Relax with Essential Oils!

by Andrea Butje on April 21, 2014

Relaxing with essential oils and friendsThere are some great essential oils that encourage a calm state of mind, reduce stress and support sleep.

Here are a few ideas to help you relax with essential oils. We’ll start with a few great carriers that can be very soothing all on their own:

• A massage oil with jojoba
  • A cream for before sleep
  • A bath salt with jojoba for before bed
  • A linen spray for your pillow and sheets
  • A diffuser blend for the bedroom

And now for the essential oils! Pick your favorite blend below and add it to one of the carriers above to create your own personal relaxation product.

Emotionally uplifting and relaxing blend: Orange and Ylang Ylang
Deep earth aromas: Vetiver and Patchouli
Floral heaven: Ylang Ylang, Palmarosa and Lavender
The herb garden: Marjoram and Lavender

How many drops? Try about 10 drops total of essential oil per 1 oz (30 ml) of carrier, or 5 drops in 2 oz (56 gm) of bath salts with 1 teaspoon of jojoba. Create these blends using the drop-by-drop blending method. For example, if you choose to make a massage oil with the emotionally uplifting and relaxing blend, start by adding 1 drop of Orange and 1 drop of Ylang Ylang and mix them into the jojoba.

You may notice that the Ylang Ylang is much stronger than the Orange, and you can add 3 or 4 more drops of Orange before the Ylang Ylang starts to blend its aroma and the massage oil becomes more aromatically balanced. Your final blend may have 8 drops of Orange and 2 drops of Ylang Ylang.

If you make one of these blends, please share the results with us in the comments below this blog post. (If you’re reading this in an email, you can click through to the Aromahead blog and add your comments there.)

Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)

irene fizzell September 22, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Where can you purchase balsam copalba and opoponax?

Andrea Butje September 23, 2016 at 12:16 pm
Anna September 20, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Hi Andrea:
How does one make the cream? I absolutely love your energy and your teachings. Cannot wait to one day take your course to become a Certified Aromatherapist. This is my calling. It’s what I was born to do. You have changed my life with essential oils.

Thanks so much

Andrea Butje September 21, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Hi Anna! That’s wonderful that you’ve found your calling!! Making your own body products is great fun. I think you’ll enjoy making a body butter like this: http://www.aromahead.com/blog/2015/04/20/melt-shea-butter-natural-oils-body-care/

If you prefer, you can purchase an unscented cream as well: https://www.aromatics.com/products/carrier-oils-butters/lotion-unscented

Brenda knott July 15, 2016 at 11:53 am

I LOVE ylang ylang and orange together!!!! I use it in my car diffuser. My teenage daughter has anxiety and depression (and she’s extremely sensitive to smells)…. These two oils seem to be perfect for uplifting her spirits while calming her anxiety, AND she loves the aroma! SCORE!!!!!!

Andrea Butje July 15, 2016 at 3:57 pm

That is a major score Brenda! Aroma is very personal – Ylang Ylang and Orange are great together! How wonderful is that that you’ve found this combination works so well for your daughter!

Lisa VanMeter May 25, 2016 at 9:42 am

I love, love, love your blogs and videos. Essential oils are my life !!! I’ve been studying them for yrs now on my own. My dream is to one day take your online certification and become a real aromatherapist !!! I’m a single mom and can’t afford it, but it’s my dream and I’ll never give up. I love all of your recipes and tips. Essential oils have changed my life and I can’t imagine life without them now 🙂 Thank you !!!

Andrea Butje May 25, 2016 at 11:21 am

Lisa, I feel your love for oils and your excitement & enthusiasm for learning! It fills me with delight to hear your dream is to become a Certified Aromatherapist – I love watching this profession grow! Whenever you are ready I’d be honored to share in the joy of your success in fulfilling your dream!!

Brenda knott July 15, 2016 at 11:38 am

Lisa VanMeter, holy cow I could have written those exact words!!!!! I would love to become certified, for now I’m thrilled to be enrolled in a class or two and LIVE the free webinars!

Brenda knott July 15, 2016 at 11:39 am

Dog-gone it! I LOVE the webinars!

Andrea Butje July 15, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Yay!! I enjoy connecting with everyone during a webinar – it’s great fun!!

Mara Lee June 9, 2015 at 7:47 am

Hi Andrea,
I was surfing for a natural remedy to ease a chronic skin irritation for one of my dogs and I stumbled across your website. It’s been a 3 month essential oils wild ride ever since.
I’ve been a part of a couple of your free webinars and have even created a few recipes that you have shared … life hasn’t been the same since. Now if I could just wrap my arms around it. 😉
While I haven’t made the leap to pursuing this new passion beyond my own circle, I did want to let you know that the knowledge and care that you bring forward regarding the beauty, power and safety of these oils is rare and is so appreciated. Thank you for sharing your gifts!
I’m sure we’ll cross paths again.
All the best, Mara Lee

Andrea Butje June 17, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Mara Lee – that is so sweet of you! I truly love reading testimonials about people who start using essential oils and realize how life-changing they are. So glad to have you as part of the Aromahead community! 🙂

Nadine April 28, 2015 at 11:29 am

Andrea,
I added neroli to a scrub I made and it overpowered the other oils that I tried to blend it with in the scrub.
Can you speak to this and perhaps help me with my use of neroli.

Andrea Butje April 30, 2015 at 9:41 am

Hi Nadine – Neroli is very strong and people have different preferences for the amount used. I usually use a few drops per oz of scrub. Hope this helps!

Stella March 12, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Thank you Andrea that was helpful.

Patti McBride April 29, 2015 at 9:33 am

Dear Andrea,
Can I use some of these special blends on the Wellington in scented incense sticks instead of using a lotion or carrier oil? I make vegan soaps & other goodies, but I now want to do the incense as posted in your video.
Will some of these scents work for this? I know the carrier oils & lotions are the best, but I’m also looking at this as another avenue to work.
Thanks for your advice!
Soap’n’Stuff
By
Patti Ann. 🙂

Andrea Butje April 30, 2015 at 9:42 am

Hi Patti – Yes you can try using these blends on your incense sticks. The patchouli and vetiver will be especially nice. Hope you enjoy!

Patti McBride April 30, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Thank you Andrea for your quick response. I
Really appreciate it. I have been doing a lot of
Research on how to naturally & safely make good
Quality incense sticks. I’m doing these sticks
Mainly for myself & my close friends…and maybe
Sell some to help pay for my supplies. I, however,
Have a supply of 1,000 unscented sticks from
Wellington-Fragrance.com. And since you
Recommended this product, I’m hoping that
These are a non-toxic product, having no
Formaldehyde or other by-products.
Anyway I have referred to this website & your
Website as I read about the different types of
Incense that are available.
I also read about the chemical DPG & it’s use
With fragrance oils & how it effects the quality
Of the incense, due to the toxic effects of a
synthetic fragrance oils.
I use phthalate free FO’s that use an essential
Oil blend. If I can’t use it safely on my
Body or use them safely in a soy candle or
Reed diffuser, I don’t use them. And if the
IFRA changes its strict guidelines, I notify
My friends/customers & explain to them
that they are no longer safe for body use.
Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I didn’t
Mean to write a book, &!thanks again.
Patti Mc. 🙂

Stella March 3, 2015 at 2:31 pm

When talking about mixing a carrier to the oils for a massage are you referring to coconut oil or another kind of carrier?

Andrea Butje March 12, 2015 at 8:11 am

Stella,
Coconut oil is a great carrier and there are many others- any vegetable or nut oil can be a carrier oil (also called fixed oils). For example sunflower oil, avocado oil and argan oil are all carrier oils.

Lisa Smith January 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm

I turned to essential oils last year when my dog, who was my best friend and companion, was diagnosed with bone cancer. I have always enjoyed aromas and needed a “get away” from what I knew was going to come. I lost him only a month later and felt totally lost myself. It was then I started to learn of all of healing properties oils had as I dived into them for a distraction of my pain. I used them to help me sleep and to try to uplift me during the day so I could continue. It has been six months since his loss and I still use my oils everyday. I believe using the oils, their healing properties help bring me through that very difficult time.