Distiller Spotlight: Florihana in the South of France

by Andrea Butje on February 10, 2011

Florihana distillery Florihana is a distillery in the south of France. This is their mission statement:

“At the foundation of our commitment to create the Florihana distillery were two main aims: respect for nature and development of highly therapeutic certified organic products for aromatherapists.”

I believe they have accomplished both!

Florihana uses organic farming techniques for plants under cultivation. Any wild plants are harvested from sustainable sources with respect to their ecosystems. They have an exclusive distillation process set up, and they use very low temperatures to distill their plants.

They include the complete botanical name and chemotype, distillation date and batch number on all their labels.

Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) reports are given for every batch on the Florihana website. The only other website I know that does this is Aromatics International, in Montana, USA.

Florihana sells organic essential oils, hydrosols, carrier oils, and soaps. They make organic cosmetics, honey, massage oils and more. You can purchase small sizes on their website–a wonderful feature for a distillery! The shipping is rather high, so it makes sense to purchase more items, or share an order with a few friends. Tell Alain that Andrea from Aromahead sent you! (No affiliate program, I am just a big fan!)

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

Maggie Lara December 6, 2016 at 10:36 pm

I also have ordered from tropical traditions and wondered if that was a safe distributed.

Andrea Butje December 7, 2016 at 10:42 am

Hi Maggie!
Sorry, Iโ€™ve not used oils from that company so I canโ€™t speak to that.

I appreciate any Aromatherapy company that is testing each batch of essential oil with GC/MS and providing those test results for the customer. I personally love being able to see the reports, knowing the company has taken care in their quality control. The components help me understand the medicinal uses and safety considerations.

M December 1, 2016 at 10:54 am

Thanks so much for your informative article. Are Florihana oils safe to use internally? Thanks

Andrea Butje December 2, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I would recommend contacting Florihana with your question. At Aromahead Institute, we teach the topical use of essential oils and inhalation. So sorry, we don’t teach internal use.

Kerry November 30, 2016 at 11:46 am

Hello Andrea!
Love your site! I have a question, not sure if you can answer here? I recently ordered a lot of Organic Oils from Florihana, their invoice states (at the bottom “not used for food ingredients” and “for cosmetic use” (note that it does not say ‘only’!). I’ve used DoTerra for internal purposes (depending on the oil, of course) and wonder what your opinion might be on using Florihana’s for internal use, especially like Peppermint & cooking-type oils? From ALL the info that is provided, It seems it would TOTALLY be OK, but I’d love an opinion from some who have more experience with oils than I do (I’m just a pup at this game)! Thanks if you can help!

Andrea Butje December 2, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Hi Kerry!
It’s wonderful to have you join us here! So glad you are loving our blog.

There are many perspectives and approaches to using essential oils. At Aromahead Institute we teach the topical use of essential oils and inhalation – we don’t teach the internal use of oils. It would be best to contact Florihana directly for more information.

Mary September 4, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Hi Andrea! Have you heard of Tropical Traditions? They distribute Florihana and I was wondering if you trust them as a distributor.
Thanks! Mary

Kiki Kaloudi December 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Thanks for sharing the info, I live in Europe and I was looking for a reputable supplier.

Andrea Butje December 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Your welcome! My pleasure.

Liz Fulcher December 26, 2012 at 9:34 am

After reading your post this morning, I spent about 20 minutes on the Florihana website. Wow! Each page has so much information about the product. I admire that kind of transparency and it instill a lot of trust. I would certainly feel comfortable ordering from them now. I especially appreciate Kc’s testimonial.

kelly June 22, 2012 at 11:52 am

The florihana link above does not work. But florihana.com did.

Andrea Butje June 22, 2012 at 11:56 am

Thanks Kelly!I fixed it on the post.

Kc Rossi | Heart Blossom June 13, 2011 at 6:56 am

I *LOVE* Florihana. I have been purchasing from them for almost a year and they have consistent quality, a great selection and adorable packaging. The last shipment included the most exquisite Peppermint Hydrolat and a Helichrysum italicum that was out of this world!

Liz Fulcher, The Fragrant Muse February 13, 2011 at 8:44 am

These distiller profiles are fabulous – more please! Talk about win-win…the distillers get recognized and the importers meet new suppliers. Thanks for your contribution to excellence in aromatherapy! Liz

Natasha February 10, 2011 at 5:29 am

Hi Andrea ๐Ÿ™‚
It’s indeed a great place to visit and to experience!
I do have some pictures from 2009. If you wish, I can send them, Andrea ๐Ÿ™‚
Natasha

Andrea Butje February 10, 2011 at 10:09 am

Sure Natasha, I would love to see your pictures!!!