A Cold and Flu Blend for Daytime and Nighttime

by Andrea Butje on January 16, 2017

Essential oils are amazing when it comes to supporting immunity against colds and flu.

Winter is prime time for viruses in many parts of the world. Fortunately, essential oils offer us powerful ways to stay healthy.

There are many essential oils that can combat microbes and support health at the same time, but you don’t actually need a huge collection. There are five “powerhouse oils” that you can make so many blends with!

These five powerhouse oils are:

• Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
  • Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
  • Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
  • Frankincense (Boswellia carterii)
  • Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis)

You can diffuse Frankincense and Lavender throughout the day to help destroy airborne microbes. Your house will be healthier and will smell amazing!

Or make a simple inhaler with Eucalyptus and Sweet Orange, so you can carry it with you and use it throughout the day.

One of my favorite recipes is from my three-hour video class, “How To Protect Your Family from Colds and Flu.”

It’s a diffuser blend called. . .

No One Gets Sick in This House!

• 5 drops Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
  • 5 drops Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
  • 6 drops Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis)

This blend is great for diffusing throughout the day. When evening sets in, I switch over to the nighttime version, which is a little less stimulating (but no less immune-supportive!). That one is called. . .

Everyone Gets a Good Night’s Sleep

• 6 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
  • 8 drops Frankincense (Boswellia carterii)
  • 4 drops Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis)

If you want to check out the three-hour video class, click here. Each blend in “How To Protect Your Family from Colds and Flu” has a children’s version with adjusted oils and drop counts, and you’ll learn how to identify good essential oil substitutions for each recipe. The video class is $50, and you can watch it as many times as you like. It’s great to take a “refresher course” when next year’s cold and flu season comes around!

Breathe deep and enjoy winter!

MIchael March 20, 2017 at 10:42 am

Is it alright to use the No One Gets Sick in This House! as a rub diluted in 10ml of carrier oil? And apply to neck throat area, cheekbones, forehead and bridge of nose. Thanks.

Andrea Butje March 20, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Hi Michael!
Yep you blend these oils into a carrier and for 10ml of carrier I would recommend reducing the number of drops:
10ml of carrier
1 drops Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
1 drops Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
2 drops Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis)

Some oils can potentially irritate the eyes and while some people are comfortable applying blends to the temples, we would suggest applying to the shoulders, chest and back of the neck.

MLee January 26, 2017 at 10:29 pm

Hi! Just finished watching the Webinar on Oils & Allergies. There was a mention of a PDF file and since I am currently suffering through cold/allergy/sinus ?? I was hoping to find it. Can you tell me where I can find it, please (I’m so congested). Also are there any of those oils or ones on this page that shouldn’t be used around pets? Thanks!

Andrea Butje January 26, 2017 at 11:17 pm

MLee, check your email – we send a follow up email after the webinar that includes the links to download the recipes and slides.

With animals, as long as small animals can leave the room and not be around the aroma if it bothers them, and as long as the space is well ventilated (and the animal is not restricted to the area where the oils are being used), then I have not been concerned diffusing with essential oils.

For additional information about essential oils and pets, we can refer you to Caroline Ingraham and Kelly Holland Azzaro, who both teach about this. Caroline Ingraham – http://www.ingraham.co.uk/
Kelly Holland Azzaro – http://www.ashitherapy.com/

Ronni January 26, 2017 at 8:58 am

As always great information
Have a wonderful day.

Glenda B. January 25, 2017 at 3:37 am

I was wondering why you leave Eucalyptus out of your nightly blend? I tend to get more stuffy & congested at night so wouldn’t it be more helpful if it were in the night blend too?

Andrea Butje January 25, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Hi Glenda!
The beauty of essential oils is that there are often many options for their uses and many alternatives. Frankincense is supportive for breathing and I have chosen it along with lavender and sweet orange calming oils for a restful sleep. You can certainly add eucalyptus to your nighttime blend.

Deb January 24, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I have a 12 oz diffuser and a 32 oz one. Would I use the same number of essential oil drops in both or would nearly I triple the drops for the larger one?

Andrea Butje January 25, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Hi Deb!
Drop amount in a diffuser is personal preference and the main considerations would be the ventilation, the oils being used and who is in the house (small animals or babies for example). In a closed up space with no air flow and small animals or babies around, you can reduce the number of drops significantly (just use a few drops total) and only diffuse for a short time.

I would experiment with your diffuser and see what works for you.

Marnie January 23, 2017 at 2:55 pm

I do not have sweet orange on hand…is there anything else that I could use in place of the sweet orange? I have tangerine and mandarin.
Thank you so much for all that you do!!!

Andrea Butje January 25, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Hi Marine! Yes either Tangerine or Mandarin would be great! All 3 – Sweet Orange, Tangerine and Mandarin can be used interchangeably.

Mary January 17, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Great information! Thanks again Andrea!

Andrea Butje January 18, 2017 at 4:30 pm

You’re very welcome Mary! 🙂

Donna Christofferson January 16, 2017 at 11:37 am

Can I substitute eucalyptus globulus with eucalyptus citriodora to make it safer for little ones or does that matter in a diffuser?

Andrea Butje January 18, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Hi Donna! Eucalyptus citriodora is such a different oil from E. globulus that I would recommend, for a more kid friendly diffuser blend, substituting Frankincense instead. That being said, Robert Tisserand does say that you can use a few drops of Eucalyptus in a diffuser blend around young children as long as it is not close to their face.