How To Make Natural Beeswax Candles with Essential Oils

by Andrea Butje on June 22, 2015

natural beeswax candles light up my life!Making natural beeswax candles is one of my favorite hobbies!

I make candles for myself, and for friends and family. They make wonderful gifts! I sometimes make more than I need, so I’ll have them on hand for events like birthdays and holidays . . . and a few in storage for me!

Natural beeswax candles have no synthetic ingredients that can cause negative reactions, so they are great options for people with sensitivities.

The ingredients and utensils I use are:

• A Pyrex measuring cup.
  • A little jojoba wax (Simmondsia chinensis). I use this to “grease” the Pyrex measuring cup, so it’s easier to clean when I’m finished.
  • Glass jars. You can use any size glass jars that you like. It’s fun to get creative with different kinds of jars!
  • Beeswax pellets (Cera alba). The amount of pellets you need depends on the size of your jar. I use enough to fill my jar once, then fill it again halfway (so I fill my jar 1.5 times).
  • An organic wick. It’s important to use a natural wick, so you’re only releasing healthy particles into the air when you burn your beeswax candle.
  • Scissors (to trim the wick).
  • A glass stir rod or a spoon.
  • Essential oils. You can choose any essential oils you’d like (but I have a few suggestions below).
  • Chop sticks. (I’ll explain in the directions!)

I made a YouTube video so you can see how to make natural beeswax candles and follow along step by step.

The process is so simple. Here are the steps:

1. “Grease” your Pyrex measuring cup with a little jojoba.
  2. “Measure” your beeswax. Just fill your jar with beeswax pellets 1.5 times, and pour the beeswax pellets into your Pyrex.
  3. Melt the beeswax on the stove top using a DIY “double boiler” method. You can see this method in the YouTube video. It’s just a pot filled ¼ with water, and the Pyrex in the pot with the handle hanging over the side.
  4. While the beeswax is melting, “measure” your wicks. Place them in the jars, and trim them so there’s a decent amount sticking up over the top of the jar. Balance the chop sticks on the top of the jar to hold the wick in place.
  5. Measure your essential oils. I use about 25 drops of essential oil (1 ml) for every 1 oz (28 gm) of beeswax. It’s enough to scent the whole room.
  6. When your beeswax is melted, remove it from the heat and add your essential oils. Stir gently with a glass stir rod or the end of a spoon.
  7. Pour it carefully into the jar, being sure to hold the wick in place.

In the YouTube video, I use Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanoides) and Vintage Patchouli (Pogostemom cablin) essential oils. They have rich, deep, long-lasting scents that are just right for natural beeswax candles! But as I mentioned, you can choose your favorite oils. Heavier base note oils work really well.

Here’s a beautiful blend for a woodsy, floral candle. Make sure to adjust the amount of drops according to how much beeswax you’re using:

• 9 drops Cedarwood (Juniperus virginiana)
  • 7 drops Geranium (Pelargonium roseum x asperum)
  • 9 drops Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanoides)

Time to clean up! You greased your Pyrex with jojoba, right? It can be tough to get the dried beeswax off without pre-greasing your Pyrex, so if you forgot, you might have to use some hot water, elbow grease, and something to scrape the wax off.

Enjoy!

heart shape candles

Joy-Ellen Hilder March 21, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Hi, what essential oils would you recommend for lung health…my partner has lung cancer and I would love to be able to ease his coughing…thankyou xx
ps…love your page

Andrea Butje March 22, 2017 at 10:43 am

Hi Joy-Ellen,
It’s so difficult to see the people you love facing such hardships like this. As an Aromatherapist I use essential oils to support wellness and since I am not a medical professional I can’t advise for lung cancer.

What I can say is that oils can be used for calming and emotional support to reduce stress and anxiety.

With that in mind, Cedarwood is a gentle, soothing, respiratory oil and using Cedarwood to diffuse or make an inhaler to smell can have a calming effect. When we feel more calm, the body is better able to cope with whatever else is happening.

Marisa February 19, 2017 at 12:07 am

hi! thanks for the beautiful tutorial! i am wondering where you got the organic wicks, what brand they are, etc. — the only ones I am finding on amazon are hemp. I wasn’t sure if that’s what you’re using.. also, have you experimented with wooden wicks? i like the look of them so i wondered if they are just as good!

Andrea Butje February 20, 2017 at 11:06 pm
Jenn January 16, 2017 at 1:11 am

Great video. Is there an alternative to jojoba oil usable? Coconut perhaps?

Andrea Butje January 17, 2017 at 11:28 am

Jenn yes you can! I personally find Jojoba works well as it is a wax.

Tatiana December 7, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Hello!
I wanted to use fragrance oils instead of essential oils for my beeswax candles and was wondering if you know if these work as good? And if so, what ratio should I use?

Thank you!
Tatiana

Andrea Butje December 8, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Hi Tatiana!
I have not worked with fragrance oils. It is a personal preference, and my preference is to use essential oils as fragrance oils are artificially created often containing synthetic products. I am a bit of a purist that way. 🙂

Karin Gustafson Kennedy November 30, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Hi I enjoyed your tutorial as well- I have been experimenting with Christmas tree scents- I have found a mixture I like, but doesn’t seem nearly a strong enough in smell when I burn the candle- i started with your ratio up to the ratio of 1ml essential oil to 1 oz wax- still not strong enough. Any advice? Is the heat from the melted wax evaporating the oil??

Andrea Butje December 1, 2016 at 12:30 am

Hi Karen,
It can depend on the oils you are using. I would recommend using oils that are heavier with base notes such as Patchouli or Vetiver.
Here’s a blog post you may enjoy reading the ‘notes’ of an oil.

Sara October 28, 2016 at 9:01 pm

What a wonderful video, thank you for making it. Also what a relaxing voice and manner you have!

Andrea Butje October 29, 2016 at 10:25 am

Sara, that’s so sweet of you to say! Making my own candles relaxes me 🙂

Lisa October 4, 2016 at 9:31 am

Hi Andrea, I was wondering if it’s safe to burn candles made with essential oils around children? Thanks!

Andrea Butje October 4, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Lisa, ambient diffusing like this is generally safe. You’ll want to burn the candle in a safe place that’s well ventilated being safety conscious around children – keep it out of reach and don’t leave it unattended – brushing up against it can cause burns

Lisa October 5, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Thanks so much!

Andree September 30, 2016 at 10:09 am

Hi Andrea!

Thank you for all your help.
I struggle to find essential oils for candles in UK. Is the fragrance destroying all the good benefits of the beeswax?

Thanks
Andreea

Andrea Butje October 4, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Hi Andree! In the UK, you could try Quinessence – http://www.quinessence.com/

Lauren September 26, 2016 at 2:00 am

Hi, I just ordered some of the beeswax pellets that you suggested from New Zealand. I am looking forward to a delicious natural honey smell, and am not planing on adding any essential oils. I noticed that many of the other recipes I see on other sites suggest you add coconut oil to the beeswax, since they say it is too hard otherwise. Will this dilute down the delicious aroma? I notice you didn’t seems to add any extra oil. Fill me on on your secrets!!!! Why do others say working with beeswax can be tricky? Many thanks, Lauren
Thanks,

Andrea Butje September 26, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Hi Lauren! I’m flattered but I have no secrets! I’ve just been “playing” and making my own beeswax candles for the love and enjoyment – I’m not a professional candle maker. I’ve not used coconut oil, only the beeswax but I think other ideas are fun too. Maybe try it both ways and let me know which you enjoy.

Brittany August 24, 2016 at 9:25 am

Hi Andrea!

Love your tutorial and YouTube video!
I need some help though… I made my first few candles in small jars like you did in the video. And they were perfect!! Then I decided to make them in a larger jar… and as it cooled a big hole was created right by the wicked in the middle 🙁
Any tips on how to fix this?
And can I melt the wax and reuse it for another try?
Thanks! <3

Andrea Butje August 25, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Hi Brittany!
I am thrilled to hear you love the Aromahead YouTube vidoes! Yay!!

Hmm, I haven’t experienced that but it’s all part of the charm of homemade products. You may be able to gently remelt the wax to achieve a smooth top. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

S.T. April 21, 2016 at 11:56 am

Thanks for writing this article, it was really helpful! But is oil the only liquid that can give candles a scent?

Andrea Butje April 22, 2016 at 10:24 am

Hi there – I prefer to use essential oils so I know that they are pure plant extracts that are scenting the candles 🙂

Jennifer March 4, 2016 at 2:07 am

So happy to have found your blog and will certainly be looking you up on youtube. I do have a question about essential oils in beeswax candles.

I’m definitely a novice when it comes to essential oils, but my favorite one is Thieves because of the purification quality. We diffuse it in the air when someone thinks they are getting sick and I think it definitely helps. However, it is utterly expensive for a 5ml bottle ($45). I have friends that I want to try it when their littles are sick, but can’t afford it. So my question is, do you think Thieves will still have its purification quality if used in a candle? Do you think it would smell weird considering beeswax has a honey scented undertone?

This will also be my first time making candles too, so that’s exciting!

Andrea Butje March 4, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Hi Jennifer – Candles are used more for ambiance. For therapeutic use, I would suggest diffuser is better. There are many diffusers out there, and the ultrasonic ones uses very little oil, so check online. You may only need to add 5-10 drops at a time. I also have a lot of other diffuser blends you can try in the blog. Here’s one for cold and flu: http://www.aromahead.com/blog/2014/12/29/aromatherapy-diffuser-blend-colds-flu/ Hope this helps!

Nidia February 23, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Hi Andrea!

First, so glad I discovered you on YouTube. You have the best info regarding essential oils.

I just purchased your recipe e-book and I will be trying many of those recipes. I was hoping there would be some essential oil recipes for beeswax candles. Do you have any candle recipes list anywhere or that you could share? I personally love fall/cinnamon(y) scents almost all year round 🙂 trying to find a good one for my candles.

Thank you for all the info.

Nidia

Andrea Butje February 24, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Hi Nidia – so glad you’re enjoying the YouTube videos! Thanks so much for the sweet compliment 🙂
I have a few candle recipes here on the blog – http://www.aromahead.com/blog/?s=candle
Hope this helps!

Nidia February 24, 2016 at 7:46 pm

You’re the best! Thank you so much!!

Andrea Butje February 25, 2016 at 9:36 am

You’re welcome Nidia!

Aubrey January 14, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Hi Andrea! Thanks for such a great tutorial!
I have been researching essential oils in beeswax candles lately, but am finding many who say essential oils shouldn’t be used in candles or that some should not be used, due to the heat.
However, I cannot find any specific research on what temperatures are or are not safe for essential oils.
Do you have an experience or recommendations as to what is or is not safe or where I could look to find this information?
Thanks!
Aubrey

Andrea Butje January 14, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Hi Aubrey – glad you enjoyed the this blog post! Heat can change the properties of oils when they’re being heated at a high temperature for an extended period of time (like leaving oils in a car on a hot day). I use essential oils in beeswax candles for the ambiance and aroma rather than for their therapeutic properties. Hope this helps 🙂

Aubrey January 15, 2016 at 12:58 pm

This does help, thank you! I want this use the essential oils as a natural, chemical free fragrance option. Any other benefits that might come with its would be a bonus. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be harmful or dangerous if I did so.

Petie January 4, 2016 at 1:25 pm

After all the holidays I am just getting ’round to making candles and I LOVE them, So easy, so inexpensive and I get the scents I want! Also, love your blogs Andrea. Happy New Year.

Andrea Butje January 5, 2016 at 9:45 am

Petie – so great that you’re loving the candles, I absolutely love them! Happy New Year to you as well 🙂

Walter December 13, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Can you direct me to some good essential oil blends? I don’t mind experimenting I just would prefer a good starting point or two. I am not a big fan of Patchouli so any help would be great.

Andrea Butje December 14, 2015 at 10:28 am

Hi Walter – it really depends on the aroma you’re trying to create. I’d suggest taking a look at some of the diffuser blends I have here on the Aromahead blog and using those for your candles: http://www.aromahead.com/blog/?s=diffuser

Kelly October 16, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Hi Andrea,
Love the video! I am having trouble finding organic candle wicks, do you have any recommendations for where to get them? Thanks!

Andrea Butje October 16, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Hey Kelly – so glad to hear you enjoyed it! I usually buy these wicks from Amazon – http://amzn.to/1RNe6yr

Danny July 8, 2015 at 4:49 am

Do we need to use jojoba oil to ‘grease’ the pyrex cup, or can we use olive oil, sunflower oil, …

Andrea Butje July 8, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Hi Danny – you can use any vegetable oil of your choice for that. 🙂

Desiree July 7, 2015 at 11:10 am

Hi Andrea,
Do you think using a bug repellant blend would be effective? I was hoping to burn them by the pool at night. I’m thinking Cedarwood, Patchouli, Citronella and Basil. I’m trying to replace the bug repellant candles from the store.

Andrea Butje July 8, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Hi Desiree – The candles are used mainly for ambiance, and not for therapeutic use. It may not be very effective as a bug repellent. But it’s worth a try. Let me know how it works! 🙂

Cimmi July 3, 2015 at 7:29 am

Hi Andrea, everything I’ve read or been told says oils should not be heated or used in say, a candle warmer as the heat will damage them or cause them to go rancid. Why is it okay to use them in these candles? I’ve been making scrubs, body butters, lip balms etc. with my oils and would love to be able to make candles too. Also, where do you get your beeswax? Thanks!

Andrea Butje July 3, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Hi Cimmi – The candles are not used for therapeutic use – I like to use it more for creating a warm and inviting space and for ambiance. You can get beautiful organic beeswax here: https://www.aromatics.com/products/carrier-oils-butters/beeswax-pellets-organic

Cimmi July 4, 2015 at 7:53 am

Thank you! I must give them a try!

Andrea Butje July 6, 2015 at 12:09 pm

You’re welcome Cimmi 🙂

yumei silva June 24, 2015 at 10:21 am

Love your video! I made the beeswax candles with lemon and peppermint. The cold throw was very strong. However, when the candle was being burned, I hardly smelled anything. I was not expecting a strong aroma as the fragrance oil. But I was not able to detect any scent…
Did this happen to you? Or I didn’t use the right oils? Thank you, Andrea!

Andrea Butje June 25, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Hi Yumei – So great that you enjoyed the video, I had a lot of fun making it! For candles, I would recommend using oils that are heavier with base notes such as Patchouli or Vetiver. Lemon and Peppermint have faster evaporation rate and as you experienced, it’s not ideal for using in candles. For therapeutic use, I would suggest using Lemon and Peppermint in a diffuser instead of candles. It would disperse the oils better for inhaling the benefits. I love using candles for atmosphere, but not for therapeutic use. 🙂

yumei silva June 28, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Thank you Andrea! That makes sense.

Andrea Butje June 29, 2015 at 11:55 am