Blending with Carrier Oils and Butters

by Andrea Butje on August 4, 2012

Creating body care products and essential oil blends with carrier oils and butters has always brought me (and my skin) great pleasure!

When creating an essential oil blend in a carrier, get creative. You have such a wide variety of carrier oils and butters to choose from. When deciding, think about consistency, the therapeutic properties of the carrier, and the intention of your blend.

I wrote a blog post awhile ago about a few of my favorite carrier oils. You might find it helpful to revisit that before creating your blend.

This is a blend I like for skin nourishing, made entirely out of rich, healthy carrier oils and butters:

1 oz (28 gm) Avocado oil (Persea gratissima)
1 oz (28 gm) Baobab oil (Adansonia digitata)
2 oz (56 gm) Cocoa butter (Theobroma cacao)
1 oz (28 gm) Marula oil (Sclerocarya birrea)
1 oz (28 gm) Beeswax (Cera alba)

Makes about 6 oz (168 gm). You will need at least six 1 oz (30 ml) jars (sometimes you get a little extra so I always like to have one extra jar in case).

Melt all the ingredients together in a double boiler. (I like using a Pyrex measuring cup, which I place in a stove top pan that has a little water in it.) Once the oils and butters are all melted together, pour the liquid into glass jars. Cover and allow to cool. If you want to add essential oil, you can mix it in right before you pour the hot liquid. I like adding about 60 drops of essential oil to this blend (10 drops per 1 oz. or per 28 gm). Try Lavender, Frankincense, Geranium, Neroli and Patchouli.

Lady Bonser May 7, 2017 at 11:18 am

Hello Ms Butje,
I love this article regarding carrier oils. I’m new to EO & am searching everywhere to learn more. I seem to be having trouble w/the carrier oils.
I’m looking forward to reading more of your lessons!
Be Blessed
LB

Andrea Butje May 8, 2017 at 9:38 am

Lady Bonser we have a class that I think would be a perfect way for you to learn more. Aromahead’s Body Butters and Lip Balms class is a popular and fun where you learn to work with carrier oils and body butters to create a variety of therapeutic body care products.
Here’s a link for additional information: https://www.aromahead.com/courses/online/body-butters-and-lip-balms

I hope you enjoy this class!!

Merilyn Strange March 14, 2017 at 3:51 am

Hi Andrea,
Thank you for the information on carrier oils.
I am doing lots of expirementing with oils and EO. I am so surprised that I don’t care for th smell of the coconut oil! I’ve always loved anything coconut. Fortunately there are many others to choose from.
Thank you for sharing all your knowledge.

Andrea Butje March 14, 2017 at 10:19 am

Hi Merilyn!
Coconut oil will always present its fragrance. I agree, there are many wonderful carrier options to choose from.

Kim March 13, 2017 at 11:38 am

Hi Andrea:)
Is there a heat temperature we should be aware of, when adding our eo’s to carriers and butters?

Andrea Butje March 14, 2017 at 8:42 am

Hi Kim!
Great question! Essential oils can be heated for brief periods of time while you mix your blend with no damage to their therapeutic properties. The butters actually cool down really fast. Add your essential oils right after taking the melted butter off the stove (just before pouring it into your jars) and your blend will be fine. Be sure to cover the jars right away so the essential oils don’t evaporate.

Bonnie October 27, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Hi, Andrea,how can I use these ingredients to make a whipped body butter?

Andrea Butje October 28, 2015 at 8:31 am

Hi Bonnie – this blog post will be helpful to you 🙂 http://www.aromahead.com/blog/2015/04/20/melt-shea-butter-natural-oils-body-care/