Make A Cleaning Spray for Your Shower

by Andrea Butje on May 24, 2012

I like to make my own natural cleaning products. Natural cleaning products are simple to make, effective, and I feel good using them!

This Anti-fungal Cleaning Spray recipe is one I use regularly. The recipe comes from my eBook, Essential Living: Aromatherapy Recipes for Health and Home.

I suggest using this anti-fungal cleaning spray on your shower curtain and damp areas of the bath or shower liberally to prevent mold and mildew (that map picture above is my shower curtain!). We also use this spray to prevent mold on patio furniture and screened porches.

Note: This spray is not for use on the skin.

Makes: One 16 oz (480 ml) spray bottle

Ingredients:
15 oz (450 ml) water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
40 drops Tea Tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
30 drops Geranium essential oil (Pelargonium graveolens)
40 drops Palmarosa essential oil (Cymbopogon martini var. motia)

Tools:
16 oz (480 ml) PET plastic spray bottle. (I usually prefer glass when blending with essential oils, but PET plastic is known as a non-reactive plastic that doesn’t leach.)

Directions:
1. Fill spray bottle with 15 oz (450 ml) water.
2. Add the white vinegar and essential oils.
3. Shake vigorously before using.

I recommend making a fresh bottle of this blend every few weeks.

Stacy May 4, 2017 at 9:11 am

Is this safe to use in stress where my pets are?

Andrea Butje May 4, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Hi Stacy!
Animals can be sensitive and it is good to be aware of that. Generally, if the room is well ventilated and the pet can freely leave the space if it feels uncomfortable it’s fine to use to clean the shower.

Bonnie May 2, 2017 at 11:11 am

is this safe for cultured marble?

Andrea Butje May 3, 2017 at 9:27 am

Hi Bonnie!
I would be careful with any material and at first, test a small area (in a corner or underneath) to be sure the vinegar and the essential oils do not disturb it. I have silestone and it works well.
Some counter materials don’t like vinegar, some don’t like essential oils and since I don’t have experience with cultured marble I couldn’t say for certain in your situation. I would also recommend checking with the manufacturer – they may have information to guide you.

bernie kolar May 3, 2017 at 10:28 pm

i also have marble surrounding my tub and shower. Marble is a natural porous stone and therefore one should not use vinegar, which is acidic. I often spray my walls with hydrogen peroxide. You can leave it to air dry, wipe down with a micro fiber cloth or us a Mr. Clean sponge.

Bonnie Preston May 4, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Do you have “real” or “cultured” marble?? Sounds like a good alternative either way.

Thanks for your reply.

Suzette January 18, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Hi Andrea, Is this meant to be the type of spray that you spritz and leave on after a shower, or to clean with and then wipe or rinse off? Thanks!!

Andrea Butje January 18, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Suzette,
I spray and wipe!

Debbie July 25, 2016 at 7:02 am

Hi Andrea,

Can this be used as a diffuser blend to kill mold spores in the air? I work in a place that smells musty and I was wondering what I could diffuse to make the air quality better.

Andrea Butje July 25, 2016 at 10:17 pm

It’s certainly worth a try Debbie!

Wendy July 21, 2016 at 10:14 pm

There a healthy shampoo that you can make with eo’s

Andrea Butje July 22, 2016 at 10:28 am

Hi Wendy,
You can add a couple of drops of oils to your favorite shampoo. We recommend Rosemary or Cedarwood.

Natalie May 12, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Hi Andrea,

I don’t have Palmarosa yet. Can I just add more geranium for that amount, or maybe lemonor spike lavender? Thanks for your help!

Natalie

Andrea Butje May 13, 2016 at 9:34 am

Hi Natalie! I would try Thyme ct linalol (Thymus vulgaris ct linalol) or Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) as a substitute for Palmarosa – either would be lovely in this recipe 🙂

Natalie May 13, 2016 at 10:16 am

Thank you!! It’s hard to believe you always answer my questions, you must be so busy! Thanks for all your help, here on the blog, via webinars, & your intro course, (haven’t finished it yet but I am enjoying soaking it all in). I love your passion. I wish u a wonderful & blessed day!

Natalie

Andrea Butje May 13, 2016 at 1:57 pm

You’re so welcome Natalie! Busy for sure, but it doesn’t feel like it since I love aromatherapy and educating so much 🙂 Have a wonderful day also!

Shafali Garg September 30, 2015 at 3:17 am

Hi Andrea
If i have to increase shelf life of it, how can i do it as i have to sent this to my sister who lives away ? Thus want to give something who at least will go for 6 months. Thanks.

Andrea Butje September 30, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Hi Shafali – the best idea I have would be to send her the oils and this recipe and have her make it herself. That way she will have a fresh blend that won’t expire 🙂

Sandy July 3, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Thanks! I may have to purchase Palmarosa! Do you have any suggestions for getting rid of mold on wood and leather surfaces?

Andrea Butje July 6, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Hi Sandy – you’re welcome! Palmarosa is a beautiful oil that is skin healing, too. I’ve not used the oils on wood or leather, so I can’t give you any suggestions. Sorry about that!

Christine Asselin July 14, 2016 at 12:12 pm

i know im not Andrea but I use coconut oil for that its amazing…i have a cleaning business and its the only way i treat leather and wood… hope it helps

Andrea Butje July 15, 2016 at 8:06 am

Christine, I love using natural products for cleaning too!

Gina July 1, 2015 at 5:20 am

I love tea tree oil but am concerned about using it in my home because of my 3 cats. Is this a valid concern? If so is there a safer alternative?

Andrea Butje July 3, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Hi Gina – I have cats, too, and use the blend in my bathroom. When I’m using the blend, I keep them away from the bathroom for a few hours. If you are concerned, you can omit the Tea Tee in the blend.

Cheryl June 30, 2015 at 2:36 pm

thanks for this recipe. My husband used to use chlorine bleach to take off mold and i hated it. Used to give me headaches besides being very carcinogenic. Does anyone have a recipe for body wash and dish-washer detergent and laundry washing machine detergent?

Andrea Butje July 3, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Hi Cheryl – You can make a great body wash using castile soap. Here are some of my suggestion on essential oil blends: https://www.aromahead.com/blog/2011/10/12/foam-soap-recipes/

You may want to add a dash of Jojoba to make it more moisturizing for the body. I don’t have a recipe for dish washers, but here’s a good recipe for laundry soap: http://www.pompeiiorganics.com/soapflakes

Linda P June 30, 2015 at 9:25 am

I work with the kids at our church camp. The building we use has a moldy ceiling. Is it safe for the kids if I spray this on the ceiling?

Andrea Butje July 3, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Hi Linda – This spray is for light mold and daily maintenance, if you have a heavy mold problem, you may want to get it cleaned professionally. However, you can use the spray while the children are not around the room, like after hours and evenings.

Constanza May 5, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Gracias por tus sabios consejos..tambien los hago llegar a mi familia y amigos..un abrazo desde Alicante-España

Asia Gilchriest Fogle June 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I’ve actually used this mixture on my floor as well and it leaves the house smelling wonderful!

Laura June 19, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Can’t wait to try this in our shower to keep things sparkling! Thanks so much for all you share. 🙂

Ann Wooledge May 24, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Great recipe Andrea. Thanks to your awesome database, I added palmarosa to my antifungal blends we’ve been using for my husband – and it works. Purchased your ebook, but haven’t had a chance to look at it yet. Again, thanks so much for your database!

Andrea Butje May 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Thanks so much Ann!

Karen Ball May 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Thanks for the formula, Andrea. Although I do have your e-book, the reminder to make this spray is appreciated.

Andrea Butje May 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Thanks Karen! 🙂

Wendy shaver March 28, 2016 at 7:07 am

I am a eye contact user. My concern is that I use the oils on my face. You mention that it is not safe in the eyes. Even when I wash my hands I can sell the oils, therefore , j am concerned transferring the oils to my eyes putting in my contacts. What is the solution

Andrea Butje March 28, 2016 at 9:51 am

Hi Wendy – if you wash your hands thoroughly with soap before handling your contacts, it would be fine 🙂