How To Know Exactly Which Oils To Use In Your Blends!

by Andrea Butje on July 17, 2017

Have you ever wanted to make an Aromatherapy blend, but you didn’t have the essential oils in the recipe?

In that case, you might find yourself saying something like, “Black Spruce essential oil? What is that? And what can I use instead so I can make this blend effectively?”

What about phototoxicity? Do you feel confident blending with phototoxic citrus essential oils such as Lemon, which can potentially cause skin reactions in sunlight?

If you’re sometimes confused by aspects of Aromatherapy like this, I think you’d really enjoy the confidence that comes with becoming an Aromatherapy expert.

Understanding the ins and outs of essential oils can help you know which oil to substitute instead of Black Spruce, Picea mariana (try Hemlock, Tsuga canadensis), and how many drops of Lemon to use in 2 oz of jojoba (stick with 12 drops or less per 1 oz of carrier, and you’ll be fine).

Being an expert in Aromatherapy can also help you with issues such as:

• Understanding how to blend safely for children (even babies) and pregnant women, so you can help them without worrying about causing reactions.
  • Finally mastering blending dilutions, so you know whether to dilute an essential oil at 1, 2, or 3%, and how to mathematically calculate that dilution.
  • Grasping basic essential oil chemistry, so you understand why different essential oils have different effects and safety considerations, and you can choose the right ones for your blends based on science.
  • Understanding how essential oils work with the body, so you can know what kinds of blends to make to complement the body’s natural healing processes.
  • Reading GC/MS reports, so you can identify whether an essential oil is pure and unadulterated. (Purity has a big impact on your blends, since adulterated oils can cause negative reactions.)
  • Finally learning to correctly pronounce all those Latin names!

Having the confidence to make the right blends for your family and friends is one of the most rewarding aspects of being an Aromatherapy expert.

There is nothing better than knowing in your heart that you helped someone feel better with a natural blend you made based on your knowledge of science and research!

Joyce July 25, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Hi Andrea,
Can you suggest a place to buy unscented cream? I cannot find in at any of the three sites suggested in your app.

Thanks

Andrea Butje July 26, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Joyce!
I love this one from Aromatics! Makes blending a breeze!

Joyce July 26, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Thanks so much, Andrea.
I am so impressed with everything I have seen on your videos, app and website. But, above all, your accessibility is truly amazing considering how busy you must be.

Doris Turner July 21, 2017 at 7:26 pm

More questions. I have been using Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap, lemon, plain, and tea tree. Can I use one of these in the recipes?

Andrea Butje July 24, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Yes Doris if you like Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap you could use it! It’s a personal preference.

Doris Turner July 19, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Been looking for organic jojoba wax everywhere
on line. No luck. Please advise.

Andrea Butje July 19, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Hi Doris!
I can suggest here at Aromatics for organic jojoba:

Doris Turner July 21, 2017 at 7:16 pm

So, I can use oil instead of wax. What are the proportions. Aloe Cream calls for 1.25 oz jojoba wax. Do I use 1 oz jojoba oil?

Andrea Butje July 24, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Hi Doris!
Jojoba wax and Jojoba oil are actually the same thing! Jojoba oil is a liquid wax, so the wax and oil are used interchangeably. I would stay with the amount the recipe calls for.

Valeriya July 19, 2017 at 3:28 am

Hi hi, i am waiting for the book as well, but have the same issue with which oils to buy…i live in Cyprus…deliveries here are sooo difficult and expensive…any suggestions? Thanks a lot for your help!

Andrea Butje July 20, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Hi Valeriya!
I am sorry I don’t have a suggestion for something local to you. Try here:
Florihaha (France) – http://www.florihana.com/en/

cyndie macneil July 17, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Hello, i have ordered your book & look forward to receiving it. I live in Toronto Canada….where is the safest place to purchase essential oils from? is online safe? thank you!

Andrea Butje July 18, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Hi Cyndie!
We like to recommend buying from companies that import directly from the distillers, that test every batch of oil with GC/MS, and that share the batch specific GC/MS reports with their customers. This ensures quality and demonstrates accountability.

I have visited Lucie B. Mainguy in Quebec at Aliksir. It’s a great family run business and I recommend her oils: http://www.aliksir.com/

Tell her Andrea at Aromahead Institute sent you!