A Vanilla Orange Lavender Lip Balm Recipe

by Andrea Butje on July 10, 2017

lip balm recipeIf you love lip balms, learning a great lip balm recipe can be a real “game changer.”

For some people, learning their own lip balm recipe means they’re no longer buying lip balm from stores. For others, it just means they have a lot of new ways to expand their collection!

The basic formula for making amazing lip balm is to use:

• 1 part beeswax
  • 3 parts carrier oils and butters

So that’s a 1:3 ratio.

If you know that basic “formula” for a lip balm recipe, there’s no end to how creative you can be!

It gives you the ability to customize your blends—you can make recipes with shea butter, calendula oil, or raspberry seed oil. You can use essential oils commonly found in lip balms, like Peppermint, Sweet Orange, and Distilled Lime, or you can branch out and make a unique blend with a touch of Myrrh and hint of Rose.

As for essential oils, I like to use about 5 drops of essential oil per lip balm tube.

I want to share a recipe for Vanilla Orange Lavender Lip Balm recipe to get you started making your own!

You’ll need 24 lip balm tubes for this blend. (This lip balm tube holds about 5 ml. If you’d rather use lip balm tins, you can use four 1 oz (30 ml) tins.)

I find it helpful to have a lip balm tube tray to hold up the lip balm tubes. I also like to use plastic pipettes to transfer the melted balm into the lip balm tubes. These tools help prevent spills.
lip balm recipe

Vanilla Orange Lavender Lip Balm

• 1 oz (28 g) beeswax (Cera alba)
  • 1.5 oz (45 ml) vanilla-infused jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis)
  • 1.5 oz (42 g) shea butter (Butyrospermum parkii)
  • 50 drops Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
    (That’s about 2 ml if you use a graduated cylinder to measure.)
  • 50 drops Sweet Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis)
    (That’s about 2 ml if you use a graduated cylinder to measure.)

Directions:

1. First, set up the Stovetop Melting Method. Place a Pyrex measuring cup that holds at least 4 oz (120 ml) in a soup pot that’s about ¼ full of simmering water.
  2. Put the beeswax in the Pyrex and melt.
  3. Add the vanilla-infused jojoba and melt, stirring gently with a glass stirring rod or the handle of a stainless steel spoon.
  4. Add the shea butter and melt, stirring gently. When the shea butter is nearly melted, remove the blend from heat.
  5. Continue stirring until the shea is fully melted.
  6. Add the essential oils, stirring gently.
  7. Use plastic pipettes to transfer the hot liquid into the lip balm tubes.

The lip balms will take just a few minutes to solidify, and then they’ll be ready to use! I love this lip balm recipe because it makes plenty of tubes of lip balm. I can keep a few lip balms all around the house, so one will always be at hand—such as in my bag, in a kitchen drawer, and next to my bed.

There are enough left over to give to friends, too . . . and seeing how much friends enjoy what you made can be one of the most fun parts!

Helene July 18, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Can I just buy a Vanilla Essential Oil , CO2 or ?? & add x/amt of drops to my recipe?

Andrea Butje July 20, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Hi Helene!
If you prefer to use plain jojoba, you could add a drop or two of Vanilla Absolute.

Helene July 21, 2017 at 1:19 pm

I don’t see the Absolute where I am ordering but I do see the Oleoresin. I will get some. My questions are: it says not Kid Safe! Is that true like if I used it in a sugar scrub? So I would need to only use it in ages about 12 & up?
Also, would it be safe for ages 5-12 if it is only the infused Jojoba I use?
If I acquire data on Vanilla will all forms be about the same in therapeutic ways?
Or is vanilla really just about the wonderful aroma?
thanks!!!!

Andrea Butje July 24, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Hi Helene!
There are no known safety issues with Vanilla Oleoresin so I would suggest to ask the company you are purchasing from for clarification.

I find all forms of vanilla to be very calming (based on the wonderful aroma).

Sarah Latham July 12, 2017 at 6:09 am

Can’t wait to try this but I’m struggling to find infused jojoba here in the UK! Id be very grateful if you have you any suggestions???

Andrea Butje July 12, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Hi Sarah!
Making your own Vanilla infused jojoba is fun and so easy! I wrote a blog sharing how to do this. Here’s the link:

Have fun!!

Sarah Latham July 13, 2017 at 2:30 pm

That’s great! Thanks Andrea I’ll look forward to trying this

LoriMc July 11, 2017 at 12:21 pm

This sounds like a wonderful lip balm combination! I do not have vanilla-infused jojoba though – only regular jojoba. Could I add oleoresin vanilla to the mixture? If so, how much would you recommend? Thanks!

Andrea Butje July 12, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Hi LoriMc!
You can infuse jojoba with Vanilla Oleoresin! It’s so easy to make your own Vanilla-infused jojoba. Here’s how: https://www.aromahead.com/blog/2011/04/10/vanilla-infused-jojoba/

Alisa Ricketts July 11, 2017 at 7:59 am

I cannot wait to make this!! Ever since starting your Aromatherapy Certification program, the recipes that you post are (a) easier for me to make and (b) easier for me to understand how to make them ie substituting essential oils, carriers. I am loving your class!! 🙂

Andrea Butje July 11, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Alisa!
Your message brings me great joy!! I am thrilled hearing how you’ve grown with the Aromatherapy Certification Program! Thank you for allowing us to be on the journey of learning with you!!

KIM JOHNSON July 10, 2017 at 10:05 am

That sounds divine! Can you recommend someone to purchase beeswax and Shea butter from ?

Andrea Butje July 10, 2017 at 10:33 pm

I would be happy to Kim! Aromatics International offers many wonderful carriers – you can purchase beeswax and Shea butter there. Here’s a direct link to the carriers they sell: https://www.aromatics.com/products/carrier-oils-butters

Dulcie July 10, 2017 at 7:15 am

Hi, Andrea!
Love this recipe, but I think I’m allergic to shea butter. This will work with coconut oil, right?
=)

Andrea Butje July 10, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Hi Dulcie!
Yep! You could substitute with Coconut oil! Another option you could try would be half Cocoa Butter and half Coconut oil in place of the Shea.