Argan Aloe Face Wash

by Andrea Butje on May 22, 2017

I love making my own soap with all natural ingredients . . . but I don’t always like to use soap on my face.

As nourishing as it is, it can still leave my face feeling a little too dried out. (And this doesn’t even touch on the way store-bought soaps can affect my skin! I avoid them altogether.)

Instead, I like to wash my face with cleansing, nourishing aloe, carrier oils and essential oils. Argan oil and aloe vera gel are a combination I particularly love. Argan oil comes from Morocco, and has a very light silky feel. The aroma is gently nutty. I love the way it moisturizes my skin without making it feel greasy or oily.

I add a few drops of essential oil—a very few! I don’t like to use too much essential oil on my face. Here’s a recipe I put on YouTube for an Argan Aloe Face Wash where I add just two drops of essential oil total: one of Lavender, and one of Frankincense.

Argan Aloe Face Wash

Make your Argan Aloe Face Wash in a 1 oz (30 ml) glass bottle. I don’t measure this recipe perfectly. I just fill my bottle with…

• ¾ Argan oil (Argania spinosa)
  • ¼ Aloe vera gel (Aloe barbadensis)
  • 1 drop Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
  • 1 drop Frankincense essential oil (Boswellia carterii)

You can follow along with the YouTube video and make the face wash with me (it’s a good way to see how much argan oil and aloe I’m actually adding).

You can use your Argan-Aloe Face Wash just like soap. Put a small amount in your palm, massage it gently into your skin, then rinse it off with warm water. I bet you won’t need moisturizer after washing your face anymore! I recommend making yourself a fresh bottle of this every few weeks.

I chose Lavender and Frankincense for this recipe because I love their aromas and they are gentle on the skin.

You can use different skin-sweet essential oils if you prefer. Here are a few ideas:

• Patchouli (Pogostemom cablin)
  • Geranium (Pelargonium roseum x asperum)
  • Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)
  • Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha)
  • Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum)

Julie Burger June 12, 2017 at 10:07 pm

I would love to try this but wanted to ask if aloe gel is the same as jelly? Also can you tell me if this needs a preservative? Thank you so much!

Andrea Butje June 13, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Hi Julie!
There can be different consistencies – Xanthan gum (it’s a natural ingredient) is added to Aloe vera to give that slight gel-like texture – so depending on the company you purchase from there can be different consistencies.

The aloe gel is preserved already when bought through a store, but as soon as you add anything to it, you can no longer be exactly sure how long it will last. I do prefer to make it fresh every few weeks. This 1 oz recipe seems to be perfect amount for me to use in that time.

I love the results from this Aloe vera gel – it’s a thinner consistency that can actually be sprayed: https://www.aromatics.com/products/carrier-oils-butters/aloe-vera-gel

Elizabeth June 12, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Hello. I wonder about the quality of aloe vera that I can purchase locally. At my co-op, I see stuff in bottles that looks like liquid. At Target I see tubes that I am sure are gel, but they are opaque. I know if I got it from Aromatics International or Mountain Rose Herbs, it would be great, bit I would really rather not wait and pay shipping if I can get it at my co-op.

I guess I am asking what consistency am I looking for and where can I get the good stuff locally?

This has been bothering me for a long time. I am so glad to have a source of information I trust! Thanks!

Andrea Butje June 13, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Hi Elizabeth!
Aloe Vera gel can have different consistencies. I do love the results with the Aloe Vera gel from Aromatics as it is a thinner consistency and can actually be sprayed.

It is a personal preference – you may have to try a few brands until you find a consistency you love.

Kathy Crosby June 2, 2017 at 5:03 pm

I plan on making the Argan oil face wash. Can you tell me the difference between the frankincense oils Boswellia Carterii and Boswllia Sacra? Is one better than the other?

Andrea Butje June 3, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Hi Kathy!
The Boswellia tree that produces Frankincense resin has many different species and varieties all throughout middle east and Africa. So there are many different Frankincense oils. They are similar in properties although some may vary more than others. It depends on personal preference in aroma, too.

Boswellia carterii and Boswellia sacra are extremely similar in their properties. Boswellia sacra resin comes from Oman and it is also called Royal Houjri resin, light to greenish in color and some people feel that they have higher energetic qualities. Personally I like both, and they are all wonderful oils. 🙂

Kathy Crosby June 5, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Thank you.
I just want to say I heard you speak on the Hay House Summit, which led me to your site. I enjoyed your talk and found it very informative. Since then, I have made your Luscious Skin Recipe. I like How it feels on my skin and nice to know what the ingredients are and how beneficial they are.

Thank you again for answering my question. I was doing research, but was getting a little information overload.

Andrea Butje June 5, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Welcome Kathy!
I am delighted that the Hay House Summit lead you to the Aromahead Blog. I love hearing how you are enjoying my Luscious Skin recipe! It’s wonderfully nourishing for the skin!

preeti May 25, 2017 at 7:09 am

I adore those recipes that make you feel happy. I am definitely trying this at home. I think it’s something my son and I would enjoy!

Jackie Maxwell May 22, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Hi Andrea,
I love this face wash and have been using it for about a month. It’s so clean and leaves my face so soft. I had been using the butters, but they were a bit too heavy. This one is perfect. And great for sensitive skin! Thank you.

Andrea Butje May 23, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Jackie this Argan Aloe face wash is a personal favorite of mine and it makes me very happy to hear you are having wonderful results! Thank you for sharing that!

Samantha May 22, 2017 at 8:33 am

Thank you for this recipe Andrea! I found it a few months ago and especially with the Northeast winters could not believe how nourishing it was! I am hooked on Argan oil for life!

Andrea Butje May 22, 2017 at 5:21 pm

It’s a favorite blend of many! So glad you are loving it Samantha!