Essential Oil Diffuser Blends for Energy!

by Andrea Butje on March 30, 2015

essential oil diffuser blends for energyEssential oil diffuser blends for energy are great natural pick-me-ups.

Does it surprise you to know that one of the first things I look forward to when I wake up is diffusing essential oils? Sound familiar?

I love the way they fill the house with beautiful scent. I also love the way they help my mind feel clear and focused, and my heart feel open. That’s just a great way to start the day!

Over the years, I have created a lot of essential oil diffuser blends for energy. Some have become favorites, and I make those blends ahead of time in bottles that I call “stock” bottles. That way, instead of having to reach for several different essential oils (sometimes my bottles migrate around my house as I use them for different purposes), I can just reach for my stock bottle. It lives right near my diffuser.

Here’s one of my favorite essential oil diffuser blends for energy in the morning, or anytime I need a boost.

You can make it right in a 5 ml stock bottle (which you can get at Aromatics International or any bottle supplier like SKS bottles). Just add:

• 20 drops Rosemary essential oil (Rosmarinus officinalis)
  • 20 drops Grapefruit essential oil (Citrus paradisi)
  • 20 drops distilled Lime essential oil (Citrus aurantifolia)

Grapefruit and distilled Lime bring a bright, sparkling presence to this blend, and work as airborne antimicrobials. Rosemary is probably one of the most well-known essential oils for mental clarity and focus. It is very stimulating for the brain (and is also an airborne antimicrobial).

Nicole March 1, 2017 at 6:37 pm

When using this as a roll on, is it necessary to use a carrier oil?

Andrea Butje March 2, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Hi Nicole! Great question! Yes, we recommend diluting essential oils in carrier oils before applying them as essential oil can cause irritation to the skin.

The age of the person and the intention of the blend plays a role in determining dilution ratios. In general for adults, for supporting general health we suggest a 2% dilution – 1 oz (30 ml) of carrier is 10 to 12 drops.

Nicole February 17, 2017 at 12:34 pm

could you use wintergreen instead of rosemary? also if making the roll on bottle, where would you roll it?

Andrea Butje February 17, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Hi Nicole,
I would suggest Peppermint as it would be a better aromatic addition – it blends very well with Grapefruit and distilled Lime creating a wonderful energizing aroma!

For a roll on application I like to apply it on my shoulders, neck, and chest!

Nicole February 17, 2017 at 11:41 pm

Thanks will give it a try when my oils come in

Andrea Butje February 20, 2017 at 11:09 pm

Fantastic! Let me know when you do try it!

Nicole February 27, 2017 at 10:32 am

I love the energy blend it smells great and gives me that boost of afternoon energy that i needed. Love the smell of the peppermint. Thanks for the sugestion

Kim December 15, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Can this be made into a roller ball blend? How many drops for each?

Andrea Butje December 16, 2016 at 3:26 am

Hi Kim!
Yep you could make a roll-on if you prefer. In 1 oz (30 ml) of carrier add a total of 10-12 drops from the stock bottle blend or 3-4 drops of each oil.

Carrie October 23, 2016 at 11:02 am

Can you safely diffuse rosemary while pregnant or around a 2 year old? If not, What is a good replacement for energy? Do you have an inhaler recipe? What about peppermint? I thought that was great for energy.

Andrea Butje October 24, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Carrie, it’s best to use oils only as needed when pregnant and some women choose to wait until after their first trimester to use them. We do recommend checking with your pregnancy health care professional when using any essential oils while pregnant and to connect with a Certified Aromatherapist who would be in a better situation to support you throughout the pregnancy.

NAHA (National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy) has a short article and a list of oils for you: http://naha.org/explore-aromatherapy/safety/#pregnancy

Alana June 22, 2016 at 12:39 pm

I love this! I add one drop of spearmint to my diffuser and it’s beautiful! I like to diffuse it while I’m working out. Gives me that extra bit of energy, especially when I don’t feel like doing it.

Andrea Butje June 23, 2016 at 10:12 am

Alana, diffusing is a great way to start the day! I love how the beautiful scent fills the air and clears my mind!

Jackie March 10, 2016 at 12:01 pm

What can I substitute for grapefruit and rosemary? I’m in need of a pick me up and don’t have those oils yet. Love, love, love your site.

Andrea Butje March 10, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Hi Jackie – Great to hear that you enjoy the site. You can try any other citrus oil you have in place of Grapefruit and Laurel Leaf can be very refreshing in place of Rosemary. 🙂

Taylor July 29, 2015 at 2:35 am

There’s nothing more comforting or invigorating than a home scented with essential oils. I am a huge fan of EO and thanks for sharing your recipe Andrea. Can’t wait to try this out.

Andrea Butje July 29, 2015 at 9:14 am

I know and that love that feeling too, Taylor! Hope you enjoy the diffuser blend and you find some more recipes on the Aromahead blog that you like 🙂

Melissa @Essential Oils June 12, 2015 at 4:32 pm

heard about this effect of essential oils and now I have actually felt it, I have always been a late sleeper and feel so lazy in the morning, using this blend made me feel actually fresh and ready to start the day with enthusiasm, great thing!

Andrea Butje June 17, 2015 at 4:07 pm

LOVE to hear that Melissa! Makes waking up just a little bit easier 🙂

Leia Chester May 15, 2015 at 10:29 pm

I think almost people need energy in the morning to start a beautiful and efficient work day. You make a very helpful post. People can rely on this writing to choose the best essential oil diffuser blends for themselves. Thanks for sharing!

Andrea Butje May 20, 2015 at 8:41 am

You’re welcome Leia! Thanks so much for the sweet comment 🙂

Debbie April 9, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Been making this each day but your blog has encouraged me to make a stock bottle. My bottle order has come in and I just made my first stock bottle. I’m ready for the morning. Thank you!

Andrea Butje April 10, 2015 at 7:32 am

Awesome Debbie! Love to hear that 🙂

Teena Rockwell April 3, 2015 at 10:11 am

I am excited to try this blend. Do I add any coconut oil to it or just the 3 oils?

Andrea Butje April 8, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Just the three oils Teena – enjoy!

Andrea Butje February 27, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Nicole, I am glad to hear you are enjoying Peppermint! I love the energy boost too!