Exploring the Chemistry of Pine, Spruce and Fir Essential Oils
With essential oils that have a lot in common, it's important to understand their differences. Learning the chemistry will help you know which oils to choose so that you can blend most effectively.
Component Blending focuses on conifer oils that share similar qualities, and examines what makes each oil unique. The class includes an in-depth study of the chemistry, therapeutic uses, and blending techniques for 14 different pine, spruce and fir essential oils.
In Component Blending, you'll:
- Learn research-based medicinal properties of the main essential oil components in 14 different pine, spruce and fir oils.
- Blend with essential oils based on their chemical components, so that you can choose between similar oils to create effective therapeutic blends.
This class is perfect for those looking to deepen their understanding of essential oil chemistry.
Meet Your Instructor
Andrea Butje, founder of Aromahead Institute, is an internationally recognized Aromatherapist and teacher who is changing the educational paradigm through her inspired approach to teaching online and creating community.
One of the most innovative online schools in the country, the Institute's elegant and intuitive classroom design makes navigating online learning a uniquely user-friendly experience.
The Aromahead Institute meets the rigorous training and certification qualifications of three highly respected organizations: the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA), the Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA) and the International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists (IFPA).
Since 1999, Aromahead Institute has had an extensive alumni network of international graduates who have gone on to pursue successful careers and businesses rooted in the vast network of the healing arts profession.
As a consultant to importers of high-quality essential oils, Andrea travels the world, building relationships with distillers and small organic farmers. In 2013, Andrea won the Alliance of International Aromatherapists's Lifetime Achievement Award for her innovative, heartfelt work in educating and connecting people involved in all aspects of the Aromatherapy industry—from distillers, to renowned authors, to beginners in the study.
I am so thankful for your Component Blending class! When I worked through the class Potent Percentage Charts I actually said, "HOLY HANNAH" out loud and I am home alone! What an awesome tool! I am amazed and delighted. I am looking forward to all that is ahead and hope that you will never stop developing classes.
You will be introduced to the conifer trees. We'll differentiate between pines, spruces, and firs, and go over the seven genera (the plural for genus) under the Pinaceae plant family.
We'll teach you the concept of isomers and explain those prefixes you sometimes see before a component's name, such as α-pinene and ß-pinene.
You'll create blends focused on a single chemical component, and blends including multiple components. These two blending techniques will improve your blending skills by helping you choose the right essential oils for specific issues. In addition, you'll learn about oils that are high in antioxidant components, and what that means.
A variety of teaching styles and tools are used to guide you through the blending and chemistry lessons:
- You'll watch six professional videos led by Andrea, including video recipes for melt-and-pour bar soap, cold and flu salt scrub, and a rich cream made from scratch.
- For those of you who enjoy visual learning, you can look at illustrations of the components' molecular structures.
- Andrea has created original component blending charts, a simple yet profound way to get to know the chemical and medicinal properties of your essential oils. Your charts will be your constant companions throughout the course, as well as for all your future component blending. You'll learn to create your own charts for any group of oils.
By the end of the course, you'll have formed a new relationship with an incredible group of essential oils by getting to know their unique aromas, common and Latin names, chemistries, and medicinal properties.
Conifer Essential Oils
- Balsam Fir (Abies balsamea)
- Black Spruce (Picea mariana)
- Douglas Pine (Douglas Fir) (Pseudotsuga menzies)
- Engelmann Spruce (Picea engelmannii)
- Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis)
- Norway Pine (Red Pine) (Pinus resinosa)
- Pinon Pine (Pinus edulis)
- Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa)
- Scotch Pine (Pinus sylvestris)
- Siberian Fir (Abies sibirica)
- Utah Juniper (Juniperus osteosperma)
- White Fir (Abies concolor)
- White Pine (Pinus strobus)
- White Spruce (Picea glauca)
Goals and Objectives
- Differentiate between 14 different conifer oils so you can confidently choose which ones to use for unique situations.
- Deepen your knowledge of pine, spruce and fir essential oil chemistry, so that creating blends based on their chemical components comes easily.
- Expand your understanding of GC/MS reports (Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry), and how they relate to the therapeutic properties of essential oils.
- Become well versed in two advanced blending techniques: single component blending, and multiple component blending. This will help you understand how to emphasize different therapeutic properties in your blends.
You'll also blend the following products, focusing on the chemical
components of each blend:
- Melt-and-pour bar soap
- A thick moisturising cream made from scratch
- Inhaler for sinus and immune support
- Antimicrobial essential oil blend for soap
- Hand cleanser blend
- Salt scrub for colds and flu
This intermediate level course requires a beginning level knowledge of essential oil chemistry.
This in-depth course introduces you to 14 different pine, spruce and fir essential oils. You will learn to differentiate between a group of oils that seem similar, yet have many unique properties.
Lessons are taught through a series of step-by-step videos, illustrations, activities, and blending exercises. Upon completion of the class, you'll have an advanced knowledge of the components in conifer essential oils.
Your Component Blending
- Access to exclusive online course materials organized into four guided lessons.
- Six professional video tutorials on blending produced by Andrea exclusively for the Component Blending class. Seeing the recipes presented in Andrea's engaging videos makes it easy to follow along step by step, and you can watch the videos as many times as you like (even after you complete the class).
- 11 original Aromatherapy recipes, blends, and tips developed by Andrea Butje exclusively for the Component Blending class.
- 14 of Andrea's detailed datasheets for the essential oils studied in the course. Aromahead's printer-friendly datasheets clearly lay out information for easy reference, including each oil's chemical components and therapeutic properties, chemical family, safety data, Latin name, botanical family, plant part origin and the aroma.
- An extensive private list of resources for high-quality Aromatherapy products and related services (such as bottles and other packaging).
- Contact information for prominent Aromatherapy organizations and journals. Stay current with the industry, learn about the conferences, and gather articles from Aromatherapy experts.
- 15% off discount on all essential oils, carrier oils, butters, bottles, supplies, and specific blending kits from Aromatics International for six months after you register.
- Permanent unlimited access to all the course materials and videos, including any updates to the content, even after you have completed the program.
- You have permanent unlimited access to all the course materials and any subsequent updates to the course content, even after you have completed the program. View each video as many times as you like.
- Start the class the moment you complete your registration.
- Work at your own pace and on your own timeline.
- Interact with the Aromahead team along with all Aromahead students and graduates on an online forum where you can ask questions.
- Approved for 28 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for Massage Therapy by NY, FL and nationally by NCBTMB.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs):
This program is approved for 28 hours (units) of continuing education for Massage Therapy by NY, FL and nationally by NCBTMB.
Pay in Full
- Total Tuition: $450
The online component blending class is incredible. I learned more about the conifer oils than I ever thought possible and now have 2 new favorite oils, Siberian Fir and Pinon Pine. This class along with the Aromatherapy Certification Program has really increased my knowledge of essential oil chemistry. I now feel completely comfortable blending from a component perspective. The class has brought me a deeper understanding to my work as an Aromatherapist and Massage Therapist. I know my clients will be able to tell the difference.
- Trey Andersont
The Component Blending Course represents the loadstone that will keep my left brain (analytics) and right brain (creativity) working together as I pursue Certification in Aromatherapy.
Although the course focused on conifers it was the discussion of chemical families and chemical components (which based upon standup research had therapeutic benefits) which presented me with an 'aha' moment.
So, going forward my essential oil inventory will include color-coding representing significant chemical families by oil; physically the oils will be organized by chemical family. My lists of standard client issues (eg pain, muscular aches) will include oils that address those issues AND the responsible chemical components within those oils.
- Steve Crews
I have to say that I found this class to be much more than I expected. I had never heard of component blending before. Now that I have a clear understanding of the importance of choosing essential oils based on their therapeutic components it will be the blending approach I will use most. I found this course captivated my interest from the beginning to the end, I loved everything about it and couldn't wait to get back to it. Thank you so much for providing us with this amazing learning opportunity. Looking forward to seeing what you will be making available to us in the future.
- Joyce Lee
I love the class. I really appreciate Andrea because it is very difficult to find someone who can really teach with such expertise and support such that you never feel alone working online.
The information in the course was much more than I expected. Andrea gives you complex content in a very simple way and then you can understand what you never understood before about essential oil chemistry and blending. The course brought me closer to true aromatherapy.
Thanks to the course I feel much more confidence in blending and I really appreciate a deep understanding about working with essential oils.
- Begona Sanchez
This intermediate level course requires a
beginning level knowledge of essential oil chemistry.
Supplies are not included in the tuition.
We have designed a kit of essential oils, carrier oils, and bottles needed to complete the blending exercises in this course. The kit is sold separately through Aromatics International. View the essential oils and supplies covered in the course here:
Important Note: Purchasing the kit is optional. If you have your own essential oils and supplies you may use them.