A Winter Skin Care Routine with Aloe, Avocado, and Rose

by Andrea Butje on January 9, 2017

Create a winter skin care routine with natural ingredients to cleanse, moisturize, and hydrate.

Does your skin feel tight and dry this time of year? Sometimes, skin can lose moisture and some of its natural oils can become depleted. It can be so uncomfortable. And using soap—even all natural, organic soap—can just make your skin feel more dried out.

I have a winter skin care routine you can try that uses all natural ingredients. It’s a nourishing cycle that keeps skin clean, healthy, and feeling great . . . and looking great, too!

The first step is cleansing…

…and for that you can use aloe (Aloe barbadensis). Just pure aloe vera gel! Aloe is soothing and cooling, and can cleanse impurities from skin. Fill a 1 oz (30 ml) glass bottle with aloe vera gel, and use it every night instead of soap to wash your face. Just massage it into your skin, and then rinse with warm water. You can use a cotton face round if you like.

The next step is hydrating…

…and for that, use a few spritzes of Rose hydrosol (Rose damascena). You can just pour 1 oz (30 ml) Rose hydrosol into a glass spray bottle, and dampen your skin with it. This helps to restore hydration, and to tone skin at the same time. (And it smells so good!)

The next step is moisturizing…

…and for that part, use avocado oil (Persea gratissima). Again, you can use a 1 oz (30 ml) glass bottle, and fill it with pure avocado oil. When your skin is still a little damp with the Rose hydrosol, massage a small dab of avocado oil into it. This works as a moisturizer and humectant, which means it helps skin to retain its natural moisture.

You can keep your skin hydrated throughout the day with your Rose hydrosol spritz.

Carry it with you in a bag, and spritz it onto your skin whenever it starts to feel a little dried out. This is so refreshing, both for your skin and your energy—you might want to make a bigger spray bottle of it and use it as a body spray!

Karen Karoly March 14, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I would like to know where to buy rose hydrosol or how to make. Can you help?

Andrea Butje March 15, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Hi Karen!
Thanks for asking! I am happy to share resources. Aromatics carries a beautiful selection of hydrosols. Here’s a direct link: https://www.aromatics.com/products/hydrosols/hydrosol-rose-otto-damascena-organically-grown

Adele February 8, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Hi Andrea,
Thank you for this easy trio. It is now my new daily routine. The only change I made is that to the Avocado Oil moisturizer I added some rosehip oil, vitamin E oil and pomegranate oil.
My skin feels great. 🙂

Andrea Butje February 8, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Adele how great that you have a new daily routine! I love that!

Susan January 16, 2017 at 10:50 pm

I have seen in many recipes…hydrosol. What is hydrosol??

Thank you!

Andrea Butje January 17, 2017 at 2:25 am

Great question Susan! During the process of essential oil distillation, highly concentrated essential oils are produced. A hydrosol is a result of the essential oil distillation process – it’s an aromatic water that still has a lot of the properties of an essential oil but it is more gentle than an essential oil. It contains the water soluble parts of the plant being distilled. They are healing, aromatic waters.

Aromatics International has a lovely selection of hydrosols:

Eva F January 16, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Since I already have Neroli Hydrosol, what is your opinion of using this in the place of Rose Hydrosol? Thank you.

Andrea Butje January 17, 2017 at 2:22 am

Neroli Hydrosol would be lovely too Eva!

Peggy January 10, 2017 at 10:41 am

Helllo Andrea,

Since our face have sebum on top, and aloe Vera gel is water soluble, do I need to mix the aloe gel with another oil for cleaning? Thanks

Andrea Butje January 10, 2017 at 11:52 pm

It’s not necessary Peggy. The aloe does a the job of cleansing impurities from skin!

Eileen January 9, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Hello,
I have a question – can I use gel from my aloe vera plant for the recipes that call for aloe vera gel?
Eileen

Andrea Butje January 9, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Yep Eileen, you can use aloe directly from the plant, but it will only last a few days. So I would suggest to take a little aloe fresh each day.

Eileen January 9, 2017 at 11:48 pm

Thank you, Andrea.

Gayle January 13, 2017 at 3:57 pm

How do you make aloe spray from a plant?

Andrea Butje January 18, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Hi Gayle! I don’t make an aloe spray from a plant because the aloe from the plant is really only good for a day or 2 after you pick the leaf. If you want to make an aloe spray I would recommend buying aloe vera gel, it is loose enough to use in a spray.

collee January 9, 2017 at 11:53 am

HI, Andrea: does the cleansing part open the pores? I have mature combination skin, and I’ve always read that heat is needed to soften the skin and open the pores to I need to use heat to open and soften the pores to remove blackheads. How does aloe vera remove blackheads and other problems? And, do you have a skin care routine for mature combo skin? Thanks. Collee

Andrea Butje January 9, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Hi Collee,
Rinsing with warm water generally helps to open the pores.

I do find that each person’s skin may respond differently so it’s always best to try this routine and see how it goes.

Usually thicker moisturizing carrier oils are good for mature skin –  Avocado oil – is nice too, although it is a personal preference. I would suggest to try a little and see how it works for your skin.

And since it’s very individual, I like to recommend a book by Len Price called “Carrier Oils for Aromatherapy and Massage”.  It’s a wonderful resource to look up the properties of carriers to decide what would be best for your skin – each carrier has different properties.
You can find Len’s book here with all the books I love: http://astore.amazon.com/wwwaromaticsi-20/detail/1874353026

Natali Zima January 9, 2017 at 9:27 am

Andrea, thanks for the article. You are right, Rosa helps at any time of the year. But here in Moscow -41S and spray dampening only harm the skin. I personally use the cream from goat’s milk, vegetable oils, flax and amaranth and essential oils, and instead of my favorite Hydrolat crystalline Melt water. Good luck to all and health!

Andrea Butje January 10, 2017 at 10:31 am

Hi Natali!
Wow, now that indeed is cold!
Thank you for offering your perspective.

Shawn B January 16, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Hi,

My teenaged daughter has been having such a miserable time with all of her skin. Is there a way I can modify this for her entire body?

Thanks in advance!

Andrea Butje January 18, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Hi Shawn!
With teenaged acne the first thing I would recommend is to stop using soap and start using a natural cleanser. I have an awesome recipe for an Aloe Avocado Soap-Free Face Wash. I recently wrote a blog post about this soap free cleanser and you’ll find the recipe here: http://www.aromahead.com/blog/SoapFreeFaceWash

Next, I would recommend using German Chamomile hydrosol several times a day and when needed, spot treat with Tea Tree. It will take some time, try this and give it several weeks. Let me know how this works. 🙂