Blending with essential oils and creating amazing scents is what often pops up first in our minds when we think of Aromatherapy.
It’s also fun to blend with aromatic carrier oils and butters, learning their properties and the ways they affect your recipes. Some carrier butters and oils have amazing aromas. Others are very mild, like jojoba—unless we add essential oils or other carrier oils!
Some are so aromatic that I like to use them for perfumes. Here’s a recipe for a solid perfume balm made with beeswax and coffee flower infused jojoba:
Coffee Flower & Lavender Perfume Balm
- 1 oz (28 g) Beeswax (Cera alba)
- 2 oz (60 ml) Coffee flower infused jojoba wax (Simmondsia chinensis)
- 25 drops Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
- 15 drops Juniper Berry essential oil (Juniperus communis)
- 20 drops Mandarin essential oil (Citrus reticulata)
Prepare a soup pot ¼ full of water and set it to a low boil. Put your jojoba and beeswax into a Pyrex measuring cup, and then put the Pyrex in the soup pot. It will act like a double boiler and melt the beeswax gently.
Once your blend is melted, remove the Pyrex from heat and add your essential oils. Stir gently. Then pour your blend into three 1 oz (30 ml) glass jars or metal tins. Set the lids on top so the oils don’t evaporate as your perfume solidifies.
There are so many other aromatic carrier oils and butters you can play with.
I’ve written about many of them on the blog. Here is a blog post you can check out: Blending with Carrier Oils and Butters
You don’t have to add essential oils to your therapeutic blends at all! Natural, unrefined carrier oils and butters have so many benefits in and of themselves that they can bring about many different effects all on their own.
Have fun reading. Maybe you’ll find a new favorite!
Latest posts by Andrea Butje (see all)
- Teaching Aromatherapy is one of the sweetest joys in life! - March 20, 2017
- Aromatic Carrier Oils and Butters (+ a perfume recipe!) - March 13, 2017
- How To Make Sports Massage Oil with Jojoba - February 27, 2017