What dilution is right for essential oil massage blends?

by Andrea Butje on March 27, 2017

Diluting essential oil massage blendsWhen I make essential oil Massage blends, I usually stick to about a 2% dilution.

2% Dilution

• 1 oz (30 ml) — 10 to 12 drops
  • 2 oz (60 ml) — 20 to 24 drops

That’s assuming I’m doing a relaxation massage, and not blending for any specific issue. If I just want to encourage a calm mind and relaxed body, 2% is strong enough. That comes to about 10–12 drops of essential oil for every 1 oz (30 ml) of carrier oil.

Here’s one of my favorite essential oil Massage blends for relaxation. You’ll need a 2 oz (60 ml) glass bottle.

Calm Muscles – Happy Muscles

• 2 oz (60 ml) jojoba wax (Simmondsia chinensis)
  • 2 drops Ylang Ylang essential oil (Cananga odorata)
  • 2 drops Vetiver essential oil (Vetiveria zizanoides)
  • 10 drops Cedarwood essential oil (Juniperus virginiana)
  • 6 drops Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia)

That’s a 2% dilution—a total of 20 drops of oil in 2 oz (60 ml) of jojoba wax.

But sometimes I want something a little stronger.

If I’ve hiked a little too long during the day and I feel sore in the evening, I want a blend that will soothe my muscles, so I’ll increase the dilution to 3%.

3% Dilution

• 1 oz (30 ml) — 15 to 18 drops
  • 2 oz (60 ml) — 30 to 36 drops

So if I’m still making a blend in 2 oz (60 ml) of jojoba wax, and I want to increase the dilution from 2% to 3% how many drops of essential oil will I need?

You got it! 30 drops (3%) is 15–18 drops of essential oil per oz (30 ml).

Here’s a 3% essential oil Massage blend that never fails to ease my muscles after a long day.

We Love Relaxation Massages!

• 2 oz (60 ml) jojoba wax (Simmondsia chinensis)
  • 16 drops Roman Chamomile essential oil (Chamaemelum nobile)
  • 6 drops Peppermint essential oil (Mentha x piperita)
  • 6 drops Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis)
  • 8 drops Ravintsara essential oil (Cinnamomum camphora ct. 1,8 cineole)

This sports Massage oil includes essential oils that are relaxing, cooling, soothing to inflammation, and healing to strained muscles.

If I’m blending for children, I’ll use an even lower dilution.

1% is usually enough for children between five and 12 years old.

1% Dilution

• 1 oz (30 ml) — 5 to 6 drops
  • 2 oz (60 ml) — 10 to 12 drops

And that’s how I adjust dilutions for kids, relaxation, and acute issues!

If you want to know even more about using essential oil blends for Massage, you can come to my FREE webinar, “Reduce Your Clients’ Pain Using Aromatherapy.” It’s perfect for Massage Therapists, but you don’t have to be a Massage Therapist to use all the recipes you’ll learn at the webinar. I hope you’ll attend!

stacey April 20, 2017 at 3:33 pm

I was wondering how you protected yourself when giving massages with essential oils all day?
Is there a protocol that you would recommend for massage therapists when using essential oils in their massages? Do you wear gloves? What about inhaling all the oils from your customer’s massages all day? I’m wondering about sensitization and possible over exposure? Thank you for your time and advise.

Andrea Butje April 21, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Hi Stacey!
There is a possibility of over exposure and everyone is different with their tolerance levels. We like to recommend the therapist uses a 1-2 % dilution, take in fresh air, drink lots of water and watch for your own reactions by listening to the body. Taking breaks from using oils time to time would be helpful, too.

Susan April 14, 2017 at 2:27 pm

What is a recommended dilution for a 10ml roller ball?

Andrea Butje April 15, 2017 at 10:06 am

Hi Susan!
When blending in 10ml of a carrier, for a 2% dilution we recommend 4 drops of essential oil.

Deanna Ashmore March 29, 2017 at 5:23 pm

What essential oil recipe can you recommend for foot neuropathy? Chemo treatments I had in 2012 caused my neuropathy. I am now healthy and do not take any medications. I am looking for an alternative to perscription medication to give me some relief from the pain.

Andrea Butje March 30, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Deanna,
I have blended for neuropathy in the past and sometimes it can help, sometimes it does help ease the burning sensations a bit and other times it has been ineffective. I have seen some ease from time to time from a 1 oz cream with 5 drops peppermint and 10 drops lavender. Also if you have a hot burning sensation, peppermint hydrosol sprayed on the affected area can offer some relief.

tracie March 28, 2017 at 10:16 am

What works best for mastectomy scarring with pain?
Is there an oil or blend that would reduce the pain an help breakup the scar tissue a bit! Thanks

Andrea Butje March 29, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Hi Tracie,
The surgical incision would need to be fully healed first. Once healed, I would suggest to discuss with the primary care doctor and if they approve, you could try this Healing Scar Tissue blend (applied multiple times daily).

Healing Scar Tissue
10 drops Frankincense (Boswellia carterii)
5 drops Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum)
5 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
1 oz Calendula infused oil

Lily March 27, 2017 at 8:49 am

Hi Andrea!
What are your tips for using vetiver as it is such a thick oil. From what I understand this is normal. It is best just to get rid of the reducer and use an eye dropper? I’ve read some ppl let the bottle sit in hot water prior to use but that didn’t work for me. I just used water as hot as the tap goes.

Andrea Butje March 27, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Hi Lily!
Vetiver is a naturally thick oil that can thicken over time. Sometimes it helps to transfer the oil into a new bottle with a new orifice reducer. And when all else fails, I recommend to take in the aroma of Vetiver as some days it requires immense patience! 😉