I always have hydrosols around, as I use them for so many different things, and cleaning with them just felt like a natural progression.

I put them in a spray bottle and clean the counter tops, stove top, bathroom sinks, windows…any surface I would be comfortable using water on.

I even sprayed them on the couches in Sarasota to refresh and cleanse the living room!  I also clean my floors with them.

Hydrosols are safe for babies, children and animals, which makes them especially nice to clean with!

Aromatics International sells organic high-quality hydrosols.

If you make hydrosol blends for cleaning, I recommend making them fresh every few weeks.

Andrea

Owner/Instructor at Aromahead Institute

Latest posts by Andrea (see all)

Ketannah April 2, 2017 at 4:06 am

Hi Andrea,
I can’t thank you enough! I’ve never been more inspired to clean :). That’s worth a lot! :). Could you please help me with a good window cleaning recipe? I bought some lavender hydrosol for it. Do I just use it neat, spray and then wipe? I get the sense it’d need something else like vinegar and some EOs, like lavender and lemon? Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

Andrea Butje April 3, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Hi Ketannah!
I just use Lavender hydrosol – spray and wipe on glass, mirrors, windows. Adding a little vinegar could be helpful but it’s not essential.

Ketannah April 3, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Thanks! 🙂

Fred Deyette March 28, 2017 at 4:26 pm

I been using Cedar Leaf Hydrosol, and its amazing what it can do, on windows, floors, counter tops, dash of your car , and smells really good, and kills germs and odor’s . It is even affective for linen spray, bug spray for children, pets, and non toxic and chemical free and because we make our own. we know what were getting. And its far cheaper and safer. I always kid my wife telling here to spray windex or them leading brands and spray your face with, lol that’s when you know its safe. I even take 1 teaspoon a day with a glass of cold water to help with my back pain, that other wise could stand up before after sitting for awhile . I hope this helps for some of you DIY people.

Andrea Butje March 28, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Fred, hydrosols are indeed wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Expedita March 2, 2016 at 9:29 am

Can you dilute the hydrosols for cleaning?

Andrea Butje March 2, 2016 at 9:48 am

Hi Expedita – I like to use hydrosols without diluting them, but you can definitely add water to your blends for cleaning 🙂

Andrea Butje June 24, 2014 at 11:21 am

Kerry,
Hydrosols are used differently, here is a blog post I wrote about them: http://www.aromahead.com/blog/2011/11/30/5-great-ways-to-use-hydrosols/

Kerry June 18, 2014 at 2:35 am

Would you use hydrosols the same way you use EOs? I had made up a mix, and combined it with 2 cups of water. I found this in an aromatherapy book.

Alex Scolastici June 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Love hydrosols and love cleaning with them, the house Always smells soooo good afterwards. With a crawling baby and two dogs I never have to worry about yucky chemicals ending up on hands…or paws, lol

Andrea Butje June 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm

so sweet, I totally agree, especially the paws….

Kristbjörg Árnadóttir March 18, 2011 at 11:42 am

I love hydrosols. Use them the more I get to know them. Manuka and Sandalwood hydrosols in equal parts are very good deodorant.

EteriCo Croatia (EU) January 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm

We had very good results with lavender….

Dale January 2, 2011 at 10:27 am

I love, love hydrosols! Use them every chance I get. In my creams and lotions, sprays..in my cooking too!!

Natasha November 6, 2010 at 7:23 am

Andrea, I do the same! 🙂

Karen August 18, 2010 at 8:46 am

What are hydrosols?

Admin August 18, 2010 at 9:23 am

The essential oil distillation process involves filling the still with plant material and passing steam through the plant under pressure. The pressurized steam breaks open the cells of the plant and releases its oil content. The steam and the oil molecules pass through a cooling condenser, which turns the steam back to water. The water is collected in a Florentine flask and the oil generally floats on the surface of the water. This water is the hydrosol.