Soothe Sunburn with Aloe and Essential Oils

by Andrea Butje on June 26, 2017

soothe sunburn with aloe

Sunburned? Here’s how to naturally soothe sunburn with aloe.

Lots of us plan fun activities outside in the sun. But nobody plans to get sunburned!

It’s more like sunburn sneaks up on us. It can happen whether you’ve planned a day of fun at the beach and forgot your hat, if you’re gardening for longer than you planned, or if you go to a friend’s house and wind up spending time outside when you weren’t expecting it.

For kids, who often love playing outside and can lose track of time, sunburns can show up again and again.

This is a recipe that allows you to soothe sunburn with aloe vera and Lavender essential oil. It offers such relief for sunburned skin! You can also use it to restore and protect skin even if you haven’t been sunburned. (Skin loves this stuff!)

Sunburn Soother

• Just under 1 oz (28 g) aloe vera gel (Aloe barbadensis)
  • 2 ml Solubol dispersant
  • 10 drops Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia)

This recipe takes just a few minutes to make.

All you have to do is pour your aloe gel and Solubol into a 1 oz (30 ml) bottle, add the 10 drops of Lavender, close the bottle, and shake.

I like to store mine in the refrigerator, so it feels cool and refreshing when I rub it in.

If you get sunburned, you can apply it often until the heat calms down.

Lavender is a beautiful essential oil to use for calming sunburns. It reduces inflammation, and supports skin in its natural process of healing and restoring balance. Lavender has a reputation for relaxing the emotions and soothing the heart. Just imagine it bringing those qualities to a sunburned patch of skin!

If you’d rather use a different essential oil than Lavender, here are a few you can try in 1 oz (28 g) of aloe:

• 5 drops Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii var. motia)
    OR
  • 5 drops Geranium (Pelargonium × asperum)
    OR
  • 10 drops Cedarwood (Juniperus virginiana)
    OR
  • 10 drops Frankincense (Boswellia carterii)

Want to try a different version of a sunburn soothing recipe? Here’s a recipe for Sunburn Spray made with Lavender hydrosol, essential oil, aloe vera, and a few tabs of vitamin E gel.

Enjoy!

Angela Meadowcroft July 5, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Hi Andrea.
Firstly, I just want to say I absolutely Love Aromahead!! Are we able to share your blog posts on our social media?

Warm Regards,
Angela

Andrea Butje July 6, 2017 at 11:14 am

Thank you Angela, I am delighted to know you Aromahead!!

Absolutely I would love and greatly appreciate you sharing Aromahead’s blog posts!

Emeri July 4, 2017 at 11:01 pm

I’m interested in your Aromahead app, but I don’t have a IPhone or Android, “blackberry” is it possible to get it for PCs?

Andrea Butje July 5, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Hi Emeri!
Thank you for your interest in the Aromahead smartphone app. I’m sorry it’s not available for PC’s but my newly published book “The Heart of Aromatherapy” is available on Kindle. In the book I profile 40 essential oils and There are over 100 recipes and each recipe has a kid-friendly version. I hope that is helpful!
Here’s a link where it can be purchased:

Christine Stalsonburg June 30, 2017 at 10:50 am

If we used a hydrosol for this, would we still need the solubol?

Andrea Butje June 30, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Christine, solubol add extra protection for the skin. You could use Aloe Vera gel in place of soluble dispersant. Add a few ‘blobs’ aloe, shake before using and you’ll notice the oil with attach to the Aloe Vera for added skin protection.

Aromatics International sells a natural soluble dispersant – here’s a direct link: https://www.aromatics.com/products/carrier-oils-butters/dispersant-solubol

Gouri sankar June 30, 2017 at 2:05 am

I always love to follow the natural ingredients, specially for skin. This mixer is looking cool, will try it.

gaudensia June 29, 2017 at 9:47 am

Hey Andrea, I just like your thought of healing. Thank you for the information.

Andrea Butje June 29, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Gaudensia! I love using natural ways to support the body in healing and restoring balance.

Susan Mair June 26, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Thanks so much for providing alternatives. Even though lavender is wonderful for burns, I couldn’t bear to spray it all over. It would replace the burn with a headache. Can we add Rock rose to the list of alternatives? I find it’s more subtle fragrance to be tolerable, where most florals don’t work.

Andrea Butje June 27, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Absolutely Susan! Rock Rose would be lovely too!

Jackie Maxwell June 26, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Love the idea of a spray for sunburn. What do you use as your dispersant?

Andrea Butje June 26, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Hi Jackie!
I am using Solubol for the dispersant.

2 ml Solubol dispersant for this blend.

Denise June 26, 2017 at 10:53 am

At the risk of showing my ignorance…what is Solubol dispersant?

Andrea Butje June 26, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Hi Denise!
Great question! Solubol helps to disperse the essential oils in the Aloe Vera gel (or other water-based carriers). It adds extra protection – it’s helps protect against tiny droplets of pure essential oils being on the skin.

Sahaja Douglass June 26, 2017 at 9:56 am

Andrea, I love all of your recipes. Thanks for all the healing remedies!

Stephanie June 27, 2017 at 11:24 am

Is this made in a glass spray bottle?

Andrea Butje June 27, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Hi Stephanie! Yes you could use a glass spray bottle! A bottle with a flip-top lid is also an option.