Distiller Spotlight: Florihana in the South of France

by Andrea Butje on February 10, 2011

Florihana distillery Florihana is a distillery in the south of France. This is their mission statement:

“At the foundation of our commitment to create the Florihana distillery were two main aims: respect for nature and development of highly therapeutic certified organic products for aromatherapists.”

I believe they have accomplished both!

Florihana uses organic farming techniques for plants under cultivation. Any wild plants are harvested from sustainable sources with respect to their ecosystems. They have an exclusive distillation process set up, and they use very low temperatures to distill their plants.

They include the complete botanical name and chemotype, distillation date and batch number on all their labels.

Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) reports are given for every batch on the Florihana website. The only other website I know that does this is Aromatics International, in Montana, USA.

Florihana sells organic essential oils, hydrosols, carrier oils, and soaps. They make organic cosmetics, honey, massage oils and more. You can purchase small sizes on their website–a wonderful feature for a distillery! The shipping is rather high, so it makes sense to purchase more items, or share an order with a few friends. Tell Alain that Andrea from Aromahead sent you! (No affiliate program, I am just a big fan!)

Jessica Alcala March 25, 2017 at 10:01 pm

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned here before but you can order from their distributor here in the US. Free fedEx delivery for an order over than $100. Believe they just opened it very recently. Their site is Florihana-USA.

Andrea Butje March 27, 2017 at 9:58 am

Hi Jessica!
Thanks for sharing – it’s exciting news that Florihana now has a distributor here in the USA.

Kareem Mostafa February 11, 2017 at 10:10 am

Hi Andrea I visit flurihana website but I didn’t found cedarwood (Virginia) , beeswax I am also want ask about raspberry carrier oil from florihana is it has raspberry odor or no

Andrea Butje February 14, 2017 at 12:25 am

Hi Kareem,
It would be best to contact Florihana directly with questions about the products they offer.

I can recommend Aromatics International – they have all the items you are interested in: http://www.aromatics.com

Titki February 9, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Is there a reputable distributor in Canada that caries Florihana products

Andrea Butje February 9, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Hi Tiki!
I can suggest to contact Florihana directly.

Mary December 16, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Hi Andrea,

Tropical Traditions (tropicaltraditions.com) sells some of Floriana Essential Oils so you don’t have to pay for the international shipping from France.

Andrea Butje December 19, 2016 at 9:25 am

That’s excellent to know! Thanks for sharing Mary.

Maggie Lara December 6, 2016 at 10:36 pm

I also have ordered from tropical traditions and wondered if that was a safe distributed.

Andrea Butje December 7, 2016 at 10:42 am

Hi Maggie!
Sorry, Iโ€™ve not used oils from that company so I canโ€™t speak to that.

I appreciate any Aromatherapy company that is testing each batch of essential oil with GC/MS and providing those test results for the customer. I personally love being able to see the reports, knowing the company has taken care in their quality control. The components help me understand the medicinal uses and safety considerations.

M December 1, 2016 at 10:54 am

Thanks so much for your informative article. Are Florihana oils safe to use internally? Thanks

Andrea Butje December 2, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I would recommend contacting Florihana with your question. At Aromahead Institute, we teach the topical use of essential oils and inhalation. So sorry, we don’t teach internal use.

Cathy January 25, 2017 at 1:58 am

I did contact Florihana and ask this question a couple months ago. They said there oils are food grade but you should consult your physician or an aromatherapist for more information. They probably can’t come out and say yes you can ingest them because they are not FDA certified.

Andrea Butje January 25, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Hi Cathy!
Yes we agree with Florihana that it is a good idea to work with a Certified Aromatherapist to formulate correctly if using the oils internally. I can tell you that having visited the distillery several times, their oils are excellent quality.

Kerry November 30, 2016 at 11:46 am

Hello Andrea!
Love your site! I have a question, not sure if you can answer here? I recently ordered a lot of Organic Oils from Florihana, their invoice states (at the bottom “not used for food ingredients” and “for cosmetic use” (note that it does not say ‘only’!). I’ve used DoTerra for internal purposes (depending on the oil, of course) and wonder what your opinion might be on using Florihana’s for internal use, especially like Peppermint & cooking-type oils? From ALL the info that is provided, It seems it would TOTALLY be OK, but I’d love an opinion from some who have more experience with oils than I do (I’m just a pup at this game)! Thanks if you can help!

Andrea Butje December 2, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Hi Kerry!
It’s wonderful to have you join us here! So glad you are loving our blog.

There are many perspectives and approaches to using essential oils. At Aromahead Institute we teach the topical use of essential oils and inhalation – we don’t teach the internal use of oils. It would be best to contact Florihana directly for more information.

sherry January 18, 2017 at 2:25 am

I also bought a lot of essential oils from Florihana. Although I did not think they smelled very good. It’s very confusing because the company seems so professional and authentic, but it almost seems like there’s something added to their essential oils. What do you think of the oil’s from Florihana?

Andrea Butje January 19, 2017 at 10:07 am

Sherry,
I am glad you asked because I have spent a lot of time with Alain (the distiller at Florihana) and visited the distillery itself five times over the last 15 years. Each time I visit, I am more impressed then the time before! He is dedicated, meticulous and knowledgable! His essential oils are absolutely pure and tested with GC/MS. I have no financial relationship with the distillery, I simply recommend their oils with a full heart, knowing his beautiful work and how it supports the Aromatherapy industry.

I hope sharing this information helps!

Mary September 4, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Hi Andrea! Have you heard of Tropical Traditions? They distribute Florihana and I was wondering if you trust them as a distributor.
Thanks! Mary

Kiki Kaloudi December 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Thanks for sharing the info, I live in Europe and I was looking for a reputable supplier.

Andrea Butje December 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Your welcome! My pleasure.

Liz Fulcher December 26, 2012 at 9:34 am

After reading your post this morning, I spent about 20 minutes on the Florihana website. Wow! Each page has so much information about the product. I admire that kind of transparency and it instill a lot of trust. I would certainly feel comfortable ordering from them now. I especially appreciate Kc’s testimonial.

kelly June 22, 2012 at 11:52 am

The florihana link above does not work. But florihana.com did.

Andrea Butje June 22, 2012 at 11:56 am

Thanks Kelly!I fixed it on the post.

Kc Rossi | Heart Blossom June 13, 2011 at 6:56 am

I *LOVE* Florihana. I have been purchasing from them for almost a year and they have consistent quality, a great selection and adorable packaging. The last shipment included the most exquisite Peppermint Hydrolat and a Helichrysum italicum that was out of this world!

Liz Fulcher, The Fragrant Muse February 13, 2011 at 8:44 am

These distiller profiles are fabulous – more please! Talk about win-win…the distillers get recognized and the importers meet new suppliers. Thanks for your contribution to excellence in aromatherapy! Liz

Natasha February 10, 2011 at 5:29 am

Hi Andrea ๐Ÿ™‚
It’s indeed a great place to visit and to experience!
I do have some pictures from 2009. If you wish, I can send them, Andrea ๐Ÿ™‚
Natasha

Andrea Butje February 10, 2011 at 10:09 am

Sure Natasha, I would love to see your pictures!!!