Teaching Aromatherapy is one of the sweetest joys in life!

by Andrea Butje on March 20, 2017

I will never forget the day I knew I wanted to teach Aromatherapy.

At the time, I was running a Massage Therapy school with Cindy Black. We used carrier oils at the school, but I had not focused much on essential oils.

Then one day, I noticed a beautiful catalogue for a new essential oil company, and decided to order some of their oils. When the oils arrived, I used a bit of my new Roman Chamomile in jojoba to massage some tension out of my belly—the tension calmed almost immediately!

I knew then that I had to study these amazing oils more in depth, and that I wanted to teach others about their beautiful effects. I started Aromahead Institute in 1998, and it has changed my life in wonderful ways!

If you have ever taught Aromatherapy, I’m sure you can relate . . .

• Teaching others about essential oils and making natural products is one of the sweetest joys in life!
  • It’s so heartwarming to hear feedback from students who have improved their health, or the health of family or friends, with what you’ve taught them about essential oils.
  • It’s fun to be able to make your own work schedules as you plan classes!
  • You can even travel to new locations to reach more people.
  • The relationships you form while teaching Aromatherapy can last a lifetime—there are so many beautiful people involved in Aromatherapy, and all of them love essential oils as much as you!
  • Using essential oils in your career is deeply fulfilling.

Right now is a wonderful time for Aromatherapy teachers. Essential oils are becoming very popular, and people want to learn about them from reliable sources. The need for well-informed teachers who can share research-based information about the oils is very high. This means that in addition to having a big impact on students, Aromatherapy teachers can also have a big impact on the profession and the way it is growing!

So keep learning about essential oils and sharing what you know!

Cha April 23, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Hi Andrea, I viewed your last webinar about the Teacher Training last week. It was after it had aired and I loved it, because you are so amazing and I appreciate (always have) your honesty and I found myself appreciating you all over again, for sharing your experience around teaching when you first started. I was laughing out loud to myself, because you may have recalled my freaking out for some time around teaching. And when I took the Teacher Training it was no different, I was still intimidated.
However, I took the Teacher Certification Training a few years later with you I remember on the first day, you sharing about the process of how we would be bringing to the student the lessons, something in me just lit up and for the first time ever, I “knew” that fear was gone. I think I said out loud “I’m Ready”. And I never had fear again (Butterflies, yes). Even when questions are asked that I am not sure about or I stated a fact un-clearly or incorrectly what got me through is admitting that I was incorrect or unclear. And each time I learned more, giving me clarity about what I was confused about.
My earlier fears were about “what if I don’t know the answer”. That fear paralyzed me for years. Now, it frees me, because if I don’t know the answer, I look it up, or someone else may know it, or I just don’t know the answer. What is true is that it doesn’t stop me from teaching, but allows me to continue to learn more. I always thank my students for helping me to get clarity. It is humbling and beautiful to teach and SO much fun!
I don’t always get to watch your webinars and I am always thrilled when I do. And since I couldn’t comment during the webinar I wanted to share now, so that those who wish to take the Teacher Training understand how much more they will learn as a result and they get to be among a bunch of people who want to learn from them and have fun in the process.
Once you have a way to organize your teaching it will be a breeze, if not at the beginning, soon after, so enjoy it folks and keep teaching and learning. You will be happy you did!

Andrea Butje April 24, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Hi Cha!
I feel extremely blessed reading your message. I just love that you have shared your experience – how you had fears about teaching and when you began the first day of teacher training you were assured you that you were “Ready” to be the amazing teacher you arhttps://www.aromahead.com/blog/wp-admin/edit-comments.php?comment_status=moderated&sucuriscan_lastlogin=1#comments-forme!

Sending my love and appreciation!

Sherry Shorrosh April 11, 2017 at 8:43 am

Hi, Andrea, I am fairly new to the world of aromatherapy and essential oils. I have loved learning from you and intend to continue. Thank you for sharing all this wonderful information so freely. It is all so valuable and efficacious to everyday life. I’m looking for a healthy liquid dish soap recipe and was wondering if you could recommend something that is gentle on hands. Thanks again and expect to see me signed up for classes as soon as I can swing it. Sherry

Andrea Butje April 11, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Hi Sherry!
It’s great to hear that you have been enjoying learning from the resources we share at Aromahead!

I have a great recipe to wash dishes by hand. It’s from my new book “The Heart of Aromatherapy”.

Lavender’s “Squeaky Clean Skin-Friendly” Dish Soap is made with a base of liquid Castile soap. I love Castile soap – it is made of all-natural vegetable oils and while Castile soap does not sud, it does wash well!

6 oz (168 g) castile soap
1 oz (30 ml) lavender hydrosol
12 drops lavender
8 drops rosalina
8 drops tea tree

My new book, “The Heart of Aromatherapy”, is available here: https://www.aromatics.com/products/accessories/book-the-heart-of-aromatherapy

Tracy March 23, 2017 at 10:05 am

Thank you for posting this. I love all the healing properties of oils and am always looking to lear more. I am very interested in your online classes. Excited!

Andrea Butje March 23, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Hi Tracy!
I share that love – I am passionate about essential oils and I too love their healing properties!

We have a free online class that’s a wonderful way place to begin. Our Introduction to Essential Oils class is a popular class at Aromahead and it’s a great way to help you build a foundation of knowledge with essential oils and aromatherapy. I hope you will enjoy this. Here is the link for more information:

Shary March 21, 2017 at 4:38 pm

That sounds amazing, I would love to take that class upon completing ACP❤

Andrea Butje March 22, 2017 at 10:12 am

Shary,
That’s so great to hear! Continuing your learning and sharing that learning can have a big impact our the profession!

Emily March 21, 2017 at 11:30 am

I am so excited to enroll in this class! I’m almost finished with the ACP and I’m ready to move on to my next class!

Andrea Butje March 21, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Emily, that’s fantastic! Teaching is one of the joys in my life! I am delighted to have the opportunity to share this with you!

Zandra Loggins March 21, 2017 at 10:23 am

I am so excited! Many thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

Andrea Butje March 21, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Thank you Zandra!
It’s heartwarming to receive your message!

Alisa March 21, 2017 at 9:33 am

When I become certified, I definitely want to enroll in the teacher training!! 🙂

Andrea Butje March 21, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Alisa that’s fabulous! You can have a big impact on the profession and the way it is growing!

Bridget March 21, 2017 at 6:35 am

Hi Andrea,
I know is isn’t the 28th yet, but can you share how long the teacher training class will be for teaching aromatherapy? Either I missed it on the website or it isn’t listed yet. Just trying to plan ahead, since I’m still in the Aromatherapy Certification Program.
Bridget in Tallahassee.

Andrea Butje March 21, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Hi Bridget!
Would you mind emailing me about this and I can share some information with you.
andrea@aromahead.com

Donna March 21, 2017 at 3:25 am

There just isn’t enough hours in the day for me to do all the things you have available or read all the fabulous information you so generously share. Truly appreciated your approach to this life changing subject.

Andrea Butje March 21, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Thank you Donna for your sweet words! I am thankful for how this community enriches my life!

Wendy Wheeler March 20, 2017 at 10:40 am

Hi Andrea, when does your aromatherapy teacher training class open for registration? Also, what are the prerequisites to register? I am looking forward to this class!!! Thank you.

Andrea Butje March 20, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Hi Wendy!
I am excited that we will be emailing all Aromahead students on March 28th about our Teacher Training Class.

Mary March 20, 2017 at 9:12 am

Andrea, you are an inspiration to everyone with all the knowledge you freely share. When I watch you’re videos, they make me smile because your kindness shows through! Thanks so much!

Andrea Butje March 20, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Mary, I am smiling reading your sweet words! Thank you!

Rebecca Bennett March 20, 2017 at 8:45 am

Interested in taking class.

Andrea Butje March 20, 2017 at 3:52 pm

That’s fantastic Rebecca! We can help!! We have many classes to offer at Aromahead Institute. We offer classes for people to study very specific areas of interest, such as Natural Living, or the Conifers in Component Blending or Aromatherapy Certification.

Here is the link to our website where you can find more information about the classes we offer: https://www.aromahead.com

I would be pleased to help guide you in selecting classes. Please feel free to email me any questions you may have: andrea@aromahead.com

Sherry Shorrosh April 19, 2017 at 11:34 am

Hi, Andrea. Thank you so much for the dish soap recipe. I’m ordering some Lavender hydrosol so I can make this soap. It sounds like it will smell great. As I have gone through some of your free classes ,I’ve consistently found that your recipes work effectively. That’s not the case with other recipes I’ve found online. My husband had a horrible headache in the middle of the night, and after he had tried everything else, he asked if I knew of anything. So, I remembered your Headache inhaler blend and mixed it up as well as rubbed some of the blend into his neck and shoulders. It immediately started working and within 5 minutes his headache was gone. He went right to sleep. Thanks so much that! My husband wanted me to ask if you know of any help for Tinnitus. He has been suffering for years. We greatly appreciate your work and our plan is to continue learning with you by enrolling at Aromahead as soon we financially are able. Gratefully, Sherry Shorrosh

Andrea Butje April 19, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Hi Sherry!
I am so delighted to receive your feedback – thank you so much!!

I have spent many years developing and testing the recipes I share and it means so much to me to know that your husband has had wonderful success.

For Tinnitus I would suggest seeing an acupuncturist.  Foot reflexology can also be amazing.
Some people have found that using an inhaler can feel calming:

1 drop Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata)

7 drops Frankincense (Boswellia carterii)
7 drops Yuzu (Citrus junos)

(Since Yuzu is not as commonly found in everyone’s oil collection, you could use Orange (Sweet) (Citrus sinensis) in place of it).