Steam with Essential Oils for Allergies

by Andrea Butje on May 29, 2017

steam with essential oils for allergies

Using essential oils for allergies can change your whole experience of allergy season!

If allergies behaved the way we wanted, they’d never be there in the first place.
Sometimes they are predictable—if you know you are allergic to something, or you always get seasonal allergies, you can prepare yourself for them.

But they can also be unpredictable. If you get seasonal allergies and then move to a new geographic region, you may find you leave your allergies behind. Or develop a few new ones! Sometimes allergies disappear after years of having them, and sometimes your body seems to “suddenly” develop a reaction to something that you’ve been exposed to for a long time.

I began using essential oils for allergies years ago, and I had such wonderful experiences with them—in fact, I don’t experience allergies anymore at all! Essential oils are a natural, effective way to soothe allergies (and in my case, eliminate them altogether!).

Here’s one of my favorite ways to use essential oils for allergies in a warm, aromatic steam.

This is actually a stock blend, which means you’ll blend four essential oils together, then use a single drop of that blend in your steam. (Yup—just one is enough!) This allows you to get the benefits of multiple oils in a single drop.

steam recipe to use essential oils for allergiesNeedles, Trees, and Leaves Stock Blend for Allergies

• 25 drops Balsam Fir essential oil (Abies balsamea)
  • 25 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (Eucalyptus globulus)
  • 15 drops Laurel Leaf essential oil (Laurus nobilis)
  • 40 drops Tea Tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)

Make this blend in a 5 ml bottle. All you have to do is add all of the essential oil drops to the bottle, and tighten the cap to snap the orifice reducer in place. (The orifice reducer is what allows you to get one drop out of the bottle.)

To do a steam with essential oils for allergies (or when you want to prevent them), you’ll need a bowl of warm, steamy water. I like to fill a soup bowl about halfway. Then add a single drop of your stock blend to the bowl.

Just one drop is enough. In fact, if I get two or three drops of essential oil in my steamy water, I usually like to set that bowl aside to let it diffuse into the room, and start over with a new bowl of water.

Once you’ve added the essential oil, close your eyes (that’s important!), lean over the bowl, and breathe in the warm, nourishing steam. I like to drape a towel over my head to concentrate the steam around me even more. Breathe in the steam for a few minutes, and repeat several times a day. And here’s something you’ll want to take note of . . . you might want to keep a box of tissues nearby when you steam! It tends to loosen up your sinuses and unclog your nose, making you want to sniffle and blow your nose.

Libby June 9, 2017 at 6:44 pm

What a terrific way to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of pure essential oils. Our family uses essential oils daily and it’s great to discover new blends that have worked for others. Andrea, it looks like you have created a very powerful allergy blend here that I will enjoy making and using!

Andrea Butje June 10, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Libby I would love to hear how it goes as the family uses this blend!

Stacy June 8, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Hi! Can you tell me if this would be effective if done in a diffuser? I have a Zaq diffuser and wonder if this would work well breathing it into my system that way if I don’t have time to do a steaming (such as at my office, etc.).

Andrea Butje June 10, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Hi Stacy! Yes you could also diffuse. Both steaming and diffusing are great but the steam allows the essential oil to penetrate even more deeply into the lungs and can help to open up the breathing more quickly.

Kalpana June 6, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Hello Andrea, can you be specific in the time duration we can use these steam of an oil. I mean is it okay to use it for day or how long can we use ?

Andrea Butje June 7, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Hi Kalpan!
Here’s a video from our Aromahead YouTube channel that you can watch to learn how to do a steam (at about 3:16 I demonstrate) https://youtu.be/5gnpvJs-3Ho

All you do is breathe in the steam (with your eyes closed) for about 1 minute. I usually like to set that bowl aside to let it diffuse into the room I am in. You can steam several times a day – simply start over with a new bowl of water.

Nancy Whalen May 30, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Hi Andrea! Thank you for another great blend! I don’t have any of the firs that you suggest. Would pine, cypress or black spruce work in this blend as a replacement? Thank you!

Andrea Butje May 30, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Hi Nancy!
Yep! Any conifer you have would be fine!

Nancy Whalen May 31, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Thanks so much!

Gayle May 29, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Hi, is there any oils that could be substituted for the Balsam Fir and the Laurel Leaf? And if not where could I purchase them

Andrea Butje May 30, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Hi Gayle!
Try Aromatics – here are some direct links.

Until you get these two amazing oils, you could use Siberian Fir (Abies siberica) in place of Balsam Fir and Ravintsara (Ho leaf) (Cinnamomum camphora ct 1,8 cineole) or Saro (Cinnamosma fragrans) in place of Laurel Leaf.

Marlana May 29, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Could you do this using a netipot or put this blend in a diffuser?

Andrea Butje May 29, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Hi Marlana!
Yes you could use this blend in a diffuser.

I have not used oils in the neti pot as they can irritate the mucous lining of the nose. Adding a capful of hydrosol in the neti pot solution may be a better way to go.

Carolyn May 29, 2017 at 11:19 am

Do you use the same bowl with that one drop the entire day and just reheat it? Or a fresh one with a new drop?
Thank you and have a wonderful week!

Andrea Butje May 29, 2017 at 1:30 pm

Hi Carolyn!
I like to set the bowl aside to let it diffuse into the room after I have done a steam and then I start over with a new bowl of water and another drop of oil.

Carolyn May 30, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Thank you. Great idea

Veta May 29, 2017 at 11:13 am

Perfect timing, thanks for the post. Steaming, here I come!