Trips to Visit Essential Oil Distillers

by Andrea Butje on January 20, 2014

plant is in handsI just love visiting essential oil distillers.

They’re all such warm people who care deeply about the plants they grow and the oils they distill. Over the past few years, I’ve blogged about several of my trips to visit essential oil distillers around the world. This is a list of those blog posts featuring distilleries in France, Bulgaria, Croatia, and Greece. Enjoy!

If you want to import your own essential oils from distillers, Aromahead has developed an Essential Oil Distillers Directory.

This searchable directory offers you a simple way to locate over 50 essential oil distillers around the world, along with hundreds of high quality essential oils. This is a great way to support independent distillers, who put their hearts into all the hard work they do, and to ensure you’re getting high-quality oils as directly from the source as possible. You can even develop relationships of your own with the distillers, which has the potential to deepen the way you connect with your oils.

If you’re reading this via email rather than on the Aromahead blog, the formatting doesn’t work well for this kind of list. Come visit the Aromahead blog to see the list, read the posts, and see the pictures.

View List on List.ly

Vaseal July 11, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Hello Andrea!I am novice in growing lavender and i have big problems with weeds.I am looking for information about weed control and what kind of herbicides i can use.Do you know something about that or if you can guide me who can help me or who i can ask for help.I will strongly appreciate your help .Thank you

Andrea Butje July 12, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Hi Vaseal!
How great that you are growing lavender!! I am sorry I don’t but you could check with a botanist for suggestions perhaps at garden/nursery center.

Rebecca July 3, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Hiya – where can I find your other blog posts about your visits, as I would really love to read them

Andrea Butje July 4, 2017 at 10:51 am

Hi Rebecca!
We have a great search feature built into the Aromahead Blog. On the top right (below subscribe) look for ‘Search Aromahead Blog’ – when you search on the word distiller you’ll get a list of blog posts to enjoy!

Freeman Chung December 12, 2016 at 9:22 am

Hi Andrea,
How about the difference between England and French style of essential oils? How to defind them? Why there are many useage different between the two styles? Are there any different on the method of distillation between the two styles?
Thanks so much!

Andrea Butje December 13, 2016 at 8:05 pm

There are many different Lavenders and when growing in different environments it can produce different properties and chemical components essential oils.

GC/MS reports help to show the difference in chemistry between the Lavenders.

Here’s a blog post I wrote for more information about GC/MS testing:

Hope this helps!

Gemma Davidson December 3, 2016 at 9:28 am

Hi Andrea,
I am studying aromatherapy & would be interested in visiting an essential oil factory to see any kind of distillation.
Do you know of anywhere in the UK?
Thanks,
Gemma.

Andrea Butje December 5, 2016 at 1:51 pm

HiGemma!
For the UK I can suggest Norfolk Essential Oils https://www.neoils.com/about/

It’s fascinating to visit a distiller! Enjoy!

Liza March 27, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Dear Andrea

Hello I do receive your blog posts. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. I would really like to work on an essential oil farm to gain some practical experience, but I am battling to find a farm which employ staff to work for them. I return to the UK in June 2016 and would like to find work there otherwise in Spain/France. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of any farms you know are looking for staff. I have a diploma in horticulture, but I would like to specialize in growing herbs organically for distillation purposes.

Many Thanks

Yours Sincerely Liza luffingham

Andrea Butje March 28, 2016 at 9:26 am

Hi Liza – you are very welcome for the information, I’m glad you’re enjoying it! I would suggest trying Florihana (in France). They used to have a program set up for that, but I’m not sure if they still do.

Florihana
Les Grands Prés,
06460 Caussols,
France.
Tel : +33 (0) 493 09 06 09

Liza March 28, 2016 at 10:20 am

Dear Andrea

Thank you for providing me with the address and contact number. I will look it up now on the web.

Kind regards,