I was recently driving through the Limpopo region of South Africa (that is a fun sentence to say!) and I came across a gigantic grove of Eucalyptus trees. We were on a small, windy mountain road and the trees were just next to us as we drove along. They were breathtaking. The smooth trunks, the green of the leaves, and of course the aroma was amazing!
I was immediately inspired to use the little bottle of Eucalyptus oil that was in my travel bag. I always travel with my favorite oils, and Eucalyptus is one of them. I’m partial to the aroma of Eucalyptus radiata, but I also adore Eucalyptus globulus (don’t want E. globulus feeling left out now do we?).
I had some blank inhalers with me, so I added about 10 drops of the Eucalyptus into one of the inhalers and breathed it in. My head was instantly clear, and I felt my breath deepen and my whole body relaxed.
I did promise three great ways to use Eucalyptus in the name of this post so here you go. Note: these are recipes for adults. For kids between 5-10 years old, I recommend using Cedarwood (Juniperus virginiana) instead of Eucalyptus.
1. A few drops on the shower floor in the morning, in front of where you stand, to clear sinuses, reduce allergies, awaken the mind (yes it works) and even reduce a headache.
2. One drop of Eucalyptus in a handful of unscented cream rubbed into your back and legs after a hard workout, or if you’re just feeling sore. Muscles love Eucalyptus! They calm right down.
3. Add 10 drops to a blank inhaler (as I mentioned above) to get rid of a stuffed up head, open your sinuses, reduce an infection (that might take a few days of active use), and get rid of tension related headaches. If you do have a tension headache, try rubbing that cream I mentioned above on the back of your neck.
In closing, here is a picture of a Eucalyptus flower. She loves to be admired! What a beauty!
Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)
- Make Sandalwood Rose Essential Oil Perfume - April 24, 2017
- FREE Webinar! All About the New Aromatherapy Teacher Training Program at Aromahead! - April 17, 2017
- How to Nourish Your Heart with Floral Essential Oils - April 10, 2017